Jessops labour wards

hi

i'm 34 weeks and just wondering what peoples opinions/experiences where of jessops and the staff there? im goin to antenatal classes in a few weeks... anyone been and have any thoughts on these too?

thanks

Jessops were great with me, although with 2 very quick labours, I never had to go onto the labour ward itself. I went in with my first child, at about 12am, and she was born at 4am, and i stayed in the room until they let me go home at dinner time. My second was born at 8am, after a 1 hour labour, and i was let out at dinner time again.

I didn't do antenatal classes either.

Jessops were useless! I wouldn't let them deliver my paper after the performance we had!

I did the antenatal classes over a 4 week period and tbh they were quite boring and we never went to the final class, however, id always say its worth going as different people may get something out of it.

I was induced 2 weeks early with my son as he was so big so i was booked into a room on a specific date and never went through triage. My 1st midwife who started me off was lovely as were the others who kept coming in to check on me, after 30 hours in labour i was finally moved down to a birthing suite to have my waters broken (and have an epidural as i was shattered) and the midwife there stayed with me all the time, we sat and watch sister act together lol. After about another 8 hours my son ended up in distress and within 2 minutes there were 7 members of staff, including 2 senior doctors, in the room planning an emergency section. They talked me though everything and constantly reassured me and they did this all the way through the procedure they all really were amazing and so friendly. x

You'll here as many negative story's than positive story's about the place, but if you ask me, most people that moan about the place are not moaning about anything really serious, they moan because they weren't treated like royalty or something, with their own room like they were somehow expecting :roll:

Overall the staff there do a great job in difficult circumstances.

i went to jessops with my sister a few years back now, but i was so shocked and upset to find that in a new hospital they did not have separate labour ward for the unlucky women that was going to have a bad ending. she was put in a room on the labour ward with all the other new mothers giving birth to there healthy babies. there was a women outside our room in the birthing pool and one either side. my sister stayed on this ward 24 hours after the birth of her daughter even thou they new the baby was dead all ready.

but the staff was lovely there wasnt a problem with them at all.

Jesssops do a brilliant job when they're not rushed off their feet with loads going into labour at the same time.

If I hadn't have stood my ground with them and insisted on staying at the hospital, even though they wanted to send me home,my son would have been born on the way back home.

I was in tremendous pain and knew he was gonna come before I would get home, being a second child he didn't want to hang around ! - he was born 30 minutes after being told I could go home.

The first midwife - who was a trainee - was not on the ball and thankfully an "old school" midwife came after 20 minutes and saved the day!!

Did the ante-natal classes and the birth plan - but never had chance to even think about putting them into practise !!:D

jessops are useless i didnt want to be treated like royalty or owt but a bit of help wouldnt go a miss, i had to lern to breast feed my son my self as wen he was hungry they was no nurses about, pressed my buzzer an it was 50 mins before they came to me, there was a woman on my ward who gave birth just before me to twins who died not long after an they left her on the ward with me a 3 other new mums, which i thoight was heartless of them, they didnt help me at all then wen i wanted to go home seen as id done it all my self anyway they bollocked me off sayin i wasnt ready, i went an have been fine, my sister had trouble too they r ****e

There'l be just as many people moaning about them as people praising them

if you live in sheffield and are pregnant what options are there other than jessops if you want a hospital birth?

I had my little boy at jessops just over two years ago, i had to be induced and was in for 2 days. The staff were lovely and made us both feel at ease. Could not fault them :)

i had my baby boy there in aug i was in 5 days and id say most of the midwifes support staff wer great only the odd 1 that i didnt like it cant have been that bad il be doing it all again in july :)