Libya declares ceasefire

cant yet, UN havnt sanctioned any ground forces

If he makes one false move you watch this space. We'll get stuck in like an Alabama tick.

It appears to me that some people are expressing delight in the fact that people are going to be killed.

Edited by Mecky

Do you know what a ceasefire is?

If he makes one false move you watch this space. We'll get stuck in like an Alabama tick.
without a UN resolution sanctioning ground forces, the only action anyone can officially take is from the air, however thats not to say the UN wont call an emergency council to vote on ground forces should the UN see fit. under the current no fly sanction the only forces allowed into libya by ground would be for humanitarian purposes, they would only be allowed to use weapons if fired on, to protect themselves & the general public

Gadaffi has effectively neutralised the reason for the resolution to be acted upon. They now have to go back to the drawing board. My guess is they'll soon find another reason. Hague has used excuses and blabbers on about saving Libyan lives, that's a cynical lie because if it were the case I could mention half a dozen countries that resolution could be implemented for. I'll eat my words if we don't have feet on the ground within a week or so.

Hague has used excuses and blabbers on about saving Libyan lives, that's a cynical lie because if it were the case I could mention half a dozen countries that resolution could be implemented for.

I have a feeling it's about the oil, but I do think some external intervention is necessary, if only stop Gadaffi from killing any more of his civilians.

x

I have a feeling it's about the oil, but I do think some external intervention is necessary, if only stop Gadaffi from killing any more of his civilians.

x

Would be nice wouldn't it if we just stopped the <REMOVED> and said 'we want your oil' but in the process many will die inc our troops.

Edited by esme
masked swearing

x

Not surprisingly Russia and China abstained from the vote ... Wonder if that has anything to do with oil, gas and arms shipments.

I think that Gaddafi called the ceasefire because he knows he cannot win against the un and that if he carried on committing war crimes him and his regime would be wiped out but are these just words ?

As last night he also said that he would attack passenger planes and shipping and also attack the rebels in Benghazi and show no mercy

Or perhaps he's just buying time?

I'm not as sure as some others on here, that this ceasefire means the UN won't act.

Not surprisingly Russia and China abstained from the vote ... Wonder if that has anything to do with oil, gas and arms shipments.
One glance at the news shows me Ghaddafi's hardware is all Russian (SU-25 bombers, BMPs, T55s, T72s, all small arms are AK variants...except for the 'good' German stuff (HK) his son was brandishing the other week), and it's no secret that Russia has used Libyan ports for re-supply in the Western Med for decades (incl. the USSR days).

As for the oil and gas, it's not only Russia and China, but all of the BRIC countries and the one remaining European country that's still reasonably functioning economically, Germany, that have abstained. So, wonder no more ;)

TBH I can't see a ceasefire solving the situation. I expect Daffy will just probably back down until the western threat withdraws then just start up killing people again because I can't see the rebels(?) stopping their actions.