Squatters on the Moor

Morally wrong. So, although they legally own these buildings, if they're not in use and don't plan to be for the short to medium term, what harm is there in allowing people that may otherwise be left to sleep on the streets?

Depends how you see it, but to "turf" people out on to the street and then still not doing anything with the property could be viewed as morally wrong.

short to medium? theres places left to rot........long term, decades in some cases

irrespective of the buidlings use or non use the building is someones property to use or not, i have a car collection i only drive one at a time it doesnt mean anyone can come and have a go just because they feel like it or do not have a car of their own?? most that sleep on the streets have made a lifestyle choice, through drink and drugs...note i said most not all.

Completely understand your point of view, just trying to explain why some people would view it as morally wrong.

My own view is that, unfortunately, UK law doesn't seem to protect property owners enough in Squatters cases, so it would be too much of a risk to someone. There's also the argument about insurance, protecting the building and any property inside it etc.

So although it would be nice, I can fully understand why people who hate the prospect of their property being squatted in.

I can fully understand why people who hate the prospect of their property being squatted in.

if your property was an empty nearly derelict warehouse (like on Matilda Street) I don't see what you would be worried about, were not talking about million pound penthouse suites here.

i have a car collection i only drive one at a time it doesnt mean anyone can come and have a go just because they feel like it or do not have a car of their own??

Driving a car isn't important when your homeless, warmth and shelter is though.

Driving a car isn't important when your homeless, warmth and shelter is though.

Spot on Stan, lets hope no one is having to sleep rough due to bad luck or whatever and as long as these people look after the place and give it back when it is needed then no harm done.

Spot on Stan, lets hope no one is having to sleep rough due to bad luck or whatever and as long as these people look after the place and give it back when it is needed then no harm done.

Hear! Hear! It's a crazy world we live in where buildings lay empty and people sleep on the street.

I'm still not sure where I stand on squatting. I agree that no building should be left to rot whilst there's homeless people around. I do however find it morally wrong if the people squatting could actually afford a place of their own. I guess you have to look at each case individually but ultimately if we all just fancied moving into a building that a the owner left empty then we would find ourselves in a pickle. I guess if you're not prepared to let everybody do it then individuals shouldn't do it.

It does seem that a lot of squatters over the past few years have been people of good income trying to prove a point. This I think is unfair as they're not allowing the genuine homeless a shot. There is a big difference between being homeless and just doing it because you can.

Isn't this a commercial building anyway? And as such aren't there a completely different set of rules regarding squatter's rights?

The notices put up at the windows indicate that they are wanting to run various activities there to make the Moor more vibrant etc. This i can agree with, better than two boarded up shops!

Hear! Hear! It's a crazy world we live in where buildings lay empty and people sleep on the street.

hear hear its a crazy world we live in where drug addicts and alchos sleep on the street because their choice of habit and lifestyle has put them there:loopy::loopy: its all about choices

The notices put up at the windows indicate that they are wanting to run various activities there to make the Moor more vibrant etc. This i can agree with, better than two boarded up shops!

Why not pay rent on the empty premise's to run these various activities from??

or is the activity to squat? :suspect:

hundreds of building OWNED by someone or a company, not there for any rag tag and bob tail to occupy!! why is it morally wrong then?? its not their building so what gives them the right to squat? tents are cheap to buy:hihi: i hear Decathalon has some good deals;)

owned? whats that mean then?

Not sure that any one who reads this will own any piece of land regardless of what they think.

Do you know the meaning if allodial title?

Cause I'm willing to bet you don't own any land either.

Judging by the notices on the window it looks like squatters have moved in to the building that is attached to Debenhams on the Moor (the one that has all the old black and white photos in the window)

Thank goodness, I though you ment people squatting for a number two.