Jessops labour wards

They were really good, in general, with both of our children. I do think they're understaffed though. With our second my wife was having a hard time and the midwife asked for an epidural.....the doctor turned up 20 minutes after our son was born...he was already in the incubator and the doctor looked a bit embarrassed and said 'I guess you don't need this now'....the midwife had asked for it 3 hours earlier. On the whole though they were very good :-)

They were really good, in general, with both of our children. I do think they're understaffed though. With our second my wife was having a hard time and the midwife asked for an epidural.....the doctor turned up 20 minutes after our son was born...he was already in the incubator and the doctor looked a bit embarrassed and said 'I guess you don't need this now'....the midwife had asked for it 3 hours earlier. On the whole though they were very good :-)

The problem with epidurals, is they require an anesthetist, and particularly at night, they can be few and far between, and are very often busy in theatre with ceasarians and other operations

I've had 2 very different experiences with both of my children. I went in at 6pm ish with my first and she was born just after midnight. Couldn't fault the staff, they kept an eye on me and were very supportive. They didn't bother with me too much on the ward afterwards, but that suited me fine. I wasn't having any problems breast feeding anyway.

It was totally different with my second however...as soon as I got to the hospital I was told that they were very busy and there was only 1 midwife and 1 student midwife on duty. I was left in the arrival room, with my waters leaking everywhere (sorry tmi) for what semt like forever. I was finally given a room and examined by the student midwife who thought my baby was breech, which sent me into a right panick. Luckily the proper midwife confirmed that wasnt the case shortly after (6cm by this time) I told her I had hoped for a water birth but she said it wouldnt be possible as they didnt have enough staff :( I was gutted. I was given gas and air and left to it. The next time I saw her (which was over an hour later) I was pushing my baby out. She was born very quickly, then placed on me in a towel and without either of us being examined, the midwife left and I didnt see her again. I was left like that for an hour, until some more midwives came on duty. Im not blaming the midwife at all, but she should never have been put in the position she was. Thankfully after that, we were taken care of.

This might sound like I'm moaning for nothing, but I was in excrutiating pain, and lost a lot of blood, and then to be left for so long afterwards...well it was just very different to my first time.

I hope it was a one off on that day, and that Jessiops aren't usually that short staffed....

Jessops were useless! I wouldn't let them deliver my paper after the performance we had!

I didn't have a very good time there either! I'm pregnant again and quite worried about having to go through what I did last time. The Midwife that helped with the birth was great but the rest of help was awful!!

I didn't have a very good time there either! I'm pregnant again and quite worried about having to go through what I did last time. The Midwife that helped with the birth was great but the rest of help was awful!!

You're not a first time mum this time, so expect them to be a bit more hands-off with you.

You'll here as many negative story's than positive story's about the place, but if you ask me, most people that moan about the place are not moaning about anything really serious, they moan because they weren't treated like royalty or something, with their own room like they were somehow expecting :roll:

Overall the staff there do a great job in difficult circumstances.

Oh what a load of self entitled cows, expecting privacy and dignity when in hospital going through a sometimes frightening and always painful experience, how dare they expect that?

I have been in there twice, the first time everyone was lovely (except one, who told me if I didnt like the pain I shouldn't of got pregnant so young) On the whole very positive though. The second time not so good. I got a midwife that couldnt speak English and it made me feel really uncomfortable, not being spoken to and getting things done to me with no warning. I had to have a c section and they said they would be able to find out what was up with the little man from the cord. They lost the cord. I have three different times of birth wrote down. And during my 4 day stay someone stole £200 out of my bag. It had to be a cleaner as they were the only ones on their own while I was in the shower. they do say dont have money on you, so it was my fault. I was off to pay my MOT, went into labour and forgot, I expected to be sent home, but had complications and the money was the last thing on my mind tbh.

We had our baby boy there last Monday and I have nothing but praise for the staff and facillities.

They do a hard job and in very dificult circumstances and for very little reward.

What did annoy me were all the new mums leaving their babies and creeping out for a fag. They can't be even bothered to use the somking shelter that has been provided for them and insted smoke bang oustide the entrance. Utter filth!!!!

i have given birth at jessops twice the first time was horrendous, now this was due partially to them being extreamly busy and me being left with a student who did not realise i was pushing.

the second time i demanded what i wanted instead of waiting and it was so much better, but i did have a fully trained midwife that time.

both were quite quick labours once i actually got into hospital and i was out the same day both times.

my sister had 2 daughters there around same time as me and she couldnt fault them so i think it depends who you get

I had my daughter at jessops and was in 3 weeks, i had a very dificult labour and my daughter was in scbu and the staff were amazing

I have had 3 children at Jessops, always had 1 to 1 care on labour ward, great care too.

The ante/post natal wards are a little hectic and the staff have less time to spend with you but they still do a great job and if you ask them for somthing they will help all they can.