Haybrook estate agents - who's dealt with them?

Haybrooks at Crystal Peaks - These people are a nightmare ... I've asked to be taken off their mailing list four times, even once receiving assurance from the shop manager, but still the letters keep coming! Nearly as bad as Bolsover Cruise Club with their pattern of constant harassment!

Hi Jeffery Shaw, yes I checked the contract I signed and even questioned them about it. Apparently if I want to terminate this agency I have to pay the fee for Standard Marketing they can take the money straight from my account as soon as I withdraw my instructions!

Someone gave me a heads up about this many years back when I sold my 1st house. I instructed Blundells in the end but specifically had it noted that if the property didn't sell before my relocation (in which case I was entitled to a guaranteed offer scheme via work) I could take the property off the market without having to pay for the marketing stuff (I think it covered getting brochures printed & an ad in the property guide). Blundells were very confident of selling the house & said OK. In the end they didn't manage to sell it so I was glad that I'd cut a deal with them!

If you know the full address of a property that's on the market, is it possible to contact the seller directly to arrange a viewing, and even close the deal, thus cutting out the estate agents/middleman from the process? (particularly if you are a FTB with available funds?) Or is this a big no no?

I can only comment on Hillsborough branches of both Blundells and haybrook. Sold through Haybrook and bought through Blundells and have to say Haybrook were great but Blundells needed chasing every other day to do what they said they were going to. I put my house on in May 2010 and was in new house in July 2010 - Im not sure its down to estate agents but sold to the third viewer in first week and that was that. The speed of transaction from thereonin though was down to daily calls to Haybrook and ringing Blundells myself rather than waiting for Haybrook to - even at one point going to the house I was buying to deliver the documents for signing and collecting them the next day (it was a strange situation but made it happen pretty quickly which im sure wouldnt have done if left to their own devices.)

Seems I am in the minority but I was happy with Haybrook - and hope not to have to sell/ buy a house again so dont have to deal with any again!!!

If you know the full address of a property that's on the market, is it possible to contact the seller directly to arrange a viewing, and even close the deal, thus cutting out the estate agents/middleman from the process? (particularly if you are a FTB with available funds?) Or is this a big no no?

Yes, you can.

EA acts for vendor (V) only. As a prospective purchaser (P), you have no legal relationship with EA nor any duty to EA.

But note that V might nevertheless owe EA the agreed fees, even for P who deals direct.

Has anyone sold a property in S6/S10 with Haybrook? (through the Hillsborough or Crookes branch)

Trying to decide if they are worth the ridiculous fee.

Sold boards around the area suggest they may be..

the fee still seems like a right rip off! I could put my house up with them for a quick sale to find that it doesn't sell, and then I'm worse off for it.

I do think that anyone taking funds from an account must get permission to do so before taking them. This is even if they previously used your card details. Of course they can still chase you for any fee's they feel are due.

I had the same problem with them and and can confirm the outfit did the same with me when I dismissed them and elected to pay the cancellation fee of what was £150.00 last year they had my bank card details on file and did not even tell me.

I thought that was illegal its like going into a supermarket paying for your groceries and having them raid your bank account the next day again.

I had the same problem with them and and can confirm the outfit did the same with me when I dismissed them and elected to pay the cancellation fee of what was £150.00 last year they had my bank card details on file and did not even tell me.

I thought that was illegal its like going into a supermarket paying for your groceries and having them raid your bank account the next day again.

No, it's not. No-one can debit an account-holder's account unless the account-holder has already authorised it.

No, it's not. No-one can debit an account-holder's account unless the account-holder has already authorised it.

Does the authorization have to be in writing, or could they say that they had verbal authorisation to take the fee?

Thanks for the info,although I did expect to pay in the normal way by card,cheque or cash within 7 days etc I did not expect them to pull a stroke like that one day they will slip up and get into trouble motto I suppose is when people read this and remember to speak to them regarding withdrawal payments before going into any contract with this firm.

I bought my house through Haybrooks two years ago and found them to be brilliant.

We were in a 6 link chain and although the whole process took 4 months to complete this was not down to Haybrooks and they did what they could to keep us informed on a regular basis.

Still in the house two years on and well chuffed.

that's good to know Adam as I may well buy through Haybrook in Hillsborough or Crookes (assume you used the Hillsborough one)

Not bought with them before, have used Winkworth and Blundells though

I'm more concerned about the selling side though at the moment, as this is what you have to part with a small fortune for! :)