'Female only' Traditional Goju Ryu Karate class

As much as I hate to admit it, I do think upinwath has a point even if he has put it across in a less than diplomatic way.

However I would disagree that such classes are useless. Learning to deal with 'someone' in front of you is better than no practice at all and hopefully (speaking as a coach) as the ladies gain confidence they would join the mixed practice group.

It's less about male or female aggressor in the class situation so much as how aggressive they are that determines the value of the training. I've seen mixed classes where the men would play along with the women and fall over with minimal effort on her part, that is far worse for instilling false confidence than training with only women who are willing to fight a bit.

I am interested but the link in the op does not work.

Sorry - I didn't realise. If you type into google "SheffieldGojuRyu" you should find a website with a 'Female only classes' button just under the banner.

Cheers.

There was a women in Canada, came home and disturbed a burgular. The burgular went about smashing the women up, broke her jaw, rib, arm, as she was on the ground her 6 year old daughter who witnessed this, ran over and started hitting the guys leg, this piece of **** then grabbed the child and flung her into a wall.... after seeing this the women went ****ing ballistic, when the police arrived they had to drag her off the burgular, who by this time was bleeding from a badly damaged eye ( later lost his sight in that eye.... so women have no chance against men ?? this woman had no previous martial arts training. Seeing as this thread has gone a little mad with presumptions, I will be going down to the class and doing some pressure testing with the group.. I've done this before several times with women.. and I aint looking forward to it... I would recommend attending this class, its not like your usual stuff....

'Please quote me saying that anywhere on this or any other forum. That or sod off with your lies.'

Wow thats a bit harsh as I was only trying to 'big' you up as your blatently so awsome and know everything, won't bother in the future.

upinwath's basic point has some validity- obviously it's preferable for females to train against both genders.

But I think it's wrong to dismiss all-female classes out of hand.

It's certainly true that there are some really dire 'self-defence' classes out there, where participants are at risk of learning techniques (and attitudes) that will not only be innefective, but actually counter-productive (in that they will have a greatly increased (false) confidence in their own abilities and thus be more likely to end up in sitautions that they cannot deal with).

However, the quality of a self-defence class does not rest on the gender of it's teacher, or on whether it is mixed or women only- the quality of a class rests of the quality of the teacher: bad self-defence classes are bad because the teacher is inept (when it comes to self-defence).

As chefkicker says-

Another thing you need to remember is that a lot of women might want to train in a women only environment for cultural or religious reasons as well.

Not rubbish at all. Surely training in karate , be it women only is better than not doing it at all.

and it's not just for cultural reasons, some women do not want to be manhandled by men, possibly because of past traumatic abuse. In many cases, after learning techniques in a safe female only environment where they feel confortable, some may well feel ready to progress to a mixed class- just because a woman starts in a female only class, does not mean she will remain there forever.

Not at all - but I understand where your opinion is coming from. This isn't a half-assed class. I train with men 10 hours a week in a full contact environment where there is no gender. I've been asked to pass on knowledge to women who don't want to train amoungst men. If you are a male you are more than welcome to pop down on a Tuesday or Thursday night when it's a mixed class to have a look. If you are a women, drop down on the Monday. Thanks.

The teacher sounds like she knows what she's doing- Lotar, who teaches realistic self defence (and seems to have a good reputation) recommends her.

Additionally, there's one big advantage to the class being led by woman which hasn't been mentioned yet- male teachers may be very good at fighting- but there is a danger that they can't grasp what it is like to defend as a woman.

i.e. as someone who has to overcome the habits instilled by society of feeling weak, powerless etc: as someone who is generally a couple of stone lighter etc.

And, as someone who is not likely to be attacked in the same manner as a man.

i.e. the assumption that male attackers proceed as they would against another male, with a punch to the face- I suspect most attempts to molest/attack a female do not commence with a punch to the face.

So, straightaway, it's not good to assume that, for women, the best training consists of some kind of full-contact, kickboxing approach.

I'd argue that if the teacher is good at teaching self-defense, then, when it comes to teaching women how to look after themsleves, it is arguably a plus point if the teacher is female.

Not closed mined, more realistic.

The OP said

Women training with other women will learn sod all about how to defend themselves. I did full contact for many years and nothing prepares you for that first hit you get except the first hit.

See the point above.

But also, the fact remains that some people do not want to train in classes where they will regularly get hit hard in the face- clearly they will never be entering kickboxing competitions with an attitude like that, they will also be at a big disadvantage if the day comes when a bloke throws punches at them- but, that does not mean they can't go to a self defence class and learn some useful stuff that may, one day, save their life.

There's several accounts of women who've been taken by a man and didn't/couldn't punch there way out of it, but, at the point where he started to rape her, bit his throat out, killing him.

In those cases it's clear that self-defence is as much about at attitude as a set of techniques, and, that it's not necessarily about being able to take a punch.

edited post

Edited by Wroughton
Dodgy typing

having trained in goju for a while i believe it to be ideal for women as goju ryu is for smaller people trying to beat bigger people, i also train with women and they hold there own with the men. i think its a good idea for women only classes at a introductory level only.

What crap. All that means if they learn bugger all about what happens should they be attacked by some bloke.

Load of rubbish that should be avoided.

think this was uncalled for.. this thread was simply letting women know there is a class.... wasnt asking for such opinions!

You still haven't answered my questions and I'm on the 3rd time of asking. The techniques either work or they don't. Nothing to do with drilling them with a man or a woman. And nothing to do with emitting differing levels of Androwhatsit.

Not only that but the 8 stone man argument is entirely relevant being as it's another you can't answer.

Any chance you could answer the questions. Or do we get (as you would say) more BS?:loopy:

This is still my view.

I've not said all women classes are a waste of time. I've said they are about useless for self defence as claimed by the OP.

I'm not suggesting full contact training but suggesting no training against the most likely attacker will be useless in the even of such an attack.

Politically correct doesn't work against a rapist. The right training may save some lass a visit to a rape suite and, if we're really lucky, have the potential rapist in surgery to save his eyes/balls/whatever.

I'm all for training but not crappy training where they'll get no experience against the likely attacker.

I repeat, what about the chemical stimulus or fear factor involved when they confront a man. Its simply not the same. That makes the training crap.

I've seen it. Women that have been told they can defend but fall apart at the first mock attack. If they fail at that, how can you expect them to have the slightest chance in a real situation?

Emskies suggested my post wasn't called for.

It is to save women a false sense of safety when they're in real danger. These courses simply don't work for self defence.

I won't argue they may be good for sport, fitness or fun.

What makes you think 'the most likely attacker' is a big man who's trying to rape me?

I am far, far more likely to be attacked by a drunk woman than a male stranger.

You make a lot of assumptions in your posts.

Have you ever considered that some women may have an impression of mixed sessions as being full of pumped up men acting macho?

If women use the women only sessions to build confidence before taking part in mixed sessions then the model has worked. Plenty of people would like to take part in martial arts classes but feel it's uninviting for a number of reasons.

I'm certain the gender divide is one of them, and therefore the person running the class has made a reasonable business decision to attract new customers. After the initial classes new customers may feel more comfortable to take part in other classes.

Also, training in the techniques of self defense is ALWAYS going to be better than no training at all. Just because every woman you have pounced on has flinched it doesn't mean that all would.