Moving to Sheffield - Thoughts on Dronfield?

Hi everyone,

currently living in Essex (nothing to be proud of I know) and potentially looking to move the family to Sheffield later on this year.

In some sort of order, the things that are most important to me are:-

1. Good local schools. My eldest starts secondary school in September and youngest will do the following year

2. Closeness to Sheffield - ideally within 15 mins on public transport.

3. Nice/safe area. Not after anything too posh, I like in Essex for christs sake, but somewhere where the girls will be able to go out in years to come and feel safe.

4. Easy access to M1 - I'll be visiting family down saarf regularly so I guess the south of sheffield is the preference.

5. Sensible prices. Looking to spend approx £190k-£200k on a 3/4 bed property.

The areas I've come up with so far are Dronfield and Jordanthorpe, although admittedly this is based mainly around the quality of secondary schools in close proximity (Henry Fanshaw & Meadowhead respectively)

Any other thoughts would be gratefully received, either on the two areas I've made mention of or indeed anything else that seems to tick the boxes.

Thanks in advance, will pay you in John Smiths upon my arrival up north.

Regards Pete

Edited by searsp
Poor spelling/grammar - me being a retard

Hi everyone,

currently living in Essex (nothing to be proud of I know) and potentially looking to move the family to Sheffield later on this year.

1. Good local schools. My eldest starts secondary school in September and youngest will do the following year

3. Nice/safe area. Not after anything too posh, I like in Essex for christs sake, but somewhere where the girls will be able to go out in years to come and feel safe.

4. Easy access to M1 - I'll be visiting family down saarf regularly so I guess the south of sheffield is the preference.

The areas I've come up with so far are Dronfield and Jordanthorpe, although admittedly this is based mainly around the quality of secondary schools in close proximity (Henry Fanshaw & Meadowhead respectively)

Any other thoughts would be gratefully received, either on the two areas I've made mention of or indeed anything else that seems to tick the boxes.

Regards Pete

I would highly recommend Dronfield in respect of public transport the train to Sheffield is quic,k buses take some time to get into the centre of Sheffield as it is around 7miles the schools are a good standard in Dronfield 2 supermarkets its next door to the peak district and houses are reasonably priced.

Jordanthorpe is not as popular an area to live as Dronfield.

I too recommend Dronfield as opposed to Jordanthorpe. I think Dronfield has a wider choice of housing and is a larger area, being a town as opposed to an area as Jordanthorpe is. Not sure what the results differences are between the two schools - you'd have to check them out.

Dronfield is officially in Derbyshire so a taxi home from a night out in Sheffield might be a bit more expensive than say Jordanthorpe. Norton is fairly nice too, near Jordanthorpe.

If you haven't got Google Earth and Street View on your computer then do it now. It's invaluable for things like this!

Good Luck!

I would recommend Dronfield over Jordanthorpe, but I think your children may find it a bit out of things when they get older and are looking for going out at night. My daughter has a friend there who doesn't like it and thinks it is a boring place to live, but then teenagers tend to think that wherever they are.

Have you looked at other areas such as Hillsborough or Chapeltown, which also have good access to the M1? I love being on the supertram route which I feel is safe transport for my teenager to be able to get out independantly.

Dronfield is seperated from Sheffield and Chesterfield by approx 7 miles each. Its a relatively nice quiet area to live, with predominantely private housing. Transport to either Chesterfield or Sheffield without a car is ok in the daytime, roughly 30-40 mins for both. the train I think is less regular.

Evening travel after 10pm will be Taxi.

I would recommend it

thanks for all the responses, especially those of you who have taken the time to send me a PM also. I can't respond by PM as I haven't made 5 posts yet and haven't qualified therefore as a Level 1 northerner.

At the risk of upsetting any of my new sheffield friends, any thoughts on Barnsley as a place to live? It's not much further to drive back south and it's commutable to Sheffield. Appreciate any views.

Thanks again to everyone. Pete

My gran is from Barnsley. She was VERY eager to move out of it- I am Australian if that gives you a clue. :hihi:

I live in Dronfield now and I love it. Nice pubs, great community, good schools and very safe.

Hi everyone,

Regards Pete

Have you thought Southall,Beighton or Mosboro,all with easy acces to M1 and decent areas.

I was brought up on the nice side of Barnsley though moved down south now. Same as anywhere there are nice areas so would recommend Dodworth, Silkstone, Cawthorne etc and also handy for the M1.

Another couple of areas to consider Dronfield woodhouse and Norton. Jordanthorpe is a council estate for the most part although plenty of the houses are now owned by the residents although there are some newer houses built down one side. Possibly some of the side roads off meadowhead would fit your requirements as well and I think that area would come under Chancet Wood.Heading down the hill a bit closer to Sheffield you come to Woodseats which is a decent area with plenty of shops on the main drag and a lot of variety in house styles and prices . Two other names have come to mind Greenhill and Beauchief, again on that side of the city and nice areas.