Libya declares ceasefire

The US have launched cruise missiles against Libya.

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/africa/2011/03/2011319175243968135.html

Airstrikes begin on Libya targets

French warplanes have hit four tanks used by forces loyal to Muammar Gaddafi on the outskirts of the opposition stronghold of Benghazi, on a day when opposition fighters in the city reported coming under constant artillery and mortar fire.

The US has also launched cruise missiles from ships based in the Mediterrannean Sea, and has taken the lead in military operations during the first phase, Kimberly Halkett, Al Jazeera's correspondent in Washington DC reported.

The action marks the first international military moves against the Libyan leader, and it comes a day after the UN Security Council authorised a no-fly zone over the North African country.

In the first phase of the operation, named "Odyssey Dawn", the US will target Libyan Integrated Missile Defence Systems, mainly near Tripoli and Misurata, officials said. French aircraft had initiated operations by targetting Libyan air fields.

It is not clear when the second wave of operations will begin, but Al Jazeera's Halkett reported that it would target Gaddafi's ground forces and tanks.

Other countries involved in military operations at this stage include Canada, the United Kingdom, France and Italy.

A spokesman for the French military had confirmed that his country's fighter jets have attacked another vehicle belonging to Gaddafi's forces.

"The vehicle was clearly identified as being enemy," army spokesman Colonel Thierry Burckhard said after the first UN-mandated air strike, describing the target as "a vehicle that was threatening the civilian population".

x

Edited by Jason Bourne

Its about time the un sponsored nations got involved to deal with that

:evil: loony Gaddafi :evil:

A French plane has opened fire on pro-Gaddafi forces; BBC1 newflash currently going on. Apparently the army was ignoring Gaddafi's declaration of a ceasefire - with or without his permission, I don't yet know.

The New York Times are reporting that the French wanted to postpone the attacks until after a meeting that their President was chairing, so he could have his moment in the spotlight. They then ordered their planes to attack during the meeting.

Don't you love the French!

Brilliant news! Let's hope both sides observe the ceasefire and stop fighting. Just in time for their Friday prayers :)

x

Just a tripoli down memory lane:banana:

110 tomahawk crusie missiles = $70 million is the arab league paying for any of this?

I see the anti-western propaganda war has startest in ernest, as we all knew it would. Where is this bounce turkey anyway?

110 tomahawk crusie missiles = $70 million is the arab league paying for any of this?

No. The US taxpayer is

No. The US taxpayer is

Even the ones fired from our boats?

I know that some munitions have a use by date, so I wonder if the Tomahawks have to used before a certain date?

Even the ones fired from our boats?

I know that some munitions have a use by date, so I wonder if the Tomahawks have to used before a certain date?

Total number of Tomahawks fired so far: 124

From US ships: 122

From British submarine: 2

If there's a shelf life then that's being taken care of I reckon.

Already things are beginning to become unravelled. The head of the Arab League is in Cairo complaining about the way the no fly zone has been enforced. Futhermore no concrete support of any kind from Saudi or other Arab nations.

The whole mission appears to be ill-defined as there is nothing beyond implemeting the no fly zone and Khadafy could be quite correct in his boast that it could be a long war.

This may end up in a huge mess if ground fighting continues and the country's infrastructure is destroyed.

To quote the Duke of Wellingtron from his experience in the Iberian campaign during the Napoleonic wars"

"I always had a horror of revolutionizing any country...I always said, if they rise of themselves, well and good, but do not stir them up, it is a fearful responsibility"

Total number of Tomahawks fired so far: 124

From US ships: 122

From British submarine: 2

If there's a shelf life then that's being taken care of I reckon.

Well I hope so.....we can't afford to replace them.

At least now Cameron has won his spurs and will get mentioned in the history books. :rolleyes:

Well I hope so.....we can't afford to replace them.

At least now Cameron has won his spurs and will get mentioned in the history books. :rolleyes:

Yep for starting another war thats nothing to do with us.