Beyond-A-Joke Comedy @ Penelopes 7.30 26th March

Beyond A Joke - Episode 2

Compere: BenQ

Lineup:

Stephanie Laing

Stephanie was, until recently, the singer of humorous songs with an adult twist to them; a nice diversion to lighten up a night of comedy entertainment. In a stunning turn of events however, this supremely talented young lady has now shown an undeniable aptitude for stand-up comedy too.

On her very first gig Stephanie wowed the audience with her mixture of charm, cheekiness and imagination. Although she is a relative newcomer to the comedy scene, it is clear that she has a bright future onstage.

Reviews:

"A great stand-up and super-smart in the fun way that always works magic." (Phil Kay)

"She is sweet, surreal and sometimes sickening, but always funny" (The Heckler)

"There is something about Stephanie" (Martin Bearne)

Mark Stephenson

Mark Stephenson has been performing for over a year and just been awarded 2nd place in the Leicester Square New Act of the Year competition. This summer he completed a full run in Edinburgh , gaining a four-star review from Three Weeks for the triple header show "The Very Best of Stephenson, Brice and Larter.”

With a sharp analytical style and off-beat sensibility enthused with easy on-stage charm, Mark has already carved out a reputation as an exciting and unique comic with a unique yet polished act performing regular featured spots across London and the South East.

Reviews:

"low-octane, big-laughter, excellent newcomer" London is Funny - Comics to watch in 2011

Watch this space" Three Weeks **** for The Very Best of Stephenson, Brice and Larter EDINBURGH 2010

Steve Bennett, Chortle "Mark Stephenson demonstrates his compelling attitude from the moment he said ‘hiya’ with an air of bored distraction, His comedy comes from misery – so often the best place – as he complains abut being bored, lonely and unemployed. His set demonstrated the value of such a well-defined comic voice, for although the material was variable, you always want to hear more of his suburban lower-class gripes. He secured the £500 silver medal on the night – let’s hope it doesn’t make him too happy."

Promoter Quotes:

“Connected well with the audience without really trying, had a really unique turn of phrase with unexpected twists, engaging, thought provoking with silliness – shows much promise” Mike Fox FAT JESTERS - Bromley

Chuck Manslag

Howdy, I’m Chuck Manslag. I’ve been doing Stand up comedy since 1998. I started out in Toronto, Canada… that’s right. The same same place Jim Carrey got is start. Obviously, I’m not as famous as him. You already knew that. Thanks for rubbing it in. Anyways: I ran off to the UK when I was around 22 and earned my wings on the rough of London. Eventually, I even broke into the circuit in other countries. Now I’ve performed in Canada, the U.S, UK, Sweden, Holland, and even South America! Some people say I take my comedy too far. I disagree… I think making love to ducks on stage and shouting the phrase, “I’m gonna punch you in the Vagina” at audience members is funny. (I don’t do it really, I thought that was just a cute line for this blurb!)

Doors 7.30 for 8pm Start

£5 online, via http://www.beyond-a-joke.com

£6 at the door

Buy 4, get one free!

Get Map & Directions at http://www.penelopes.info

OK. Beyond a Joke? Who the hell are we?

Style Over Substance are a co-operative who were set up a couple of years ago to start promoting new, cutting edge comedy in South London.

We've put on other gigs, in Oxford, in Sheffield, around the country, and now we're ready to take the next big step and go regular.

We want to become the obvious place to come, where people will know what they're getting.

Good comedy, edgy comedy, cutting edge, pithy, sharp... Need we go on?

'Cos we could, you know....

OK, maybe not.

We want to work with performers who will push the edge a bit, and audiences who find that exciting. Satirical, honest, sharp, brave, (but particularly, funny).

We'll be headlining the best in new and creative comedy, showing up and coming acts who we also admire, and headlining those who we (and you) think are the best.

If it's as good as last time, it should be great.

D'you know if they're still giving out free monster munch?

Hi Gladys,

Not if i get to the Flamin' Hot ones first.... Again ;-)

Px

Should try some of that beer stuff you find behind the bar.

Or some of the love hearts....

Hey, S

I'll definitely be there on Sat

D'you know when the next one is, and who's coming?

Not seen a listing on the Penelopes site, yet

GP