Childminder wanted or available MEGATHREAD

Alot of nursuries do this with bank hols, however I think that she is out of order.

Surely if she is self employed she funds her own holidays.

Have you got any sort of contract or details of her policies?

If she has stated it in those then i'd pay up as you haven't read them.

Think i'd be looking for an alternative though.

Most childminders don't charge when they go on holiday, but do when you take yours.

If you google childminders holiday pay/entitlement there are numerous threads on other forums regarding this.

Some charge for 4 weeks holiday, some charge for a couple, some charge half their rate and some don't charge at all.

Most state its in the contract and they make parents well aware.

If your child is happy with the childminder and there are no other issues i would pay if it's in the contract.

If it wasn't then I wouldn't and change childcare providers.

I think really it's taking the mick as they are self employed and have chosen this job.

No other self employed people would be able to do this.

We havent signed any contract and she never said she wanted paying just said she was on hol so couldnt work (obviously) really cant afford to pay her and someone else to watch kids

Did she not give you any written documentation about her procedure, policies etc?

If she did and it doesn't state anything about holidays then I'd certainly argue that there is no mention of it.

Who is having the children instead Im presuming the childcare has been arranged already?

It's the same at private nurseries, total rip off i think!!

Did she not give you any written documentation about her procedure, policies etc?

If she did and it doesn't state anything about holidays then I'd certainly argue that there is no mention of it.

Who is having the children instead Im presuming the childcare has been arranged already?

We are paying parents to do it for us as we get a bit of help so can pass that on she never mentioned or gave us a written contract stating that she wants paying fully while off and as the holiday was pre arranged and she is moving out of sheff soon had we known this we wouldnt have bothered, she has been working for us for 6 weeks now and on the day before she is off she decides to mention it which i also think was out of order if she says she is having it then it will be last she gets as i will be classing it as her notice.

hi, i was looking at becoming a childminder/nanny and i would have had to give the parents/employers a written notice and vice versa if they were to go on hol but the pay was arranged before any employment would have commenced. I know it sounds awful and she looks after your children but she has no right to do this, especially as there is no contract. although if you manage to sort this out and she continues to care for your children, it might be worth just writing up a small contract so your both clear on hours/pays/sick/whats expected etc. I also had to take 2 weeks of my holidays the same time as my employers would have, and the other 2 weeks with at least 4 weeks notice given.

If she is a registered childminder then you should have signed a contract with her. If she isn't then paying for her holiday is the least of your problems.

When I used to be a registered childminder, I used to charge if I was available, but not if I was not. So for the parents holidays, I was available but they were choosing not to use me, so I asked them to still pay me, otherwise each of them could have taken holidays and I would be without money each time. However when I went on holiday I wasn't available to offer the service so I didn't feel I could charge. I was also a member of a childminding co-operative, so when I went on holiday one of the other members would offer holiday cover at the same rate that I usually charged, for continuous care.

Hi all, i am looking for child care roughly once a fortnight on friday and saturday evenings, i have 3 children, my daughter is 7 and is autistic and i have 2 boys aged 4 and 5 months, i am looking for someone with experience of autistic children, who is qualified and has crb check, please get in touch with prices and info, i am in s5 just off herries road

Hi i have a level 3 in childcare and i have lots of experience in looking after child with special needs i worked for 3 years in a special school at the other side of town and i myself have a 18 old son with ADHD and ASD, i am at the morment doing training to be a nanny/childminder for special needs, i have a CRB what i did whilst working in the school i finished there in April 11,

I am a registered childminder and agree, I would only charge If I am available to take your child and not if I was on holiday. If she has not provided you with a contract I would strongly recommend that you get her to do one, other wise she doesn't have a leg to stand on. I always give at least 12 weeks notice if I am going in holiday and I usually seek alternative care for the family whilst I am away. I hope you get it sorted.