Massive quake hits Japan 11/3/11

The size of the tsunami, once it exists, would be modified (very slightly, I think!) depending on whether it's low tide or high tide, and the proximity of Moon to Earth could have a bearing on that. I'm not capable of doing the mathematics but I think the effect would be trivial. I've never seen or heard of any report saying that a tsunami was worse because it struck at high tide.

All of this, though, is a far cry from someone claiming to have predicted an earthquake because the Moon was nearer to Earth than the average. The Moon is nearer to Earth than the average on a very regular and predictable basis, but earthquakes are not predictable in the slightest, and certainly not regular.

Yes, there is some thought that the tsunami may be slightly worse due to the presence of high spring tides. I would agree that the effect is probably small. Dave dave - of course the moon didn't cause the tsunami! (Or earthquake for that matter!)

Yes, there is some thought that the tsunami may be slightly worse due to the presence of high spring tides. I would agree that the effect is probably small. Dave dave - of course the moon didn't cause the tsunami! (Or earthquake for that matter!)

Sorry, I mistook you for one similar to a few I've heard this morning telling the other staff that "the moon pulls the waves up and makes a tsunami" or similar, I read your comment and lumped you into that group, I apologise.

Out of interest, what has made people think that the moon causes Tsunamis?

Out of interest, what has made people think that the moon causes Tsunamis?

This is the chief reason why scientists were so keen to eliminate the misnomer of "tidal wave" for a tsunami. People used to assume that a tidal wave was something to do with tides, and the Moon (chiefly) causes the tides.

I remember, many years ago, learning about tidal waves and wondering why they were so called when they were nothing to do with tides. Well, they aren't any more.

Edited by HeadingNorth

My son skyped me at 6 this morning saying that this was the worst one he has known in the twenty odd years since he's been there. He was walking home from a class that he'd been doing and still was about 2 hours away. No landlines and he hadn't been able to contact his wife. I could hear the sirens in the background and it was very scary hearing that at the same time as seing stuff on the news.....To say I'm worried sick is a bit of an understatement......

I hope your son & his wife are ok, Joan. My thoughts are with you.

X

My son skyped me at 6 this morning saying that this was the worst one he has known in the twenty odd years since he's been there. He was walking home from a class that he'd been doing and still was about 2 hours away. No landlines and he hadn't been able to contact his wife. I could hear the sirens in the background and it was very scary hearing that at the same time as seing stuff on the news.....To say I'm worried sick is a bit of an understatement......

blimey Joan how scary......hope to god everything is ok :(

Its just said on Sky news that a nuclear power station is now on fire, i don't like the sound of that! This is a terrible disaster and i hope Joans son is okay x

The tsunami is going to affect a huge number of people - it's about to hit Taiwan and next the Philippines. Some of the small, low lying Pacific islands are likely to be completely engulfed.

A map of the timing and extent of the affected areas is here, although the height and strength of the wave will dissipate over distance.

Its just said on Sky news that a nuclear power station is now on fire, i don't like the sound of that!

All the nuclear stations in Japan are designed to shut down automatically in cases like this, and the authorities seem fairly happy that there are no radiation leaks or dangers. Of course, there are any number of non-reactor buildings that could catch fire and pose a risk to life and property, but there doesn't seem to be any danger of a Chernobyl-like incident.

Oh Joanl you must be frantic, praying that all is well with your lad and his wife X BBC have just said there is now an Tsunami alert for the West Coast of the USA so just messaged my lad in LA. He is quite far from the coast but you still worry when they are so far away.

I have been in touch with my son in Tokyo, and he is fine. He was just about to set off home from work, so I am waiting to hear he is home and his flat is ok.

I hope you soon hear all your family are ok, Joanl.

I would be creeped the hell out. Apparently a Tsunami warning has been issued for Hawaii...

The whole of the Pacific basin is now on Tsunami alert.

Definitely a bad one this:(.