Trouble changing 1 and 2p's

I cant belive how hard it is to swap 1 and 2p's!!

we have been putting copper coins into a money box for a while, so when its full to buy something for our young son (we buy him things with pound notes usually!! just thought this would be fun to do)

so couple of days back it was full, so we emptyed it counted it and see where we could change it into notes

the post office would not do it, all the banks would not do it unless you are members with them, our bank was closed at the time, we will get them changed later in the week at our bank but we cant belive how hard it is to change currency.

maybe a new job for the 3.2 million pound bonuses a year these bank managers are getting.

I know there is coin star but they take a chunk as "service charge"

soon I think the "public service" and doing things to help people out will be no more.

I cant belive how hard it is to swap 1 and 2p's!!

we have been putting copper coins into a money box for a while, so when its full to buy something for our young son (we buy him things with pound notes usually!! just thought this would be fun to do)

so couple of days back it was full, so we emptyed it counted it and see where we could change it into notes

the post office would not do it, all the banks would not do it unless you are members with them, our bank was closed at the time, we will get them changed later in the week at our bank but we cant belive how hard it is to change currency.

maybe a new job for the 3.2 million pound bonuses a year these bank managers are getting.

I know there is coin star but they take a chunk as "service charge"

soon I think the "public service" and doing things to help people out will be no more.

if you use the coin machines at asda/morrisons, although they charge around 7% the money is donated to local charities, which to me is a worthwhile cause

Yeah, we've used the Asda one before now and relatively speaking its not a huge chunk. A few pence to every pound and saves a load of hassle.

I used to work at Toys R Us loads of people bring in coppers to pay for stuff from their kids money boxes. We just weigh them. All big shops can weigh money. Plus its legal tender so in theory they cant refuse to take it

if you use the coin machines at asda/morrisons, although they charge around 7% the money is donated to local charities, which to me is a worthwhile cause

I belive there is a option to donate all the coins to local charities, but did not know the service charge went to them.

Copper is only 'legal tender' up to 20p, although it is down to the stores discretion.

See here.......http://www.royalmint.com/Corporate/policies/legal_tender_guidelines.aspx

Edited by nikki-red

You are right though mystery man, if its the kiddies money then every penny counts and you should be able to get it changed for free, its just the banks way of saying "we haven't got time for this so we'll make it hard" wrong really.

You are right though mystery man, if its the kiddies money then every penny counts and you should be able to get it changed for free, its just the banks way of saying "we haven't got time for this so we'll make it hard" wrong really.

quite right, I suppose they think "whats in it for us"

I first thought they would not mind it with small shop owners going in I would think they would like a few 1's for change in their tills, but obviusly not

Given the current copper price the intrinsic value of the pre-1992 1p and 2p coins is 2p and 4p respectively. I'd save those ones

I'd be willing to offer £1 for £1 change..

HSBC and a few others do already though in Sheffield centre.

How very dare you! Accept your dirty, worthless coppers! Who do you think you are? What gives you the right? Do you own the banks, or something!!!

No wonder they're thinking of taking their toys and leaving the country!

- pity they didn't sling their hook before our government gave them all our money.:roll:

Get some coin bags, fill them and take them to the bank.

But before you trade in the 1p coins, consider whether you might need them?

Phosphor bronze washers that size cost rather more than one penny each.

A bench drill will drill a hole through a stack of pennies in a few seconds.