Beard advice, yes.. that's beard advice

If you went to see your accountant/bank manager/lawyer etc (i.e. professional) who had previously been clean shaven and they had grown a beard what would you think?

I've had a week off and in that time have grown a semi decent beard - just thinking it would be a shame to shave it off ... but don't want to scare anyone

:-)

Unshaven makes you evil. :nono:

I watched Superman III on Ch5 earlier. That showed and proved it.

He was even shown... drinking alcohol whilst unshaven!! That's ultimate evil. The people of Metropolis were disgusted... and quite frankly, so was I.

If you went to see your accountant/bank manager/lawyer etc (i.e. professional) who had previously been clean shaven and they had grown a beard what would you think?

I've had a week off and in that time have grown a semi decent beard - just thinking it would be a shame to shave it off ... but don't want to scare anyone

:-)

proper beard--no problem. stubble just looks dirty and unclean!

proper beard--no problem. stubble just looks dirty and unclean!
At what point does stubble become classified as a proper beard?

At what point does stubble become classified as a proper beard?

I would say 10-14days depending on growth. most "celebs" with stubble just look a mess

Why the phobia, did Santa miss you one year?

:hihi:

Theres something slightly dodgy about a man(or woman) that needs to hide behind facial hair. Never ever trust a bloke with a beard (or one with scruffy shoes) and besides that, they arn't very hygienic are they? I mean bits of food and stuff can get stuck in there for days and you not realise!:gag:

Theres something slightly dodgy about a man(or woman) that needs to hide behind facial hair. Never ever trust a bloke with a beard (or one with scruffy shoes) and besides that, they arn't very hygienic are they? I mean bits of food and stuff can get stuck in there for days and you not realise!:gag:

That's whole load of nonsense. A person can still look neat in a beard, and who says that there are bits of food in beards. :loopy:

That's whole load of nonsense. A person can still look neat in a beard, and who says that there are bits of food in beards. :loopy:

I got a lighter and a beer can stuck in my beard the other day! :hihi:

Who needs pockets :D

Personally I don't like anything hirsuit (ahem) but designer stubble can look quite attractive

I would say 10-14days depending on growth.
:gag:

I've got more 'stubble' every morning than what celebs show themselves with, and a 'beard' by day 3. By 10-14 days I'd have a Santa-beater! (and yes, you guessed it, shaving is the bane of my life - twice a day if there's a function or event at night :().

Getting back to the OP, professionals shouldn't have stubble. It's untidy and IMHO goes hand-in-hand with this growing 'slacking' phenomenon (open neck shirt + no tie or, worse, 'dressy t-shirt'). It's particularly bad if you have an uneven distribution of facial hair, with areas with little or no hair: that just looks minging.

Nothing wrong with a groomed/trimmed beard, so long as you put on the full 3 pieces with waistcoat :D

Edited by L00b

A very common prejudice :)

Of course, to a large extent it's a cultural one- imagine a culture where the norm is for the men to be bearded e.g. some Islamic cultures, or, in the past, a Viking culture: there the opposite would be the case- a man with a shaved face would likely be viewed with suspicion- what's he trying to hide etc?

In a culture like that a man's beard would be seen as a natural part of his face- to shave it off could imply that he's trying to hide something about his beard that he doesn't like.

And, getting back to our culture, a prime reason why there are not more beards is because many men have previous tried to grow one, but felt embarrsed because it's not as full as they'd like, or has missing patches etc.

In those cases, the men are shaving, in part, to hide (what they see as) the inadeqaucies of their beards.

(A common mistake is to give up too early, or try to improve the apprearance by shaving particular bits off, an approach that rarely works- best advice is to grow it out for a coiple of months before dabbling with it).

Edited by onewheeldave

I got a lighter and a beer can stuck in my beard the other day! :hihi:

Who needs pockets :D

I once knew someone that had a whole family of birds nesting in there, he didn't even realise until they were ready to fly the nest! bird poo everywhere... not nice!

A beard makes you more manly. If you rock up into work with your beard, all the men will be jealous of you and feel you are threatening their manhood, all the women will be subconsciously attracted to you without understanding why... So the answer to you question depends on the sex of your boss - if it's a male he will feel threatened by your manly-ness and may sack you; if it's a female she will be drawn in by your manly-ness and may promote you. Your call bro. ;)