Massive quake hits Japan 11/3/11

I'm sure Scotland had problems, with sudden dead sheep etc? All this stuff is covered up anyways.

Nah...the sheep weren't dying, - just glowing in the dark. :hihi:

why did Japanese build nuclear power plant on one of the most dangerous earthquake zones in the world?

The anti nuclear lobby will have a field day!

I doubt very much it could reach to the UK, even Chernobyl didn't impact too much on us, although I remember staying indoors with my new baby just in case.

I hope they soon sort out the second reactor, as it could impact on Crayfish (and others) in Tokyo, although he has his windows closed, air conditioning switched off, and has a mask to wear,and the prevailing wind is out to sea at the moment, which is a blessing.

Hope your lad stays safe and Joans as well.

why did Japanese build nuclear power plant on one of the most dangerous earthquake zones in the world?

To be fair to the Japanese they didn't have much choice...their whole country is situated on one of the most active plate tectonic zones in the world

Guest sibon
To be fair to the Japanese they didn't have much choice...their whole country is situated on one of the most active plate tectonic zones in the world

And that should give us all a bit of solace. They are brilliant at building earthquakeproof buildings. I imagine that they have paid special attention to this when designing the power stations.

Must be a bit of a bugger to deal with though. Earthquake + Tsunami + Nuclear Explosion.

And that should give us all a bit of solace. They are brilliant at building earthquakeproof buildings. I imagine that they have paid special attention to this when designing the power stations.

Must be a bit of a bugger to deal with though. Earthquake + Tsunami + Nuclear Explosion.

Well, when one of the most technologically advanced nations on the Earth struggles with a natural disaster it just show how devastating it is for places like Haiti and Iran who've suffered recently.

Plate tectonics eh, who ever thinks that Geography isn't worth studying should go to Japan right now.

sorry to sound heartless in all this but will household insurance cover any of this.

it's going to be a massive economic setback for Japan. To build it up again like it was before, will cost $100 billion dollars.

sorry to sound heartless in all this but will household insurance cover any of this.

On the second page of this article they are not sure what insurance Tokyo Electric (nuclear power plant owners) have and also they say only about 14% of homeowners have earthquake insurance ? :(

it's going to be a massive economic setback for Japan. To build it up again like it was before, will cost $100 billion dollars.

Could also be a massive kickstart for the asian economies,which are failing badly.

Japan will require massive investment to recover,this investment will come from localised countries,expect commodity share prices to triple,also minerals,on a world wide basis.

Well, that's exactly the point. The nuclear plants in Japan are designed to automatically shut down in the event of a major earthquake. To paint the multiple shutdown as a worrying event is entirely the opposite of the truth.

There are two reactors where the cooling system has failed. That is a concern, but it can be handled without posing a danger to the public. Nevertheless, Japanese law invokes a state of "nuclear emergency" immediately upon any cooling failure; they don't take risks, not even small ones.

I haven't seen today's news. But what you say, as I would think, is that the measures they take are likely to be better than most.

how on earth can people learn from nature, nature will consume anything it wants - when it wants, and nothing will ever be able to stop it and nothing ever has

nature is king and we are all nothing

I don't think anyone in the past has ever felt as powerful as we think we are today. Not much has changed nature wise, the only change is our knowledge and collective ego. These events have happened as long as the planet has been here, and at far greater magnitudes. There are a reported [sadly] 1000 deaths (from an earlier post)... had this been almost any other country, that figure would be much larger, I think. Considering what I saw on the TV yesterday, I'm quite shocked that the death toll is that low.

They knew they lived on one of the most dangerous plates in the world and designed their plants as such. They also don't have oil and gas close to home like we do. If there was gas below their surface, I wouldn't have thought it would be a good idea to stick pipes in the ground that are likely to snap at any point, knowing they are moving quickly on the plates.