I spent a lot of happy hours in that place. All dressed up, drain pipe trousers, drape coat, black sued beatle crushers and D A hair cut. :thumbsup:

Me too, Peterdo. Well remember Murph - mentioned earlier- who also used to go in the Disc Jockey and Albion on London Rd. We were in the El Mambo one night when Jim Dale came in and gave us a free mini-concert as he was appearing at the Empire next door (must have been his break) including his hit: 'Be my Girl', I think. Dressed like yourself we would buy 'joysticks' from a little shop opposite, they were like an ordinary cig but about three times as long - and by the way contained only tobacco. I think it was 9d for a seat in the Empire 'gods' then- happy days indeed.

I had forgotten all about the Disc Jockey, though can't think why as I spent as great deal of time in there. I also paid a visit to El Mambo, the two rooms downstairs were called " Heaven and Hell". Anyone remember Thursday nights at the Locarno ? Oh happy days !!!!!!!!

Just found this thread and the memories have come flooding back.

I was also 16 in 1958 {Joanie post 10] and started using the Mambo around that time.

I remember a bloke called Terry Allcock who used to take all comers on the pin ball machine he used to take £££££££ of Ralph Goodman Barney's son.

I also remember the windows going in on more than one occasion but nothing to do with drugs [never knew any one who took them] just some hard men showing off.

My uncle Maurice was the musical director at the Empire and would call in for a coffee [[upstairs only].

Some of the characters I remember Bomber, [Mick Bond], Slants, [Malcolm Sargent] Bradders, [Jimmy Bradshaw] Slinney, [Graham Slinn]. Martin Pass, Joe Hancock, Charley Hill, Rodney Goodison.

The lasses [all gorgeous] Ann Jackson , Ilene Jackson.[sisters] Glynis Dean, Mandy Lorenz?] Avril Coates, also . Gaslamp [never knew her real name].

And then that were those that were neither one or the other. . Shirley , Doreen, and Len.

All this mob also used the Milton Pub on Milton Street [all under age] where the landlord and landlady adopted us all and kept an eye on us better than any social worker.

The Palace Union Street was also our hang out and that back row saw some action at one time and another.

Edited by cuttsie
to much info

Just found this thread and the memories have come flooding back.

I was also 16 in 1958 {Joanie post 10] and started using the Mambo around that time.

I remember a bloke called Terry Allcock who used to take all comers on the pin ball machine he used to take £££££££ of Ralph Goodman Barney's son.

I also remember the windows going in on more than one occasion but nothing to do with drugs [never knew any one who took them] just some hard men showing off.

My uncle Maurice was the musical director at the Empire and would call in for a coffee [[upstairs only].

Some of the characters I remember Bomber, [Mick Bond], Slants, [Malcolm Sargent] Bradders, [Jimmy Bradshaw] Slinney, [Graham Slinn]. Martin Pass, Joe Hancock, Charley Hill, Rodney Goodison.

The lasses [all gorgeous] Ann Jackson , Ilene Jackson.[sisters] Glynis Dean, Mandy Lorenz?] Avril Coates, also . Gaslamp [never knew her real name].

And then that were those that were neither one or the other. . Shirley , Doreen, and Len.

All this mob also used the Milton Pub on Milton Street [all under age] where the landlord and landlady adopted us all and kept an eye on us better than any social worker.

The Palace Union Street was also our hang out and that back row saw some action at one time and another.

I remember Shirley and Doreen dint they knock around with Tony Whyte .

I remember Shirley and Doreen dint they knock around with Tony Whyte .

That's the same pair and they were pals of Tony White.

They also worked the bar in the Travelers Pub on the Moor and the Red Lion on Holly Street.

Does anyone remember the El Mambo Club/Coffee bar on Union St in the 60s, Dodgy place that! I remember as a teenager going down to look at all the characters who frequented it but we did`nt dare go in, then somebody blew the front out and it never reopened, drugs I think.

Nah, I can't see drugs blowing the front out :hihi::hihi:

I think the heaviest drugs in there were reefers but there were some good looking girls in there.Didnt Brendon Ellwood own it at one time?

Marsdens milk bar was opposite the Peace gardens, it was called "The Teenage Tavern", it must have been one of the first places teenagers could go buy a drink and listen to records, lots of romances started there to lol. it took me months to have the guts to walk in, although I eventually did.I remember the twins Pat & Mick Moore I thing they came from the Wybourn, they seemed very tough in those days, don't know what happened to them though....

Marsdens milk bar was opposite the Peace gardens, it was called "The Teenage Tavern", it must have been one of the first places teenagers could go buy a drink and listen to records, lots of romances started there to lol. it took me months to have the guts to walk in, although I eventually did.I remember the twins Pat & Mick Moore I thing they came from the Wybourn, they seemed very tough in those days, don't know what happened to them though....

Pat and Mick :) Yes they lived on the Wybourn Sheffields own little Caesar's.

[A film starring Edward G Robinson]

They also used the Zodiac cafe at Parkhill.

---------- Post added 24-11-2013 at 12:56 ----------

I think the heaviest drugs in there were reefers but there were some good looking girls in there.Didnt Brendon Ellwood own it at one time?

All the girls wore snappy dresses , none of the trouser and big arse blacklegs you see walking around town now.

Proper dresses and two piece costumes along with beehives and nylons

Was this establishment opposite the Union St Picture Palace? That would be just to the left of the exit of the arcade. I could swear there was a coffee bar somewhere there before the mid 50's, with a juke box. I remember going in with another guy and watching some girls 'hand jiving'. That is sat down and waving the hands about like they had some form of physical disease like palsy. It unnerved me so much I never went in again.

'Trouser and big arsed blacklegs', you certainly paint a good picture, cuttsie.

Was this establishment opposite the Union St Picture Palace? That would be just to the left of the exit of the arcade. I could swear there was a coffee bar somewhere there before the mid 50's, with a juke box. I remember going in with another guy and watching some girls 'hand jiving'. That is sat down and waving the hands about like they had some form of physical disease like palsy. It unnerved me so much I never went in again.

Well Texas I think if we are being honest the ladies in the late fifty's and through the sixty's knew how to dress.

On a night out in town they would turn out like film stars ,the frocks,suits and coats that were worn along with the high heels and stockings made a bloke proud to be seen out and about with a lass dressed to kill;)

When I look around Town today it is not very often I see a head turner you know a lass with the wow! factor and if I do it usually some one who has dressed as from an earlier era probably after a raid on an upmarket retro shop.

On reflection today's lasses think that tight jeans tucked into the slovenly Ugg boots topped of with a kagool are the height of fashion ,and then we come to the bloody awfull blacklegs.

Back to the Mambo.

Pat and Mick :) Yes they lived on the Wybourn Sheffields own little Caesar's.

[A film starring Edward G Robinson]

They also used the Zodiac cafe at Parkhill.

---------- Post added 24-11-2013 at 12:56 ----------

All the girls wore snappy dresses , none of the trouser and big arse blacklegs you see walking around town now.

Proper dresses and two piece costumes along with beehives and nylons

Dead right there cuttsie but these days instead of drooling at them we can laugh at them.The girls looked like girls then and not circus acts.

---------- Post added 25-11-2013 at 10:23 ----------

Are you thinking of Stewarts cafe up union st just above the pictures