Massive quake hits Japan 11/3/11

Hope your lad stays safe and Joans as well.

Just spoken to mine this morning. He's happy that he managed to get a full tank of petrol so at least they can take off if they have to. He seems to be on form but.....

I've already sent him this thread so if he sees anything to comment on, I'm sure he'll pass it on for me to post.

The electricity company has said there will be 3 hour power cuts 2-3 times a day for a few weeks. Not exactly sure whether my region will be affected but I suspect it is.

Now considering exit options. I am contracted to the end of March so have been thinking I`d stick it out until then. However, I won`t be able to work under those conditions if the power cuts do happen. I guess I`ll go into work tomorrow morning and see what my boss thinks about it all.

Power plant situation is looking a bit better from the information released. Aftershocks are not diminishing, there was a fairly strong one earlier this evening.

Edited by Crayfish

The electricity company has said there will be 3 hour power cuts 2-3 times a day for a few weeks. Not exactly sure whether my region will be affected but I suspect it is.

Now considering exit options. I am contracted to the end of March so have been thinking I`d stick it out until then. However, I won`t be able to work under those conditions if the power cuts do happen. I guess I`ll go into work tomorrow morning and see what my boss thinks about it all.

Power plant situation is looking a bit better from the information released. Aftershocks are not diminishing, there was a fairly strong one earlier this evening.

good luck dude, stay safe

Japans police have said the death toll could be 10,000....just in the Miyagi region alone.

Just spoken to mine this morning. He's happy that he managed to get a full tank of petrol so at least they can take off if they have to. He seems to be on form but.....

I've already sent him this thread so if he sees anything to comment on, I'm sure he'll pass it on for me to post.

Glad to hear he and his wife are OK.:)

Two three hour blocks a day is quite a chunk out of a working day isn't it. I do hope you will be given the option of getting home before the end of your contract. In the circumstances I would have thought that that would be a strong possibility.

Continue to say safe and be sure that all of us at home are thinking about you....

I am glad they are safe. If he had to get out he would head south I suppose?

Yet another power station has just been declared to have problems, that makes 4 now, but the latest one is much nearer to Tokyo, so is more of a worry to us.

Cray bought in some supplies but I don't think he thought of candles, so he is in for a long dark evening tomorrow.

The problem for him with power cuts is that he is working with fragile tissue which would spoil without refridgeration, and using electrically powered microscopes etc, so if there are a power cuts his research will not be possible. If his work isn't possible he might as well come home early (he has tickets for in 3 weeks time) but there are apparently 1700 people sleeping at Narita airport waiting for flights, so it won't be easy to get a flight from there, he might have to go south to find a less busy airport.

I think the New Scientist watching brief on the situation is likely to be less sensational than the Sidney Morning Herald.

http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/shortsharpscience/2011/03/massive-explosion-rips-through.html

I've always liked Japan and Japanese culture, especially modern Japanese culture, Tokyo is the most vibrant and dynamic place in the world alongside Britain and the USA; those Manga/Anime films they make are brilliant, like this one from 20 years ago

Amazing.

Guest sibon
I think the New Scientist watching brief on the situation is likely to be less sensational than the Sidney Morning Herald.

http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/shortsharpscience/2011/03/massive-explosion-rips-through.html

Agreed. The Sydney Morning Herald loses all credibility with its attempt to equate Fukushima with Chernobyl.

They are very different.

Japan moved 8 feet east, and the day is now 1.8 seconds longer.

Guest sibon
Japan moved 8 feet east, and the day is now 1.8 seconds longer.

Some reports are estimating that a short portion of the fault moved 40m during the quake. That is huge.