Firefox getting bloated - any better Browsers out there?

Edited by c_lake

Firefox is best OVERALL for features, addons and security. Opera has gone to town on their security and Chrome has dropped a lot of securty features in the interest of app weight (i.e. time it takes to load the browser!). In terms of general browsing the web, Firefox is your best bet as it is standards compliant and supports the main HTML and CSS standards which means that websites will look (and function) as the makers intended them to. Most web developers build sites to work in Firefox/Chrome and then add visual fixes for Internet Explorer 6, 7 and 8 so don't be surprised if some sites look broken when viewing in Internet Explorer. In Firefox, Consider going Tools > Add-ons and then disabling/uninstalling all addons which you don't need, this will speed it up for you.

Firefox is best OVERALL for features, addons and security. Opera has gone to town on their security and Chrome has dropped a lot of securty features in the interest of app weight (i.e. time it takes to load the browser!). In terms of general browsing the web, Firefox is your best bet as it is standards compliant and supports the main HTML and CSS standards which means that websites will look (and function) as the makers intended them to. Most web developers build sites to work in Firefox/Chrome and then add visual fixes for Internet Explorer 6, 7 and 8 so don't be surprised if some sites look broken when viewing in Internet Explorer. In Firefox, Consider going Tools > Add-ons and then disabling/uninstalling all addons which you don't need, this will speed it up for you.

Apparently IE9's functionality increased. They've re-written the engine completely plus added better support for CSS, HTML5 and SilverLight. Plus some security issues were resolved too. I've been playing with IE9 for a couple of days now and I think it's quite good in terms of speed. Still, missing my FF/Chrome plugins, like ABP.

OK everyone - many thanks for all the advice. I have been running Opera for a while now and while different from FF, it is VERY fast compared to it.

Only trouble now is trying to remember the user names/passwords that FF entered automatically to allow me access to old favorites :confused:

Thanks again Forumers

Firefox 4 RC out now. Give it a go, it seems a lot faster for me compared to the last released :)

The new one does seem a bit better to use actually.

Firefox 4 RC out now. Give it a go, it seems a lot faster for me compared to the last released :)

Firefox 4 Final is out too.

I've had to turn hardware rendering off as the text was unreadable. Looking at the Mozilla forums though, they're blaming Microsoft for a bug in Direct2D, which despite IE having to work around, Mozilla are not going to work around someone else's bug, and will wait until MS fix it. :rolleyes:

Only trouble now is trying to remember the user names/passwords that FF entered automatically to allow me access to old favorites :confused:

You can view your saved passwords for FireFox by selecting Tools -> Options -> Security Tab -> Saved passwords

Many thanks Nazo

safari all the way for me!

although firefox is awesome for the web development tools you can 'plug in' to it.

Paul.