Which martial art?

I'm looking to get my kids in to martial arts but as I've never done it myself I'm not sure which one to go for. My kids are boy 5, girl 3 and we live near Eckington. I'm looking for something cost effective maybe once a week.

http://www.excel-in-life.com based on holbroke industrial estate, excel in my view is the best in this area for kids martial arts I take my nephew aged 5 and he loves it every time, most importantly they do a class for ages 3-5 as I had took my nephew to a few that said from age 5+ and they was kids twice his size a bit scary for him, the class is tought by liam from britons got talents martial arts deo strike. The cost is not the cheapest but fair and you get two free trail lessons to see what it's like . But if your wanting the cheapest martial arts training in this area try http://www.sonbae.org.uk based in killamarsh sports center ages 5+ 3 pound per lesson that lasts 2 hours. Hope i've helped

I'd be suprised if any class were to take on youngsters under 5. Given you kids are so young I'd imagine most sessions would be about coordination by playing physical games rather than too much technique, but that will come in time.

Rather than thinking of "which martial art?" try to find a club that you feel is professionally run and where the kids enjoy themselves.

You will get lots of advice about style x is no good, style y is fantastic etc etc but for the kids I would honestly say go with the class they enjoy - hopefully they will be more likely to stick at it :)

http://www.excel-in-life.com based on holbroke industrial estate, excel in my view is the best in this area for kids martial arts I take my nephew aged 5 and he loves it every time, most importantly they do a class for ages 3-5 as I had took my nephew to a few that said from age 5+ and they was kids twice his size a bit scary for him, the class is tought by liam from britons got talents martial arts deo strike. The cost is not the cheapest but fair and you get two free trail lessons to see what it's like . But if your wanting the cheapest martial arts training in this area try http://www.sonbae.org.uk based in killamarsh sports center ages 5+ 3 pound per lesson that lasts 2 hours. Hope i've helped

Superconko, how much does the EXCEL martial arts cost? Is it a pay as you go or monthly membership system?

I'd be suprised if any class were to take on youngsters under 5. Given you kids are so young I'd imagine most sessions would be about coordination by playing physical games rather than too much technique, but that will come in time.

Rather than thinking of "which martial art?" try to find a club that you feel is professionally run and where the kids enjoy themselves.

You will get lots of advice about style x is no good, style y is fantastic etc etc but for the kids I would honestly say go with the class they enjoy - hopefully they will be more likely to stick at it :)

I think Karate and Taekwondo are best for kids that young. Move them onto something else if they get bored. For young kids get them to try different systems. Taekwondo is a good base system , also try Judo or Ju Jitsu. Maybe let them have a bash at boxing too (pardon the pun).

The emphasis should be on having fun and learning motor skills rather than on the fighting aspect to begin with.

Hi chiefkicker it's pay monthly 25 pound a month, lessons are packed full of games/fun training developing the basic skills to develop them to have great reactions awareness and respect liam is great with the kids the way he runs his class is top notch the best I found by a mile

Hi chiefkicker it's pay monthly 25 pound a month, lessons are packed full of games/fun training developing the basic skills to develop them to have great reactions awareness and respect liam is great with the kids the way he runs his class is top notch the best I found by a mile

Nice one, how many lessons do you get per week for that price?

I wouldn't take a 3 year old to any organised martial art. I taught my kids a few kicks and one of my daughters keeps kicking me in the knee. And it hurts!!!!!

Seriously 3 is too young IMHO. 5 might be possible but something like Judo would be best then graduate to different disciplines as time goes....

Rather than a martial art, why not try a gymnastics class first? Especially for the 3 year old but just as relevant for the 5 year old. Like Chefkicker says, teaching motor skills and coordination is far more important than a particular discipline and gymnastics would give a good physical background (in terms of core strength and flexibility) for any sport/MA to build on.

Seriously 3 is too young IMHO. 5 might be possible but something like Judo would be best then graduate to different disciplines as time goes....

I'd be suprised if you find a Judo club that will take 3 year old kids TBH. Main governing body insurance applies only to over 5s.

Hi, in BJJ we take them 4 plus (and our insurance covers 4 plus) as a lot of our stuff is rolling around the floor. Noel

I'd second BJJ. My two kids goto gracie barra, they are 4 and 10 and they love it!