Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi can you refresh my memory two things I cannot remember it is age it must be .heaven and hell two rooms down stairs  room up stairs coffee in late 59 they opened room where you could get hot dogs and I think you could get coffee but not sure door in the side on to arcade did that stop open till mambo closed  I do not forget much but I have forgot that 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Slinny said:

Hi can you refresh my memory two things I cannot remember it is age it must be .heaven and hell two rooms down stairs  room up stairs coffee in late 59 they opened room where you could get hot dogs and I think you could get coffee but not sure door in the side on to arcade did that stop open till mambo closed  I do not forget much but I have forgot that 

It's the dim and distant past to me as well ! but here goes - coming down the stairs you entered a cellar decorated as Hell, further to the left was another cellar with brighter lighting, done out as Heaven. I think they copied this from the 2ii's coffe bar in London (been in there a few times)  A few years later, they opened a third cellar to the right, quite plainly decorated and with a pintable (maybe more than one)  You are quite right about the new  room selling hot dogs etc. and very tasty they were as I recall, there was a doorway to the Cambridge Arcade.  Don't know if it stayed open until the Mambo closed as by then I had drifted away from the scene and my memory is a bit patchy. Regards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry I never saw third room down stairs in mambo  ,I have asked around my old mates and none of them could remember it  I  don,t know where they could have put it , I went in from 1956 till it closed  used to drink in red lion where ted. baker owner drank 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/11/2021 at 16:48, Slinny said:

Sorry I never saw third room down stairs in mambo  ,I have asked around my old mates and none of them could remember it  I  don,t know where they could have put it , I went in from 1956 till it closed  used to drink in red lion where ted. baker owner drank 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Slinny said:

 

Ted Baker eh, I remember him Slinny , He was a Sheffield property owner , terrace houses , flats to rent and so on , A painter pal of mine told me a story about him , Ted asked this painter if he wanted a free holiday in Spain , all my pal had to do was emulsion the place for him while there .

So  Ted picked him up and took him to East Midland air port . 

My mate was getting his bag out out of Teds car boot Ted  then plonked three gallon tins of white emulsion down in front of him and said "tha will need these " My pal said he would get the stuff in Spain  , But Ted said " no chance it costs a fortune or there" and Barry the painter must be the only man who has flown to Spain with three tins of Dulux in the locker .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cuttsie said:

Ted Baker eh, I remember him Slinny , He was a Sheffield property owner , terrace houses , flats to rent and so on , A painter pal of mine told me a story about him , Ted asked this painter if he wanted a free holiday in Spain , all my pal had to do was emulsion the place for him while there .

So  Ted picked him up and took him to East Midland air port . 

My mate was getting his bag out out of Teds car boot Ted  then plonked three gallon tins of white emulsion down in front of him and said "tha will need these " My pal said he would get the stuff in Spain  , But Ted said " no chance it costs a fortune or there" and Barry the painter must be the only man who has flown to Spain with three tins of Dulux in the locker .

He were a bit of a lad owd Ted, comes flying into our workshop  and says what are the biggest window frames you've got spare, comes back Monday morning and says, Ted Baker 1 Sheffield Council 0, he'd taken a full gable end down that the council had put a demolition order on and rebuilt it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Does tha remember the painter P

Can't say as I do but Ted had a hand in a paint business on Ball Bridge among other things, he once brought some timber for a job he wanted doing, stuck out the top of his Merc sunroof, he'd got concrete stuck to the side of his car and gets a piece of the timber and starts scraping it off, it was a brand new Merc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/12/2021 at 15:50, Slinny said:

 

Hi just a word about the mambo . Some of the lads who went in did very well for themselves I could name about 10. None of them went to grammar schools .   Ps a guy called Gary who had chip shops once told me he was part owner in mambo never checked it out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The other big hang out was the Zodiac on Park Hill , Pat and Mick Moore , Georgie Crapper and a few more of the Town lads and lasses used it .

 

George Crapper became a local pub landlord on the Parkhill in later life , A good bloke George .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi George guy behind counter was guy  called Charlie in zodiac when I worked  in market I went in down stairs . I saw a guy of wood Thorpe  get taken out in handcuffs he was on run from army. You know him and his brothers . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Woodthorpe ????? Mick Doyle , Tony Fogonie, Brian Mitchel and a few more .

Our Allen often got picked up by red caps , he could never remember to go back to army when on leave . 

I remember them raiding our house int middle of night , they missed him though , mi mam told em to look up chimney .

 

 

Edited by cuttsie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.