Learning French for 5 year old

Hi can anybody recommend any software programmes, websites or books for learning French suitable for a 5 year old?

He's just started doing the basics at school and really enjoys it so want to capture a bit of the enthusiasm and have him learning a bit at home too.

Thanks in advance.

Hiya

I sell these books from Barefoot which come in English/French and English/Spanish. They are really lovely. You can look inside to get an idea by following the link below.

If you are interested you can order online through this link (Postage on Barefoot is free if your order is over £40 at the moment) or you can order through me directly to avoid postage on a smaller order if you live in Sheffield. Just drop me a line if you are interested.

http://store.barefootbooks.com/uk/catalogsearch/advanced/result/?by_subject=168?bf_affiliate_c0de=000-061x

Many thanks

Katie Hilton

Do kids learn a foreign language at infant school now? Or is it just your child's school. It is meant to stick more if they learn it young :)

At Tilly's school it isn't very formal but they do have a session every Tuesday and they can opt to go to French class after school for £2 an hour. I don't know if that's the same in most infant schools or not to be honest.

I am sure there is something about children being able to pick up languages easier younger!

I know there is a French class on a Saturday morning that little ones can go to, I think on Ecclesall road. Not sure about starting age though. Hope this helps x

I think you're referring to the "Babble and Speak" group, in Endlcliffe Methodist Church?

It is perfectly suitable for a 5-year-old, they learn French and have fun, it's brilliant :-)

Do a postcode search for your nearest "La Jolie Ronde" group (middle left hand side, yellow box).

I know they have a Monday late afternoon slot in Todwick Junior (my little one has been going a couple of years now), so they may have other slots in the Sheffield area. Very good technique, support and program structure. And that's from a frenchman ;)

For a website, have a look at Mon Ludo, the website for the (main) kids' TV programmes (public TV) in France. Again, my little one is regularly on that.

For programs, you will find a lot of early-learning educative software on Amazon (.fr ;), I selected 3-6 years in the linky for you). 'Adibou'-branded software has been around for an awful long time, and is both highly-regarded and time-tested.

If you have (spoken-) multilanguage versions of kid's DVDs, get your child to watch the French language version of their favourites, every now and then. They will probably know the story inside-out, so can relate to what is being said. Such DVDs can be a bit of a pain to find (for some reason, UK retail DVDs always seem to have weird and wonderful languages e.g. Hebrew, Danish and whatnot, but rarely 'mainstream' European languages like French, Italian and Spanish :rolleyes:).

Pocoyo is really very good 'support material' for that age group (Stephen Fry has done the French dubbing himself) it is as accessible in English as in French, since the narrative is clear and simple and supported by easily-understandable and unclutterred visuals.

Edited by L00b