No, bullerboy, it was definitely on the left hand side going up Union St. The arcade would've been Cambridge Arcade, running from Cambridge St to Union St, and if you walked down the Arcade toward Union it was just up a bit to your left on reaching Union. It wasn't anything special, just one long room at street level, tables with seats up both sides, coffee and biscuits. It was opened about the same time as Tommy Steele was popular and plying his trade in the 'Two Eyes' in Soho. But you got chicks in there and I was a chaser. And they were worth chasing then, best looking birds in the country bar none, and smart with it.

I married one.

The only one I remember there was the Mambo. Does any of you remember Gabrials Gents hairdressers opposite the Redfyre works a t the end of union st,you had to make an appointment,a funny little man.

Edited by bullerboY

The only one I remember there was the Mambo. Does any of you remember Gabrials Gents hairdressers opposite the Redfyre works a t the end of union st,you had to make an appointment,a funny little man.

I don,t remember that barber, mind you I always used Taylor's on Surrey Street and have had my mullet cut by three generations of the Taylor family.

There was also a gents tailor on Union Street Called Leivy's the tailors name was Fred Lovett it was next door to the Army and Navy stores.

I don,t remember that barber, mind you I always used Taylor's on Surrey Street and have had my mullet cut by three generations of the Taylor family.

I think it was Taylor Jnr that took over Fantham's from Steve and ruined the barber shop ambience by doing it out like a night club closet.

I think it was Taylor Jnr that took over Fantham's from Steve and ruined the barber shop ambience by doing it out like a night club closet.

It was Taylor jnr, jnr, Jim.

Hi used mambo since October 56 my mates dad used to go in to meet work mates upstairs on Saturday mornings they were painters vi n Howard jack boyes they painters marsdens property then we went for hair cut to McDonald’s Cambridge street we were then young teddy boys   We then started going in on our own down stairs with a coffee in heaven and hell people going in early 57 were Harry parfait tony mcgrail derick Myer Ralph goodman murff  Ron wetherhall  billy fidler ray foster guy who sang outside pictures nick name bing a lady of the road black beauty spot loads of make up Dennis Hobson now and again  58 Harold priestly Martin pass  Gerald Mulan brain Hemel  joe Hancock I used to go in instead of going to school  late 58 we used to see mick Crich who lived in old nelson   Ps great place had great times 

24 minutes ago, Slinny said:

Hi used mambo since October 56 my mates dad used to go in to meet work mates upstairs on Saturday mornings they were painters vi n Howard jack boyes they painters marsdens property then we went for hair cut to McDonald’s Cambridge street we were then young teddy boys   We then started going in on our own down stairs with a coffee in heaven and hell people going in early 57 were Harry parfait tony mcgrail derick Myer Ralph goodman murff  Ron wetherhall  billy fidler ray foster guy who sang outside pictures nick name bing a lady of the road black beauty spot loads of make up Dennis Hobson now and again  58 Harold priestly Martin pass  Gerald Mulan brain Hemel  joe Hancock I used to go in instead of going to school  late 58 we used to see mick Crich who lived in old nelson   Ps great place had great times 

I know who this is , Its my oldest still living pal Slinny , A legend on building sites and around Town , welcome to the forum G .

Some on here have been asking about you .

1 hour ago, Slinny said:

Scotch Gerald, there’s a name from the past, I recall receiving a friendly warning not to upset him, I replied that it would be difficult as I couldn’t understand a word that he said.

Just remembered (hence edit), I used to see Gerald and Dennis in the Grey Horse, Attercliffe on a mid to late Sunday afternoon, this was when pubs closed at 2:00 pm and re-opened at 7:00 pm.

Edited by crookesey

Hi skin again I never paid to go in heaven or hell in the mambo I never r saw any bother in there when I was 15 I started work in the fish market that’s where I got to know a lot of the older guys names in the mambo around Jones tea stall in latewho  59 that’s when I first saw other guys in the mambo malcom  Sargent mick bond Charlie hill Derek Marriott arn Brian maGrayl Trevor nick name laromy  arnald bullimore Trerry Alcock  others  my mates Jimmy Bradshaw  rod goodison  and George cutts, who I carried the hod for, can anyone remember a cafe on Matilda street run by a guy called Abdul  a lot of the older mambo members went in there my,teddy boy days were great times .

3 hours ago, Slinny said:

Hi skin again I never paid to go in heaven or hell in the mambo I never r saw any bother in there when I was 15 I started work in the fish market that’s where I got to know a lot of the older guys names in the mambo around Jones tea stall in latewho  59 that’s when I first saw other guys in the mambo malcom  Sargent mick bond Charlie hill Derek Marriott arn Brian maGrayl Trevor nick name laromy  arnald bullimore Trerry Alcock  others  my mates Jimmy Bradshaw  rod goodison  and George cutts, who I carried the hod for, can anyone remember a cafe on Matilda street run by a guy called Abdul  a lot of the older mambo members went in there my,teddy boy days were great times .

One of Sheffields best hod carriers Slinny ,   I know all the people you mention , some no longer around .

The lasses in the mambo where all very smartly dressed , I remember Carol Hancock , Ann  and Eileen Jackson , Sandra ??? who was courting Pete Ansell or Anson . Also gas lamp a 6ft tall lass who I once took out , she used to kiss me ont top of mi head for a laugh . 

The mambo had a bad reputation but it was unfounded as it was a mix of all nationalities in the early sixties who all got on together . Well most of the time any way .

Ralph Goodman who's dad owned Barney Goodmans tailors two doors up from the Mambo used to lose a fortune on the pin ball machine in the Mambo , some one had fixed it so the story goes .