Highfields / Lowfields - Anyone living there?

I'm considering buying in the Highfields / Lowfields area and would really appreciate anyone giving feedback on what sort of place this is to live?

I'm specifically thinking about here.

Please say if you actually live in the area or just know of it. Cheers!

It's very convenient for the city centre; it's within 5-10 mins strolling distance. Also close to plenty of frequent bus routes.

A foodista will love the restaurants on London Road.

Very close to Beautiful Downtown Bramall Lane, so unless you are a soccer fan, you *will* find problems with congestion, when it's a home match.

Quite a lot of student houses round here, as convenient for both uni's campuses. (which might add tot he car/congestion problems)

Not a bad community, very diverse.

PT

I lived in this area for two years when I was a student.

This is just my very own honest opinion - I wouldn't recommend it. To be fair, it was 18 months ago I moved out, but I know at that time there were a lot of drug dealers, gangs, high crime, litter everywhere etc. I doubt it has changed very much.

Examples :- The house next door to us was raided and they found a cannabis factory worth £250,000, we were broken into in broad daylight by a junkie, a guy got stabbed one tea time just up the road from us etc etc

PT has pointed out some of the good aspects of living in this area and yes I completely agree with them but you have to weigh out the pros and cons.

If it's round near Heeley - which I'm sure it is, then it's pretty reasonable.

:)

I live in Highfields. Very studenty where we live. We've never had any problems but the area is known for burgulary apparently (especially non-term when the students are away).

The police did come round the other day and warn us about keeping windows closed as people are apparently shimmying up drainpipes. I wouldn't recommend that at my house as the piping is shocking, I'd probably get sued if a burgular tried to climb it :D

Pt is correct with the traffic thing. We live very close to Bramall Lane, and on match days there is noway you can find anywhere to park (and you rudely get given a ticket if you happen to be parked on 'the wrong' side of the road when the police arrive before a match.)

But I like the area! It's so convienient for town

Originally posted by CherryNicole

I live in Highfields.

So my honest adivce would be...avoid Highfields or you may end up with Cherry as a neighbour :help::rant::hihi:

Originally posted by Andy

So my honest adivce would be...avoid Highfields or you may end up with Cherry as a neighbour :help::rant::hihi:

:o:o:o:o

You wern't complaining when you were at my house young man!

I'm a good neighbour actually, unlike my neighbours

Originally posted by Lee1979

I lived in this area for two years when I was a student.

This is just my very own honest opinion - I wouldn't recommend it. To be fair, it was 18 months ago I moved out, but I know at that time there were a lot of drug dealers, gangs, high crime, litter everywhere etc. I doubt it has changed very much.

Examples :- The house next door to us was raided and they found a cannabis factory worth £250,000, we were broken into in broad daylight by a junkie, a guy got stabbed one tea time just up the road from us etc etc

PT has pointed out some of the good aspects of living in this area and yes I completely agree with them but you have to weigh out the pros and cons.

I'd disagree about the crime, it's not too bad round here, IMO.

I feel completely safe wandering round her and I use a wheelchair..

Burglaries? if an area is reknowned for being "student-y" which this area is, then of course it'll be targetted by the oppportunists. Think about all that lovely computer and hi-fi equipment they bring with them, which can be sold on? especially if they are careless and leave windows open etc.

The litter is from the idiots and drunkard pigs who are so idle they can't reach out their hand to the litter bin they are standing beside, to place the rubbish in the bin. it's not the district, itself.

There may be the odd pocket of problems, but, you find that in practically every area.

Apart fron the "alkies" who hang about outside the chemist, its not that bad, at all.

IMO there are more "pros" than "cons" to living round here.

PT

Thanks for all the comments. It doesn't sound too bad an area, I live on West Street at the moment, and have had about enough of it! :)