Car boot disaster

would you Ever buy eletrical items such as televisions etc from a car boot sale?

my friend was passing a car boot sale and came across a 42 inch wharfedale lcd tv all neatly packaged for £200 he promptly snapped it up without taking the vendors fone num or car reg or anything,when he got it home it was dead,i opened it up and every cable including the power supply one was cut or disconnected it was a mess.

This was a big scam and his wife went berserk as he had only gone to shop for few items.

has anyone else had any carboot disasters of this magnitude?

Whoever bought it without checking deserves all they get. I would put it down to a very expensive lesson.

Even if they had got the sellers name, address and phone number what can they do? Stuff bought at a car-boot is "bought as seen" (or not in this case).

I do the odd car-boot and it always amazes me that people want items in shop condition for a couple of quid.

Hello! It's a car-boot.

my friend was passing a car boot sale and came across a 42 inch wharfedale lcd tv all neatly packaged for £200 he promptly snapped it up without taking the vendors fone num or car reg or anything,when he got it home it was dead,i opened it up and every cable including the power supply one was cut or disconnected it was a mess.

This was a big scam and his wife went berserk as he had only gone to shop for few items.

what a <REMOVED> idiot OMGLMAO Why would any1 do that!

carboot and electrical bargain are 2 statements that should never be used in the same sentence. i cant actually believe that he didnt check the box before he bought it! im sorry but i have no sympathy because i dont know any1 that stupid or naive.:hihi:

deep down all the forumers wanted to say it although whaen some1 writes " a friend " it always means them

Edited by esme
masked swearing

what a <REMOVED> idiot OMGLMAO Why would any1 do that!

carboot and electrical bargain are 2 statements that should never be used in the same sentence. i cant actually believe that he didnt check the box before he bought it! im sorry but i have no sympathy because i dont know any1 that stupid or naive.:hihi:

deep down all the forumers wanted to say it although whaen some1 writes " a friend " it always means them

all made worse by their decision to come and announce their mistake on here :lol:

having said that I bet there would be a fair few who have done something equally daft and kept quiet about it. losing a tenner or a small amount may be forivable but £200 is ******************* :lol:

Edited by esme
masked swearing

As Delboy would say.........................Wot a plonker!

So the OP ('s friend) maybe should have been more wary,but to say they got what they deserved is a bit harsh. The "wrong 'un" in this story is still the thieving get that sold it.

So the OP ('s friend) maybe should have been more wary,but to say they got what they deserved is a bit harsh. The "wrong 'un" in this story is still the thieving get that sold it.

Quite right but but nobody with any sense would hand over £200 to a complete stranger at a car boot sale without examining it, getting car reg or phone number but then that can be made up. Most large car boot sales have someone who can test electrical goods for around 50p

I have had a car boot disaster, but as a seller.

I set off, car loaded up, at 5.00am to pick up my friend, as she was coming with me, and her stuff as well. We were going to Marsh Lane, and it was piddling it down.

we arrived and got our spot and unloaded the car. some time later my friend went to the toilet and fell down the steps and cut her leg quite badly. I couldnt get out of the very sludgy field because of all the cars, so her husband had to come and fetch her, which meant her walking half a mile up to the main road. When packing all the unsold stuff back in the car (lots of it), i forgot that the car keys were in the boot, and had packed all the stuff around it, so had to unpack it again.

I actually took less money than it cost to pay for my spot, and ended up having to take half the stuff to a charity shop, and the rest to the tip.

On top of all that, there was the cost of the petrol, and the car wash to was all the mud off the car.

NEVER AGAIN!

So good in fact that they break down when only a year (and 3 days) old! But it's good that they can turn a negative into a positive so easily.Perhaps they have a lot of practice.

TBF to the TV, given that there are a few of us in the house with different shift patterns, it's rarely off so in that respect it's almost practically been on 24/7 since it was installed. You're average usage might have seen it last a little longer that 368 days.

As for the ease of turning that negative into a positive it could also be suggested that it was an uncommon event with that model therefore they decided to take it in and repair it purely to find out why it had failed in the first place.

CBI surely thats what they are there for! wouldnt the item be cover with the sales of good act?

Why wouldnt anyone pay £200 at a car boot for anything?? was you on that bargin hunt programme or something as that is the only place you see people pay that kind of money.