Fry 's chocolate spread.

it wasn't that the crusts were awful, it was just that you had to go through the crust to savor the fry's chocolate spread.

we were very poor, lived in a shack within 20 ft of the trains; so when my mum gave me chocolate spread sandwiches i felt like a princess in a beautiful house and with lovely clothes. now i live in southern california within 1/2 mile of the pacific ocean. a bit different from hackney's ellingfort road!

Bet you miss that shack though :)

gosh, i remember him; and we loved radio luxemburg. we never had a tv until 1954 so the four of us used to sit a listen to the radio every evening. a true family life; so different from my grandchildren using their ipads etc., i also remember that there was a weekly serial on the radio; i have forgotten the name but it was enthralling. oh, one more thing; my mum loved mrs. dales diary -- yuck.

Hahahaha for me and my brother our 'yuck' was Sing Something Simple on a Sunday afternoon. It followed the top twenty countdown...total contrast.

My husband won a Bits and Pieces at a Radio One Roadshow .. he was 14, the youngest ever winner. lol Emperor Rosco I think it was that was DJ'ing.

This is all very interesting but it doesn't help us get back the original recipe for Frys Chocolate spread.

This is all very interesting but it doesn't help us get back the original recipe for Frys Chocolate spread.

The theory is if we continually talk of the past it will open a temporal rift and we can go back there.

Remember these chocolate bars from the 70's?

The theory is if we continually talk of the past it will open a temporal rift and we can go back there.

Do you know for some thing's it would be brilliant, not all though :)

okay, going away from fry's chocolate spread. i live in southern california and the chocolate here is absolutely awful. i sometimes go to the british shop and get some nestle's or cadbury's but it's bloody expense, about $3.00 a bar! That's my thought for the day -- you're lucky to have really good chocolate.

Boy, do I remember it! I've no idea how many pots I got through over the years. The last time I can clearly remember eating it was sometime in 1974. I was in the army and always took in some Chocolate Spread sarnies when I was Duty Driver and would you believe that on one occasion the Guard Commander also brought some in following my example. The only trouble is that he had Chocolate Spread and Daddies Sauce sandwiches!

I might have a look for the Waitrose product and check it out.

RJRB - yes, I do remember. It was in looking to see if by the faintest chance Fry's Chocolate Spread is available via some  on-line store that I arrived at this Internet discussion. Sadly, I see it isn't available anymore. They are right, the present pretenders to chocolate spread do not compare. So much of what was available and enjoyed when we were  kids is unobtainable now, or replaced by some higher profit, lower quality, pretend product. Another lost treat of my younger days was the Lyons Maid choc ice. Hey, and whatever happened to Jennings at School and Toytown and all those wonderful BBC radio Drama Repertory Company productions? Young minds have been retuned and self-servingly reprogrammed by various species of greedy forces hiding in the shadows, it seems to me. But I'm hoping that, while wearing my expensive, high quality, wellness bracelet, no harm can come to me.    

Edited by Bodley Fludes
carelessness

Good to see that the CFRFCS (Campaign For Real Fry’s Chocolate Spread) continues and has a worldwide following.

I used to make triple decker sandwiches for supper,and can still occasionally recollect the taste.

Perhaps they could resurrect their 5 boys as well.