Iain Duncan Smith - latest pension news

Just seen this snippet from the article:

" Some higher earners with a full NI contribution track record are already receiving £200 a week or more. "

It does seem to penalise those who have worked hard to ensure they've always contributed to National Insurance. I understand some of the benefits, but find it interesting that they've gone for a "middle ground".

Perhaps not a massive issue in this case, but it does seem to suggest that going the extra mile will not reap its rewards. Just my take on it though.

Will the ones already on £200 pound a week pension have theirs cut to £140, that does not seem fair after they have worked all their lives.

Will the ones already on £200 pound a week pension have theirs cut to £140, that does not seem fair after they have worked all their lives.

I wouldn't imagine so. I read it that those with less state pension would get theirs raised to £140, and pension credit would no longer exist. That alone would save a fortune in all the costs of regular means testing. Those with more than £140 would continue to get the pension they'd accumulated.

I wouldn't imagine so. I read it that those with less state pension would get theirs raised to £140, and pension credit would no longer exist. That alone would save a fortune in all the costs of regular means testing. Those with more than £140 would continue to get the pension they'd accumulated.

If that's the case then that's good news all round really, sensible policy.

However, I'm fairly sure this suggestion of IDS won't be for those of us who are already retired. :(

it think it would have to be, part of this modification appears to be being funded by reducing the horrendously complex administration of the various benefits and credits, having to manage two separate schemes would be more complex

So if for instance someone receives £140 per week when they are 60 and they are a carer, how much more would they be entitled to?

So if for instance someone receives £140 per week when they are 60 and they are a carer, how much more would they be entitled to?

If you're referring to Carers Allowance, I think that stops when you reach retirement age, because you get a pension and can't receive both.

If you're referring to Carers Allowance, I think that stops when you reach retirement age, because you get a pension and can't receive both.

Oh I thought pensioners received a component of the Carers Allowance (or Invalid Care Allowance as it used to be called)

Oh I thought pensioners received a component of the Carers Allowance (or Invalid Care Allowance as it used to be called)

Ah - you might be thinking about Attendance Allowance! That's what people get if they need help to manage, and is not age-restricted.

Carers' Allowance is the pittance that the Government kindly gives to people who spend a minimum of 37 (I think) hours looking after somebody else. As I said, that stops when you start to recieve the old age pension.