Mosborough bypass

Is there a highway code quote that tells you not to use two lanes when they are available?

Find 'merge in turn' in the Highway Code

What, may I ask, do you think the other lane is for? Why do you not use it as is intended?

What, may I ask, do you think the other lane is for? Why do you not use it as is intended?

Overtaking

Before overtaking you should make sure the road is sufficiently clear ahead

road users are not beginning to overtake you

there is a suitable gap in front of the road user you plan to overtake

Overtake only when it is safe and legal to do so. You should

not get too close to the vehicle you intend to overtake

use your mirrors, signal when it is safe to do so, take a quick sideways glance if necessary into the blind spot area and then start to move out

not assume that you can simply follow a vehicle ahead which is overtaking; there may only be enough room for one vehicle

move quickly past the vehicle you are overtaking, once you have started to overtake. Allow plenty of room.

Move back to the left as soon as you can but do not cut in

You had batter take it up with the police because their driving manual disagrees with you. So do the IAM for that matter.

Please stop thinking that it's polite, it's not, it's silly. Forming pointless queues is a nonsensical waste of valuable time and roadspace.

dont think anyone thought of this (inform me if you have) but why dont the powers that be simply have the same system as Queens road or is that too much of a problem ????

dont think anyone thought of this (inform me if you have) but why dont the powers that be simply have the same system as Queens road or is that too much of a problem ????

I can only assume that expense was a factor. (I've raised the question before on this forum, and if I recall correctly was answered that it would cost far too much to install it now. I don't know what it would have cost as part of the original design.)

A dual carriageway would have been best, but would have cost more money (and is there space on that route anyway?) Failing that, a flow system with two lanes in for the morning and two lanes out for the evening does seem a fairly obvious thing to do.

The main reason the traffic is congested on the A57 back to the Parkway Roundabout is the poor flow of traffic through the Coisley Hill Roundabout at the other end. This would surely be impoved if the left hand lane was made left turn only and the right hand lane as straight ahead (A57) or right turn (small minority of traffic). Minimal cost - worth a trial ??

Why do we need the road laid out like it is anyway, its rubbish, cant we have either two lane into town all the way from roundabout to roundabout or the other way round??

Why do we need the road laid out like it is anyway, its rubbish, cant we have either two lane into town all the way from roundabout to roundabout or the other way round??

It's probably better the way it is. If you had it one lane in one direction all the way, you wouldn't be able to nip past a slow moving vehicle as you can now for at least part of the way.

We looked at this years ago when I was at SCC and concluded it was neither practical nor safe. Cost is a significant factor, but, there are logistical / safety issues like how would you do the lane markings?

There's a history of collisions on the Heeley Tidal Flow system with people going in the wrong lane and speeds aren't particularly high on there. The likelihood and consequences of people making a mistake on a high speed road have to be considered.

We looked at all the potential options for improving the flows on that section, but concluded that the existing layout is the best that can be done in the circumstances.

Overtaking

Before overtaking you should make sure the road is sufficiently clear ahead

road users are not beginning to overtake you

there is a suitable gap in front of the road user you plan to overtake

Overtake only when it is safe and legal to do so. You should

not get too close to the vehicle you intend to overtake

use your mirrors, signal when it is safe to do so, take a quick sideways glance if necessary into the blind spot area and then start to move out

not assume that you can simply follow a vehicle ahead which is overtaking; there may only be enough room for one vehicle

move quickly past the vehicle you are overtaking, once you have started to overtake. Allow plenty of room.

Move back to the left as soon as you can but do not cut in

Excellent post. So basically these people are not following the highway code.

No surprise there then.

Ignorance at its best!

Excellent post. So basically these people are not following the highway code.

No surprise there then.

Ignorance at its best!

Glad you read the highway code, the chosen section is based on a single carriageway not a feeder lane.

If people are too polite to use it then enjoy your queueing, its easy to use, not rocket science and eases congestion.

Oh and for the idiots that try to crash into me for using the roads as they are meant to be used, my cars a company car with company insurance and the accident would be classed as 50/50 so enjoy your increased insurance premiums.

If people used the roads in the way they are meant to, i.e only being in middle/outside lane when they are overtaking on motorway, understanding that national speed limit on dual carriageway is 70 NOT 60 and using feeder lanes then your journey time would probably decrease and you wouldnt be so angry at life :)