Childcare thoughts and questions MEGATHREAD

Where has the other childcare thread gone??

Anyway, I'll put my details on this one.

I will be registered as a Childminder by the beginning of September. I live at the Newfield Green end of Gleadless Valley.

I have completed my Developing Quality Practitioners course, Pediatric First Aid, Food Hygiene and an online Safeguarding Course.

I am booked to attend a workshop called 'Every Disabled Child Matters' along with further Safeguarding training. I am also about to start my NVQ Level 3 CCLD.

I offer flexible and affordable childcare in my home from home setting. I grow fruit and vegetables in my garden along with baking bread daily. I have a large secure back garden for free flowing outside play.

The activities I offer include, baking, cooking, sewing, knitting, painting, drawing, clay, sensory play dough, arts and crafts and each child will have their own 'mini' garden to grow what ever they wish.

For more information please see

http://www.flutterbyes.org.uk

hi joi5ey,

i have sent you a PM

Im due back to work in Jan and I am having a few issues with work not wanting me to do less hours, however I have seen a new job which I am interested in applying for however it would be working 4 days on 4 days off, long days and I am trying to work out whether this is a good or a bad thing. Would mean I wouldnt see much of lo when im working but then would get 4 days at home with him! Obviously there is childcare to think of, my mum is doing some of it and hubby doing rest but I am keen not to expect her to do too much, but if I was to go for this job, it would mean once every 8 weeks she would have him 4 full days until late on during the evening, but then some weeks when im working weekends hubby will have him, but my main concern is, if we want him to go to nursery would they allow us to change the days he goes or are they strict in it being the same day every week, I guess they are to allow them to plan places etc.

Does anyone work simular shifts and how does it work for you? Its a lot more money too which is handy!

I work shifts and childcare is a nightmare. I haven't found any nursery or childminder that is local to me, that allows you to change the days you need to use their service, in that I had to be contracted to set days but if there was room for them to be flexible they would do it on an ad hoc basis.

I now rely completely on various friends and family.

Scoop can I ask you what shifts you do?

I suppose the only option is to let him go nursery on a set day and if it falls on a day when im not working he could still go, but then that defeats the object of me doing those shifts to spend time with him, or pay for the days then he isnt there.

because of the rotating nature of your shifts even though you would only be working 4 days, you would in effect be taking up a full time place. hence the reason why childminders and nurseries may be unable to take your LO, unless you paid for a full time place. Also there is the late night aspect, most nurseries close at 6pm, I normally only work till 6pm, latest for me would be 7pm. I wish you luck finding childcare!

Where abouts in sheffield are you?

Scoop can I ask you what shifts you do?

I suppose the only option is to let him go nursery on a set day and if it falls on a day when im not working he could still go, but then that defeats the object of me doing those shifts to spend time with him, or pay for the days then he isnt there.

I do 12.5 hour day and night shifts 7.30am/pm -8.00am/pm (two per week), with no set pattern. My little one is at school now so its just a matter of finding someone to have him from 8am on a school day (when my husband leaves for work) take him to school and them to pick him up and look after him til husband gets home at 6.30.

When I am on nights my husband brings little one to work to meet me, he goes to work and I take little one to school on the way home, then sleep til it's time to pick him up.

When he was smaller he used to go to nursery one full day, my manager at that time was very accomodating and allowed me to work my shifts around that and my husbands days off. However my new manager is very inflexible, and expects everyone to be available for all shifts, so life is very difficult. I'm very lucky to have lots of friends and family who will help.

Its worth looking at the policies of your current and prospective new employer to find out what is in place to make life easier for parents and also dont forget the childrens information centre on surrey street (they've changed their name recently but i can't remember the new name), they have lists of nurseries and childminders in your area, you might be lucky and find one who is willing to do flexible days.

Hi,

I work at a nursery and we have lots of children that have shift working parents. They change their days all the time. We just get a photocopy of the parents shift pattern at the beginning of the month so we know when to expect them.

On the cost side of things, it works out that you book your child in for a certain number of sessions a month (depending on average how many of your shifts fall in the weekdays) and if you need more you just book extra sessions

hope that helps

hi were in Sheffield are you I'm a child minder and I work 6 in morning till 9-10 at night as I have had parents that work shifts

Hi, I work different shifts each week, but I have a flexible childminder who allows me to change the days I take my child.

My little girl also goes to Nursery one day a week every thursday, but they are strict about not allowing me to change the days, so I send her to nursery and have a day to myself once in a while.

I think you would need to check your nursery - I know the one my little one goes to is fully booked and so I can never get an extra session if I need to - which is good in one sense, shows it's a good nursery but not for those needing extra sessions! I think Childminders may be better as I know some that do work long hours (from 7 am - 7 pm) but as other pp said, you will probably have to pay even though you may not use it.