Sign in to follow this  

On air row between Joan Rivers and Darcus Howe.

Did anyone hear this row on Radio 4 the other day? I heard it and can’t make my mind up really. I think Joan went a little over the top but Darcus Howe was stupid and didn't think about what he was saying.

The BBC has just released a transcript which makes for interesting reading.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4360054.stm

What do people think? Are there any black, half-cast (I have no idea if I can use those terms without being slapped down by the PC brigade) members who understand why Darcus said "Since black offends Joan" or do you think he has just made a mistake and didn't engage brain before opening his mouth?

Darcus talks about 70% sense, and 30% rubbish, so it doesn't come as a surprise that he put his foot in his mouth.

On the other hand, Rivers is also a nuisance, and for her to go over the top is embarrasing to say the least. However she is a loud mouthed yank so there's no surprise there either.

I felt sorry for Darcus to some point, we all make slip ups. I just thought Rivers went seriously OTT.

Hasn't Joan Rivers got a new show opening in London, and by a bit of "over reacting" suddenly everyone is talking about her.

(or am I just been cynical)

Originally posted by valentine

Hasn't Joan Rivers got a new show opening in London, and by a bit of "over reacting" suddenly everyone is talking about her.

(or am I just been cynical)

You could be closer than you think

Originally posted by serapis

What do people think? Are there any black, half-cast

Don't let Darcus hear you using that term ;)

I think Mr Howe was being a bit mischievous, and Rivers was probably right to have a go. I do think she was genuinely offended.

Hillarious !

He must have had such fun winding her up - he obviously got a bite and couldn't resist. I love the comment at the end about photography....the thought that this was going on and some other poor bu66er was sat there...just waiting to talk about a few photos.

Priceless. Absolutely wonderful. The BBC has gotten so anodyne and risk-averse recently, it's wonderful that stuff like this can happen. Hurrah for volatile, stupid egotists!

I think he only said it because he knew she'd have a go back, the guy is a bit up his own arse though and thinks it's ok to go round accusing everyone of racism then forcing them to defend themselves.

Darcus Howe was arrogant and stupid and deserved to be lambasted, it was good to hear someone give as good as she got. He was happy to be offensive but obviously couldn't cope with being bested, he was soon bleating that he hadn't been invited there to be insulted. He truly believed that he was allowed to say what he wanted and that she wouldn't dare reciprocate, well he picked the wrong one. Joan Rivers is the first to agree that she is a strange looking loud mouth but in this instance she got it absolutely right.

If you go to bbc.co.uk/radio and find their Radio Player thingamujig, and then find either:

the original Radio 4 show (don't know when it aired), or

the Radio 5 'Drive' program with Peter Allen (from yesterday, October 20th)

you'll be able to hear it. It is pure radio class.

"You son of a bitch!"

She was *genuinely* and terrifically offended, let me tell you.

I was driving up Mansfield Rd and had turned over to Radio Sheffield as Mid week was getting boring, but just switched back in time to hear it.

I have to say I thought she was right to have a go at him.

By the time I got to the fire station at Elm Tree/ Manor top I was sat shocked, mouth wide open not beliving what I had heard on R4.

Too funny.