Childcare thoughts and questions MEGATHREAD

Hi

I have a job interview tomorrow, I am scared of leaving my 7 month old daughter if I get the job, I already have a boy of 5 yrs but for some reason I am more nervous of leaving my little girl. Maybe its because she is a girl! Can anyone recommend GOOD childcare?

hi my names michelle im an ofsted registered(good grade )childminder i have vacancies in s13 handsworth area i have 8 years experience mainly with young babies and young children.I have full and part time vacancies.

I can collect from Balifield school and nursery and also st josphes nursery.

I have a home from home enviroment and believe the happiness of every child is of upmost importance.

I have completed courses in safe guard training,childrens first aid,birth to three matters,baby signing,food hygiene,childrens behaviour,special needs and am crb checked.

feel free to visit my home and see my policies and certificates refferences can be seen .

please telelphone 01142548762 or 07761578779

Edited by michelle d

I need childcare for a 20 mth old for 3 days only.

It will be half a day, for 3 Tuesday mornings.

Need something near home, S5, City center or on tram route.

Any recommendations?

wot kind off childcare u looking for ?

The Megacentre has a creche you could maybe leave your little one in? Or is there anywhere like The Centre in Norfolk Park near you, they have a creche too? I don't know if nurseries will take him/her just for 3 days but it might be worth asking.

Me and my OH have started thinking ahead and decided that the next 'project' after our wedidng will be children. being the control freak i am i just wondered how much childcare would cost roughly?

thanks x

A lot :gag:

Seriously, though, it's very difficult to give you an estimate. Do you have family who will help out? Do you plan to work full time? Part time? What kind of childcare would you want? Nursery, childminder, nanny? How much do you earn? There are tax credits and childcare vouchers to take some of the weight, and these are down to how much you earn/how many hours you work.

As a guide, my nursery costs approx. £35 a day for each child, raw. That is, not taking into account tax credits or vouchers.

Childminders tend to cost a bit less.

Then there are community nurseries, which are subsidised if you meet their requirements.

I'd forego worrying about it, and just get on with it. If you knew the real monetary cost of raising a child, you'd die. In reality, your budget stretches to cope in a remarkable fashion (hey, far fewer nights out, for a start:hihi:) and once you have them in your arms, you'd give every penny on earth for them.

thanks, im trying to work out how many days a week i would have to work really. i am planning on working 2 days a week, but obv depends on costs of everything.

god its scary even contemplating having a child in 2 years!!!

At the lower end of the working hours scale, you need to have a good long look at things. Depending on your wage, you could end up paying more in childcare than you bring home.

Again as a for instance, I work 4 days a week. My children only go to nursery for 2 of those. My second child is over 3 therefore gets some hours free. My childcare bill still comes to almost exactly half my pay, before tax credits.

I keep mentioning tcs as a possibility rather than a certainty because they are almost impossible to work out for yourself, and if they say they got it wrong, you can end up owing them. Making them an added stress as much as a help.

Don't think too hard about it, lol.

Hi my name is Helen

I'm an Ofsted registered childminder in the Firth Park area of Sheffield. I'm CRB checked, First Aid trained, fully insured and have a level 3 Childcare qualification.

Children in my care are looked after in a fun, warm, family environment. They take part in lots of activities both inside and outside my home such as; painting, drawing, sand and water play, singing, stories, role play, going to the park, going to the library, attending local toddler groups etc.

I currently have a part time vacancy for a child aged one year or above. Any questions please do not hesitate to ask on the forum or by PM. :)

Hi all!

Right I have posted in General but guess here is a good place to ask about childcare! I know there are stickys up top but I wanted some advice and help on my situation.

I have 2 kids, and am a student nurse (on mat. leave at mo, back later in year, need childcare from Jan 2010).

Kids will be 3yrs 4 months and 9 months.

Uni bursary pays 85% of childcare but only up to a maximum amount, which isn't enough to afford 2 kids in private full time nursery.

I knwo the eldest will get the free 15 hrs (only during school terms though) which would help in a private nursery but as I would only have £20ish remaining from my childcare funding after paying the cost for my youngest (for the week) it doesn't cover anywhere near the amount payable for the eldest, even with those free hours and on the months, esp summer term, where she would not get the free hours for a few weeks during summer hols, I would struggler even more. Well.. not struggle really, it would be impossible to pay.

I wanted to get the eldest in local nursery (Woodseats) but even though I applied months ago, she does not have a place for Sept 09 (depsite me beign told she would). Apparantly it gos on her DOB, and as she's an August baby she's one of the younger ones. She *may* have a place in Jan, but I won't know until Nov, which is a bit late to leave it if not.

Plan was- get her a place in Woodseats, then pay a CM to take her/pick her up on the weeks I couldn't get her there or pick her up. This would be from the childcare allowance. The youngest would have been cared for by a relative.

BUT

Relative has dodgy health and it's not fair to expect her to have the baby, plus not reliable for me to rely on her.

Eldest- don't know if she has a nursery place at Woodseats for Jan anyway, wanted one for Sept as could have took her myself until I started uni, got a friend to take her until Jan then got a CM to take her/pick her up etc from Jan.

I need childcare for both. I want the eldest to mix with kids. She will start school in Jan 2011 I guess when she will be 4yrs 4 months, so wanted her to have a year mixing with kids. But I know it's not compulsary. The youngest I would prefer with relatives just because of her age but as that's a no-go it's either private nursary (but would have to be seperate from her sister unless I fine one in Sheffield that opens early and gives some sort of discount for siblings). or a CM.

Was thinking maybe a CM around the Woodseats area, or the area of whatever state nursery I can get her in, who starts early and does school trips as then CM could have both then take eldest to nursery/pick her up where needed and also have eldest during school holidays.

I am so stuck, no idea where to start (have contacted sheff info link for CM info), or how others manage it.

Help anyone? Please?! !!!:confused::):D