Squatters on the Moor

oh we are splitting hairs then are we ??? we were talking in the context of sleeping on the street i thought:loopy::loopy: you know having no fixed abode? if you cant grasp that then why should we listen to what you have to say??

1: nobodys actually talking about the homeless, the threads about squatting

2: IF we're talking about homelessness then no its NOT just about sleeping rough on the streets, they are the frontline, the people you see daily, but the biggest problem is the ones you DONT see, people who ARE HOMELESS but have a roof over their heads, whether its a hostel or a friends settee

oooo i bet you were at the protests last weekend too:hihi::hihi:

I was and i have never felt so proud of being British in my life most people there where there because they are worried and concerned at the way ordinary working class people are being screwed daily by the three parties who split the running of the country between themselves.There is no difference whatsoever in any of them.

Putting the whole squatters/homeless/not homeless debate to one side a minute, I welcome this squat and it's intentions. I've long thought that a 'republic' could work within Sheffield - along the lines of Uzupis/Uzupio (Vilnius, Lithuania) and Christiania (Copenhagen, Denmark).

We've ample empty space in the city centre and really what would be the harm in injecting some life in to the more lifeless bits of the centre? The Moor has no nearby residential developments to worry about if you want to make a bit of a racket and it has been slowly sliding down hill for a couple of decades now. If it were up to me I'd make it an obligation of property owners to offer out space to volunteer/art/creative groups if the property is vacant for longer that a given amount of time (2 years?) on the understanding that they get rate relief or some tax break. Everyone wins then don't they?

Anyway, I'm in town tomorrow so I will pass by and see if I can lend a hand with anything.

I also found this info; it now has a name - The 0742 Club - and here's what I found

The 0742 Club (a squat adjacent to Debenhams on the Moor) initially squatted by students under the name "The Free Abbey National" and began life as a convergence centre for political protestors in response to the Liberal Democrat Conference is now open as a social centre and community art project.

The Collective invites a broad variety of artists, collectives, and political groups to come and make use of the space (which is huge) as well as opening it's doors to those wanting to show independant films (A projector is avaliable), hold poetry sessions, or generally hang out. Spaces can be booked or aquired by inpromtue informal discussion with the residents as and when they are needed, and doors will open on monday to the wider public for the display of an art exhibition, a poetry session (to which any poets are invited to take part in), and the provission of hot beverages.

The Collective also puts out a request for Residential Artists and persons who can help to maintain the security of the space (this does not have to mean every night and day, but it would also be useful to have volunteers willing to stay a night or two).

The 0742 can be contact via its SQUATLINE on 07806414837 or via the contact number that has already been given out in other articles written in reference to the Centre

Thats my thoughts anyhow. Back to bickering!

Squatters in a disused shop....shock....whatever next :hihi:

Perhaps if the rents weren't so high on these shops they would be occupied....mind you the ones with all the fake stuff in the windows to make them look occupied are the ones earmarked for demolition are they not....and what is to replace them??? There was supposed to be new build but IIRC there is now no money to build...so why demolish....just open up these shops and stop the city centre from dying.

Meanwhile, back to the squatters...here's a linky to let you know a bit more about them.

I know one of these guys...I might just pop down, say hello and try and blag a coffee...All power to them :D

lomax....I think we were posting at the same time :D

I have linked this thread to my friend who is one of the squatters...maybe he will register and come on and tell you more about it first hand.

lomax....I think we were posting at the same time :D

I have linked this thread to my friend who is one of the squatters...maybe he will register and come on and tell you more about it first hand.

;)

Great minds. Good to know there are others that share my views!

Putting the whole squatters/homeless/not homeless debate to one side a minute, I welcome this squat and it's intentions. I've long thought that a 'republic' could work within Sheffield - along the lines of Uzupis/Uzupio (Vilnius, Lithuania) and Christiania (Copenhagen, Denmark).

We've ample empty space in the city centre and really what would be the harm in injecting some life in to the more lifeless bits of the centre? The Moor has no nearby residential developments to worry about if you want to make a bit of a racket and it has been slowly sliding down hill for a couple of decades now. If it were up to me I'd make it an obligation of property owners to offer out space to volunteer/art/creative groups if the property is vacant for longer that a given amount of time (2 years?) on the understanding that they get rate relief or some tax break. Everyone wins then don't they?

This whole thing is no different to the council using the current empty shops around that area for all the window displays whilst the re-development is on hold. Much better if if it is more of a 'live' venue. Much better than the normal run of the mill stuff we find in Sheffield centre.

Edited by esme
quote tags

Absolutely illuminati. Can't agree more. Live frontages are far more interesting than dead displays. I would offer up all of the properties currently vacant due to Sevenstone to these people, on the understanding it's a short term affair. Imagine the scope of things you could do with Grosvenor House Hotel :o:love:

It could be a truly unique benefit to Sheffield and maybe even a bit of a tourism pull.

There is no need to be at loggerheads with people - discourse and negotiation can usually provide a fair outcome for all.

Maybe I'm being too idealistic.

Absolutely illuminati. Can't agree more. Live frontages are far more interesting than dead displays. I would offer up all of the properties currently vacant due to Sevenstone to these people, on the understanding it's a short term affair. Imagine the scope of things you could do with Grosvenor House Hotel :o:love:

It could be a truly unique benefit to Sheffield and maybe even a bit of a tourism pull.

There is no need to be at loggerheads with people - discourse and negotiation can usually provide a fair outcome for all.

I know what to do with the Grovenor Hotel open it up and use it as a HOTEL.

I know what to do with the Grovenor Hotel open it up and use it as a HOTEL.

What a strange concept...you mad, mad person :hihi:

Nope, it would be great as a short term thing, as I said no different to what is happening now anyway. Just think you could open the old Pollards coffee shop as a.... hmmm... coffee shop!!!! yeaaaahhhhhhhhh. Just wait to see me in the queue.

What a strange concept...you mad, mad person :hihi:

Especially as they now use it for training police dogs!!! Don't leave your shoes outside your door at night for cleaning!! :hihi: