Is Satan really a bad person?

So does God forgive every one then?

Yes it is for everyone, the 'whosoever' which is those who believe on him and repent of their sins.

Some people add other conditions but I think repentance is sufficient provided it is genuine.

So, god forgives my former neighbours' children for having to be taken into care, in order to protect them from the neglectful, feckless imbeciles they had to call their parents?

My schoolfriend is forgiven for being raped by, and having a child to, her paedophile father, is she?

Why do they need forgiveness for the sins of others?

Yes it is for everyone, the 'whosoever' which is those who believe on him and repent of their sins.

Some people add other conditions but I think repentance is sufficient provided it is genuine.

But the child with crap violent parents and rubbish DNA that turned out bad has never been told about God, knows nothing of God or about asking for forgiveness, again not this persons fault but the fault of their environment and upbringing.

But the child with crap violent parents and rubbish DNA that turned out bad has never been told about God, knows nothing of God or about asking for forgiveness, again not this persons fault but the fault of their averment and upbringing.

True, but it is their choice what they do.

By the way I have some experience of this at work and I admit environment is a strong influence, but it is their surrounding that are to blame not God.

If you want to bring God into it just let me say there are hardened criminals who have had wonderful conversions and are changed people.

I haven't read any of this thread apart from the OP but to quote Jim Jeffries (in a fashion): if i spend my life doing drugs and using hookers, do i really want to go to heaven to meet great aunt Mable, or go to hell, where the drugs and hookers are!!!!!

So your forgiving God or Jesus only forgives those who repent, some kind of forgiveness that is. Who are the other people who add conditions? Surely people can't tell God what conditions he can add. He, according to you, is all powerful and forgiving - what a load of claptrap you talk Grahame

By the way I have some experience of this at work and I admit environment is a strong influence, but it is their surrounding that are to blame not God.

If you want to bring God into it just let me say there are hardened criminals who have had wonderful conversions and are changed people.

I'm not disputing that but this person has never been told of God, knows nothing of God or about asking for forgiveness and the surrounding were not of their making. They cannot choose to ask for forgiveness because God hasn’t chose to inform them of his existence.

If God now chooses to punish this person then God is not a just or fair God.

then God is not a just or fair God.

Nor compassionate or caring.

Wonderful conversions, do they play rugby?

I'm not disputing that but this person has never been told of God, knows nothing of God or about asking for forgiveness and the surrounding were not of their making. They cannot choose to ask for forgiveness because God hasn’t chose to inform them of his existence.

If God now chooses to punish this person then God is not a just or fair God.

If someone decides to mug an old lady and rob her of her pension, that is their choice, equally it is their choice not to. It's no good trying to blame other people.

If you decide to break the speed limit and you get caught, it's no good blaming the speed camera, or the government for putting it there or the coppers, it was your decision and don't go blaming anyone else whether you have heard of God or not. Either way you will get done. It is called justice. Goodnight.

1. For this one we first have to assume (whether you be religious, atheist or other) that the Christian God exists and that Satan exists, so just go with it if you want to contribute.

2. If this thread starts to offend you or your beliefs in any way, you should probably stop reading it

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to christianity, most folklore and media, Satan is a very bad guy. But is he really?

Why?

Imagine 2 friends: Gordon and Sam. Gordon is older and stronger than Sam but they are still friends

Gordon has big plans for a project he's been building

Sam looks up to Gordon and aspires to be like him

It gets a bit competitive

Gordon bosses all his younger friends about, saying that they must do this and that

Gordon and Sam fall out and gang up with their other friends, taking sides

Gordon is still stronger than Sam and kicks him out of the playpark

Gordon makes sure that everybody badmouths Sam in the neighbourhood, for all eternity. He even gets some men to write it down in a book he is currently dictating.

- Does that mean that Sam is a bad person? or that he just wanted to be like Gordon? Or was he sick of Gordon and just wouldn't be bossed about?

I used Gordon and Sam as examples because I don't know the exact story details of God and Satan, but In all my reading I haven't found any reason that Satan should actually be regarded as bad (prior to him being cast out of heaven, after which point is is forever painted darkly in literature due to God being in charge of what is written in the bible).

Is Satan REALLY a bad person? if so, why?

Satan like all these various gods do not exist, it's like believing in little red riding hood lol.

but it is their surrounding that are to blame not God..

What created their surroundings?

If your god is all powerful and created everything in the universe then, ultimately, he/she/it is responsible for everything that happens within it.