Biggest improvement scheme will take place around Malin Bridge!

Problem with Malin bridge is the existing layout is restricted and there is little room to create more space for pedestrians and cyclists. Its always going to be a compromise but the existing layout had to be improved. I'm sure it was required for the school to pass the planning process.

The majority of the improvements are to increase the safety for pedestrians and cyclists given the predicted increase in numbers negotiating Malin Bridge. Its not just at all for the benefit of motorists. Hopefully parents thinking about driving their children the short distance to school will encourage their children to either walk or cycle.

I fixed your sentence for you.

I fixed your sentence for you.

Cheers Cyclone :)

The plan shown on the SCC website is slightly different from the initial design done late 2009/early 2010. The original plan preserved 2 lanes on the southern section approaching the turning for Rivelin Valley Rd instead of having the right hand lane for straight on and left hand lane for RVR. This may make it more difficult to exit RVR. Also the changed priority adjacent to the junction of Loxley Rd was not in the original plan. This may cause queues on the one way system unless the toucon is used a lot to hold back traffic on Loxley Rd.

None of it is going to be of benefit to motorists passing through an already extremely busy area. The whole issue was pointed out before the school merger went ahead, but the council (who aren't anti car) always know best...

One would perhaps reasonably assume that they mean a combined footpath and cycle path. :rolleyes:

For what it's worth, I'm not a fan (as a cyclist) of these either for reasons too numerous to go into. Roads are for bikes and should be designed accordingly.

As a pedestrian and a cyclist I agree with you. Pedestrians belong on the pavement, cycles belong in the canal on the road.

good luck with wotever mess they come up with , im sure theres going to be traffic gridlock while it all goes on !!!

They should just put in some pedestrian bridges, rather than crossings that will cause traffic tail-backs for miles.

Common sense has never been planners' strong point though.

Ah, but planner1 will tell you that bridges separate foot and road traffic, and that's divisive and not the modern way of doing things. Plus there might be one in a thousand people who find it difficult to use.

The modern way of doing things is to inconvenience both sets of traffic, but much more the motorist.