"Signing on," without an interpreter!

I think it is disgraceful and have contacted the edit *national* papers about this!

Try the News of the Screws - they're big on untrue scare stories about brown people.

disgusting! why are they here in britain? they should learn the language or else bugger off... wrong on so many levels.

If i wanted to emmigrate i would learn the language and try and secure a job before i went! I even learned to speak basic spanish for a 2 week holiday in the dominican replublic so i didn't seem rude by the locals. Mind you that's probobly me just having a bit of respect

I suggest you read up on Immigration Policy. All migrants entering the U.K are required to demonstrate a certain level of English.

Please don't have the tunnel view of us letting in whoever we want. We do have rules when it comes to English Language.

Personally, I've come across migrants that speak better English that some of the people that have grown up here. (and do doubt sign on)

I suppose you could always adopt the Dutch system.

You've got 6 months to learn the language.

If, at the end of that time you can't speak Dutch, there's no point signing on ... because you're not getting any money.

You won't get any money because you have made yourself unavailable for work by declining to learn to communicate with those who might employ you in their tongue. (Dutch.)

How can you say you want to be a part of Dutch society if you are unwilling to learn to communicate with other members of that society?

This is the best most logical post I have read in this subject so far.

This country would never adopt such a stance though because there would be a brigade of opposition to it on the grounds that its racist or against human rights.

The problem we have is that by our own laws and education we have been brain washed into thinking there is something wrong with wanting people to come here and only have the same opertunities as everyone else and conform to our way of life, if you even mention the Burqua for instance your automatically thrown into the BNP catagory by some to close your argument down.

Try the News of the Screws - they're big on untrue scare stories about brown people.

I bet if I looked at your posts that you would be one of the very people I have just talked of.

Without any locical argument at all I bet you are the type of person to automaticaly shoot people down and skit at them for thinking anything different to what youve been brainwashed into believing.

I am not going to pry into your past posts but I bet you are arnt you ? :)

This country would never adopt such a stance though because there would be a brigade of opposition to it on the grounds that its racist or against human rights.

The problem we have is that by our own laws and education we have been brain washed into thinking there is something wrong with wanting people to come here and only have the same opertunities as everyone else and conform to our way of life, if you even mention the Burqua for instance your automatically thrown into the BNP catagory by some to close your argument down.

DiDo(etc) - but can you define what you believe this to be? I would suggest that we each would have a different interpretation.

I suggest you read up on Immigration Policy. All migrants entering the U.K are required to demonstrate a certain level of English.

Please don't have the tunnel view of us letting in whoever we want. We do have rules when it comes to English Language.

Personally, I've come across migrants that speak better English that some of the people that have grown up here. (and do doubt sign on)

While there are certainly many migrants who have better spoken and written English than natives (see this for an amusing proof

!) but equally certainly there are those who claim some form of benefits without speaking English. While this is a bit of a tricky area to navigate without the race card being over-played by both sides I do strongly believe that you can't be a part of the society without speaking English and if you want the benefits of the society you have to be a part of that society. Obviously you can't expect people to instantly learn by osmosis, hence the need for lessons and a certain threshold to be achieved in a set time. I also tend to think that the learners should be paid a learning stipend (equivalent to income support) while learning the language which is paid without a signing on process. You turn up to your language lessons and learn and you get paid your stipend - then you can go and sign on in English.

Are you assuming the the non-English speaker is from the Indian Sub Continent/Middle East?

DiDo(etc) - but can you define what you believe this to be? I would suggest that we each would have a different interpretation.

No its not hard to grasp, we have laws that say people that are not allowed to live here under a certain criteria must go back to their country of origin, but yet after they have lived here a certain amount of time until its ascertained whether they meet that criteria or not you get a load of drum beaters over here saying how bad it would be to now send them back after they have 'settled in'.

That sort of thing for a start should be stopped and frowned upone before we even start to even tackle the other complex issues, but if that is what you have to compete with, people being against the only bit of legislation we have to deal with the issue of Immigration then the rest of it does not even get debated properly for all of the scaremongering and name calling that surrounds it.

People will stick you in the camp of the 'Get Tough on it all' BNP at the drop of an hat, but there is real debate to be had on the subject and these people that put you in that camp are not helping and in the end only leave the option of getting tough open to us to discuss.

Are you assuming the the non-English speaker is from the Indian Sub Continent/Middle East?

No. are you assuming I am because I use the example of a Burqua to outline my argument to mean I am against those peoples ?

No its not hard to grasp, we have laws that say people that are not allowed to live here under a certain criteria must go back to their country of origin, but yet after they have lived here a certain amount of time until its ascertained whether they meet that criteria or not you get a load of drum beaters over here saying how bad it would be to now send them back after they have 'settled in'.

That sort of thing for a start should be stopped and frowned upone before we even start to even tackle the other complex issues, but if that is what you have to compete with, people being against the only bit of legislation we have to deal with the issue of Immigration then the rest of it does not even get debated properly for all of the scaremongering and name calling that surrounds it.

People will stick you in the camp of the 'Get Tough on it all' BNP at the drop of an hat, but there is real debate to be had on the subject and these people that put you in that camp are not helping and in the end only leave the option of getting tough open to us to discuss.

My apologies. I was actually looking for your interpretation of this part of your previous post -:

and conform to our way of life,

but highlighted all of the previous poost in error. Sorry.

My question was to define "our way of life" -could you? do you think we would all believe it to be the same?

No. are you assuming I am because I use the example of a Burqua to outline my argument to mean I am against those peoples ?

Not at all, I just don't think you would be so vociferous if the person involved was a white European.

The biggest problem in terms of what you are saying is that we are a part of the European Union and as such governed by E.U Law. Therefore, a lot of people that await deportation or are here illegally can apply to the European Court of Human Rights. A lot of would be migrants know this is the case.

Therefore, we can be restricted in terms of implementing immigration law/policy.