"Signing on," without an interpreter!

So, if you don't speak English and the Job Centre cannot provide an interpreter, you can sign on without being asked if you have been looking for work!

I suppose this does leave the system open to abuse. I wonder how many times it happens.

But, this adviser explained to my brothers ex wife, why the other woman was just simply allowed to just sign on without no questioning. They explained that it was because they didn't have the interpreters and the man power.

Inexcusable!

I suppose you could always adopt the Dutch system.

You've got 6 months to learn the language.

If, at the end of that time you can't speak Dutch, there's no point signing on ... because you're not getting any money.

You won't get any money because you have made yourself unavailable for work by declining to learn to communicate with those who might employ you in their tongue. (Dutch.)

How can you say you want to be a part of Dutch society if you are unwilling to learn to communicate with other members of that society?

If you think that at a school such as the former Abbeydale Grange, where 50 different languages were spoken, then if you fall into any of these languages, and find yourself signing on, the Job Centre would need interpreters to interpret at least 50 different languages in Sheffield.

It may not be cost effective for the Job Centre to have interpreters to cater for all languages, but it is surely the principle. We have literally thousands of people signing on, who just are not asked what they are doing to find work and go unchecked. surely this is not right at all.

And that's the nub of the problem. If these people can't (or pretend not to) speak English, there is no way they can be 'looking for work'.

No spikka da English, no Job Seekers' Allowance.

Instead, the JC jobsworths prefer sending often highly educated and qualified English-speakers to scams like A4e, Wise Ability, Shaw Trust, Remploy etc. etc.

But, this adviser explained to my brothers ex wife, why the other woman was just simply allowed to just sign on without no questioning. They explained that it was because they didn't have the interpreters and the man power.

Inexcusable!

Inexcusable is also the adviser discussing another customer's circumstances to your brother's ex wife.

If, at the end of that time you can't speak Dutch, there's no point signing on ... because you're not getting any money.

You won't get any money because you have made yourself unavailable for work by declining to learn to communicate with those who might employ you in their tongue. (Dutch.)

How can you say you want to be a part of Dutch society if you are unwilling to learn to communicate with other members of that society?

I have to say that I agree with this - to be looking for work in the UK you have to be able to speak the language. If you don't learn then you are voluntarily making yourself unavailable for work. The flip side of course is that free and intensive English lessons must be made available to all - I just think they should be a condition of signing on if you are a non English speaker.

Agree with this, but what would the overall cost be, how many people are we talking about and how many different languages ?

Edited by OneVision

I thought all white British now had to spend 30 hours a week for 4 weeks picking up dog dirt and cleaning graffity before they can look for work? Sure it was in The Sun last week.

"OUTRAGE! those brown poor people are getting a slightly different deal that these white poor people!!"

nothing like watching people arguing about how to divide up the ever smaller cake they are given.

"OUTRAGE! those brown poor people are getting a slightly different deal that these white poor people!!"

nothing like watching people arguing about how to divide up the ever smaller cake they are given.

Give that man a hand. Somebody has hit the nail on the head.

disgusting! why are they here in britain? they should learn the language or else bugger off... wrong on so many levels.

If i wanted to emmigrate i would learn the language and try and secure a job before i went! I even learned to speak basic spanish for a 2 week holiday in the dominican replublic so i didn't seem rude by the locals. Mind you that's probobly me just having a bit of respect

When i go to sign on they dont ask me the questions they just look to see if iv filled out the booklet each time an im english an dont need interpreter

disgusting! why are they here in britain? they should learn the language or else bugger off... wrong on so many levels.

If i wanted to emmigrate i would learn the language and try and secure a job before i went! I even learned to speak basic spanish for a 2 week holiday in the dominican replublic so i didn't seem rude by the locals. Mind you that's probobly me just having a bit of respect

Would you also learn to write, spell and punctuate correctly too?