All local stray kennels are full to burst - spread the word

We are very very quiet on the rehoming side in our small rescue.

I am getting calls daily to take in people's dogs for both genuine and pathetic reasons - we can't help them all. There are just too many dogs.

Watching Crufts and seeing all those people who genuinely love dogs and seeing the huge volume of dogs on show there - makes me wonder how we could reach the general population to let them know how many dogs - are being destroyed every day.

Its heartbreaking to hear of what is being destroyed. All our local stray kennels are fit to burst - most haven't got many kennels left to put the next dumped or stray dog into. No matter how good their intentions - they will have to put some to sleep to make room for the next stray - because thats what they have to do - pick up the next stray or dumped dog. This is a nationwide problem, but it hurts when its local and you know of it.

We are getting calls every day from our local kennels to help with some of the dogs.

If anyone can spread the word about the lovely dogs that there are sat waiting today - in a local stray kennel near you - please do so. Phone the radio stations, the newspapers - anywhere. We pet lovers need to help them.

How often do the star do a piece on you Rain? Or Radio Sheffield?

I am spreading the word at work etc but it isn't enough. We need a big publicity push - newspapers, radio etc. Do you ever have show days? There will be lots of fayres etc coming up over the coming months. You could have a stall and take a couple of the friendlier, more confident dogs with you to raise awareness and educate people

bogw - we had one ages ago - but this isn't anything to do with promoting Rain - its just a general need to highlight the strays. Both the star and Radio Sheffield could definately help with that promotion - but it needs someone to take ownership of it who has the commitment and drive to do it. Maybe if more people walked round the pounds and saw the faces of the unwanted dogs - then people would realise how needed it is.

Smudge - you are right - it does need a publicity push - my life is a constant nightmare sorting out and doing the dogs that we have in already for rehoming - whilst we do have some people to do some stalls for us again - its a job in itself doing that sort of promotion.

Someone offered to do some before - but it never seems to get off the ground. Meanwhile so many dogs are loosing their lives due to irresponsible breeding and ownership.

I wish the big rescue centres would raise it as a major problem - which it is. Whilst all this goes on without anyone knowing of it, nobody cares cos nobody knows.

I would be happy to do some stalls etc. Don't even mind going and doing some talks to school kids or large workplaces as I'm used to speaking in public. Not sure wether we'd get lots of irrate parents complaining that their kids are nagging for dogs tho....and would they bounce back when they "got bored"

Thats kind of you to offer smudge - talk to nicholls5 as she is also trying to do stalls.

However, this plight is urgent - and needs someone to help the dogs asap.

Anyone to talk to the radio and newspapers, to raise the problem of whats in the kennels around us now.

Let me know what you need and I'm all yours!

There needs to be a 5 year ban on breeding and bring back the dog license.

i agree bring back the dog licence and scrap the dda.

I think stalls are a good idea but it needs to be sustained and in peoples faces for it to start to make an impression. Unless a person is already motivated to do something i honestly can't see a fete making much of an impact. Facts and figures should be in the face daily, they need to know that Sheffield is a hell hole for animals. Embarrass them into doing something. You've got vans, make the real horror visible, forget this forever home nonsense. People who genuinely want a pet will get one. Show them what it's like for a dog to be stuck in a kennel day after day with next to nothing in their life.

What percentage of people using the pet forum are already aware of the truth?

I've seen so much pain and death in this job. Needless killings because of a shortage of space or because there's simply to many of a particular breed and this totally biased DDA.

All we do is perpetuate the problem. Rescues aren't cures, there drop off points for ********s who don't care.

When you open the kennel door it's unbelievable sometimes how much love pours out isn't it. You got to wonder what the hell keeps them going day after day. To finally get a lick or a paw from that dog that's spent 3 or 4 days pressed against the back wall, how fantastic does it make you feel. The dog that snaps and growls only to become your best friend. The one's that crawl to you on their belly in fear of what might happen then go berserk when all they get is a hug. The one's you know damn well wont make it much passed 7 days yet they deserve so much more. I'm a grown man and i'm sick of crying, but I can't bloody save them.

I don't know what the answer is..............

Smudge - it needs someone who cares and is committed to write to the newspapers and phone the local radio. You don't need to have a lot of knowledge on the subject - just say that you have heard that the local stray kennels are bursting with dogs.

The other side of Crufts - is that nobody cares about the 'also rans'.

Tell people where the pounds are that they can go and see some of the dogs - because they aren't advertised anywhere. They should be - but its a low priority to be done - so it doesn't get done.

Staffs you are right - I get upset, I get angry, I cry and I get stressed. All day I get calls from people trying to dump their dog for whatever reason - they even pay hundreds for these dogs when they get them - then think I should be grateful to take them in.

I don't know what the answer is - but I know that it needs to be sorted because there are going to be lots more killed soon - as purse strings tighten.

Thats what sickens me when more and more dogs are being bred, but if we do just something to help in our own area - at least some won't die when we could have helped.

Smudge - it needs someone who cares and is committed to write to the newspapers and phone the local radio. You don't need to have a lot of knowledge on the subject - just say that you have heard that the local stray kennels are bursting with dogs. The other side of Crufts - is that nobody cares about the 'also rans'.

Tell people where the pounds are that they can go and see some of the dogs - because they aren't advertised anywhere. They should be - but its a low priority to be done - so it doesn't get done.

Staffs you are right - I get upset, I get angry, I cry and I get stressed. All day I get calls from people trying to dump their dog for whatever reason - they even pay hundreds for these dogs when they get them - then think I should be grateful to take them in.

I don't know what the answer is - but I know that it needs to be sorted because there are going to be lots more killed soon - as purse strings tighten.

Thats what sickens me when more and more dogs are being bred, but if we do just something to help in our own area - at least some won't die when we could have helped.

Leave that to me Rain. Got your posters by the way. I have put a couple up at work (all NHS employees and criminal record checked etc) and am going to pop into Crookes @ Hackenthorpe on my way home. Will go to the one at Peaks also