Sheffield to London (Victoria) via train

As others have said, take a train, try trainline.com for cheap tickets

Do not use Trainline! You won't get the cheapest ticket from there, you will have a booking fee and maybe a card fee added. Book through East Midlands Trains website, no booking or card fees are added & there's a £1 discount for booking direct with them.

I would check all the sites as prices can vary hourly! I never pay more than £20 single return to London whether it's East Midlands or Trainline and it's usually £10 with Megatrain or National Express trains (though both tend to run later so no good for appointments) and I go on average once a month. It was £30 open return with reservations and choice of seat for me and the little one via Trainline with railcard. Hope you get a bargain and have a good trip.:)

Another tip, try and book any expensive attractions in advance, massive discounts and you may not have to queue:)

Don't buy an oyster card...

Do buy an Oyster card if you are using public transport in London. It is expensive without one. You can buy then at any ticket office. You pay £5 deposit then however much credit you want on them. We went to London for a few days bought them as we arrived and returned them as we left to get the deposit back. Saved a lot of money compared to paying for individual tickets.

If you are just there for a day it is a bit inconvenient but the alternatives seemed to be expensive. You can also keep hold of them if you are going back again though.

It's not really worth it for a day trip.

I have an Oyster Card for when I'm passing through London on my way to Kent, I usually use High Speed 1 from St Pancras but sometimes I need to get to Victoria for the slow service so I use the tube.

If I'm going for a day trip then I add a zone 1-6 travelcard to my train ticket and just use that, can't see the point of getting an Oyster Card just for a day.

I have an Oyster Card for when I'm passing through London ...

If I'm going for a day trip then I add a zone 1-6 travelcard to my train ticket and just use that, can't see the point of getting an Oyster Card just for a day.

Why don't you use the Oyster Card that you already have? :huh:

I used to go to London the night before a meeting, stay in a cheap hotel or with a friend and come back the next evening. It was as cheap as going down for the day. £39 versus £106. If several people are travelling, it would be cheaper to go by car.

Do buy an Oyster card if you are using public transport in London. It is expensive without one. You can buy then at any ticket office. You pay £5 deposit then however much credit you want on them. We went to London for a few days bought them as we arrived and returned them as we left to get the deposit back. Saved a lot of money compared to paying for individual tickets.

If you are just there for a day it is a bit inconvenient but the alternatives seemed to be expensive. You can also keep hold of them if you are going back again though.

No - for one day Oyster not good value - much better getting a day ticket that alows you to use as many tubes and buses as you want....same price as for the oyster card and maybe two tubes.

No - for one day Oyster not good value - much better getting a day ticket that alows you to use as many tubes and buses as you want....same price as for the oyster card and maybe two tubes.

Oyster is at least 50p cheaper than a travelcard.

"If you make lots of pay as you go journeys in one day we'll make sure you never pay more than the price of an equivalent Day Travelcard*. "

Edited by Zinger549

"If you make lots of pay as you go journeys in one day we'll make sure you never pay more than the price of an equivalent Day Travelcard*. "

The OP has a Family and Friends railcard, so will get a discount on a Day Travelcard.

But you also have to pay £5 just for the card and then cash to top it up.