After 20 years the World Student Games not yet ½ paid off.

1991 World Student Games = was it worth it?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. 1991 World Student Games = was it worth it?

• Yes
    • No

I still think it was worth it. Overall, it helped change Sheffield from a very backwards city with little going for it to a slightly backwards city with a few things going for it.

I agree. It provided the city with world class sporting facilities which have brought event after event here since.

If the Tories weren't so spiteful, it would have been much more of a success. If it had happened in London, I'm sure there would have been much more central government funding made available. The Tories have always made it clear, Sheffield will always be punished, that's why they awarded Leeds the armories, when Sheffield was the obvious choice. It it was up to them, we'd have nowt.

Press & hold the ALT button on your keyboard and on the number keypad type 0189 and the release the ALT key. The symbol should appear.

½ Wow that works!

Everyday is a school day :)

0188 ¼

0189 ½

0190 ¾

But since I have a lousy memory for them I use the special characters tool.

Nothing to do with Tory spite, Darthvader.

The then council were very clearly told how much money was available for these pointless games and as usual they knew better and ignored it.

I agree. It provided the city with world class sporting facilities which have brought event after event here since.

If the Tories weren't so spiteful, it would have been much more of a success. If it had happened in London, I'm sure there would have been much more central government funding made available. The Tories have always made it clear, Sheffield will always be punished, that's why they awarded Leeds the armories, when Sheffield was the obvious choice. It it was up to them, we'd have nowt.

What a load of lefty tripe!..........the Tories didn't need to punish Sheffielders! they just left that to Bunkett, Betts,Caborn,etc to do it for them.

And now we have another daft Sheffielder about to send millions down the drain in London, Lord Coe!......another idiot great at spending other peoples money on daft ideas!

What a load of lefty tripe!..........the Tories didn't need to punish Sheffielders! they just left that to Bunkett, Betts,Caborn,etc to do it for them.

And now we have another daft Sheffielder about to send millions down the drain in London, Lord Coe!......another idiot great at spending other peoples money on daft ideas!

How much is Sheffield Council contributing to the Oympics ?

The next albatross round our necks will be the PFI resurfacing scheme, if it ever comes off. How many £millions a year will the council have to find for that ?

Lets be honest this is really a question that cannot be really answered

What if this what if that.

Loony Labour Spiteful Tories Ineffective Liberals ?????

The fact at the time was the steel industry had been decimated The East End was a barren land.

The council at the time took a gamble on regenerating the rundown area albeit at a vast cost.

I actually think they were right at least they tried something after all they would have been hammered for trying nothing.

Without the gamble how much investment would have been put in to the area ?? and how much would doing nothing have cost in real terms ??

The biggest mistake they probably made was building Don Valley Stadium too small they should have gone the full monty and gone for a 70,000 stadium they had the room then we may have attracted bigger better sporting events to the city.

Rubbish - Caborn and his big sport ideas are very dangerous.

What sport events have we attracted? Don Valley has the odd athletics meeting but no big names attend. Ponds Forge gets some good diving and swimming events.

Personally I'm not sure. Caborn has this big idea that when kids see sport on TV they will want to do it, so it's money well spent. But all that money could have gone to local grass roots sports clubs and improved facilities in communities. Leave the big events to London and Manchester.

The Armouries in Sheffield? Seriously we can't get enough money into Weston Park when it's free entry let alone charging admission to see some old battle gear. The Armouries helped to redevelop Clarence Dock in Leeds, and really only survives on the private functions it throws at night.

Rubbish - Caborn and his big sport ideas are very dangerous.

What sport events have we attracted? Don Valley has the odd athletics meeting but no big names attend. Ponds Forge gets some good diving and swimming events.

Personally I'm not sure. Caborn has this big idea that when kids see sport on TV they will want to do it, so it's money well spent. But all that money could have gone to local grass roots sports clubs and improved facilities in communities. Leave the big events to London and Manchester.

The Armouries in Sheffield? Seriously we can't get enough money into Weston Park when it's free entry let alone charging admission to see some old battle gear. The Armouries helped to redevelop Clarence Dock in Leeds, and really only survives on the private functions it throws at night.

We now have a professional ice hockey team in the city, a professional basketball team. We now have three professional football teams in the city (this wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for Don Valley). We have a rugby team that play there too. We have athletic meets, swimming and diving meets. We have the institute of sport and the ice skating arena.

Apart from the two professional football teams that we had, all those things have come about because of, or helped along by, the World Student Games.

After the hammering the city was dealt under Thatcher, with the closure of most of the citys' industries, Sheffield had to do something.

Like somebody else said, everyone expected the election of a more sympathetic Govt in 1992 when the zombie that was John Major was elected.

I think it was money well spent.

We now have a professional ice hockey team in the city, a professional basketball team. We now have three professional football teams in the city (this wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for Don Valley). We have a rugby team that play there too. We have athletic meets, swimming and diving meets. We have the institute of sport and the ice skating arena.

Apart from the two professional football teams that we had, all those things have come about because of, or helped along by, the World Student Games.

Ice hockey - aren't the Steelers still in trouble? Agreed that it has brought ice hockey to the city, but it has been a fad that has died down.

3 teams? Rotherham is a temp arrangement. Don Valley is an awful football venue.

Rugby team - the Eagles have resorted to selling ticket packages on Groupon.

I remember when the Great Britain Spartans played at Don Valley and they were once told they had to get a crowd of 10,000 to change their name to Sheffield Spartans (only got 3,000 - again that fad died down).

Institute of Sport - basketball is poorly supported. The Institute is good as a training venue but isn't great for major events.

Ice skating - a good facility but like the one in Nottingham it should be in the city centre.

The facilities are good but I don't see that they achieve anything in sport other than to support the elite. OK the city gets teams training but the events the city holds are poor and we can't compete with London. We could have refurbished every local sports facility and had 20 athletics tracks, numerous pools etc.

Yep, I mean before Sheffielders were clinging onto the steel thing, Sheffield hasn't produced steel in any sizable amounts for decades. People living in the past.

Sheffield is a city of sport now.