'Female only' Traditional Goju Ryu Karate class

If you want to teach self defence to a small lass confronted with a big bloke, teach her the simple and nasties first.

That starts with how to make it hard for him to chase her if she can't run away without doing anything at all.

Teaching someone techniques to deal with an agressor doesn't require that the agressor be male does it?

Utter rubbish you're talkinh there I'm afraid.

How do you know she won't be teaching " nasty stuff " ?? I know she will and is very capable of doing so...... women should learn to defend themselves, especially with the weirdo's about nowadays... you are commenting on a class and instructor you never met.

Teaching someone techniques to deal with an agressor doesn't require that the agressor be male does it?

Utter rubbish you're talkinh there I'm afraid.

Of course it does.

How the hell can you expect a student with no experience of a situation to do well when tossed into it in real life?

Most would pee themselves and you know it.

You can teach all the techniques you want but, if they turn to jelly when they're in real danger, the training will be a waste of time.

They may, after training, be some good in a woman Vs. woman fight but sod all use against a big bloke. You simply can't expect them to be.

I maintain my stance. You can't claim to be teaching defence when the training totally misses out the most likely attacker.

Stuff politically correct. It just doesn't translate to some drunk attacking a lass.

Of course it does.

How the hell can you expect a student with no experience of a situation to do well when tossed into it in real life?

Most would pee themselves and you know it.

You can teach all the techniques you want but, if they turn to jelly when they're in real danger, the training will be a waste of time.

They may, after training, be some good in a woman Vs. woman fight but sod all use against a big bloke. You simply can't expect them to be.

I maintain my stance. You can't claim to be teaching defence when the training totally misses out the most likely attacker.

Stuff politically correct. It just doesn't translate to some drunk attacking a lass.

Still rubbish. If a technique is being taught how is the sex of the person teaching it in any way relevant?

How do you know she won't be teaching " nasty stuff " ?? I know she will and is very capable of doing so...... women should learn to defend themselves, especially with the weirdo's about nowadays... you are commenting on a class and instructor you never met.

I'm not arguing against that. I fully support women having such training and, in the even of a nasty, being able to drop a bloke.

It's not hard work to floor even the biggest guy if you know how but, to do that, the lass must lose her fear.

To do that, the vast majority will need experience of it in a training situation.

No men means they miss out on that training.

I don't need to see it. I've seen students in the past from all women classes. They were crap to a woman because they had no idea how to control the situation. That's because they'd never experienced man against woman attack.

That's what makes all women courses useless.

No matter how much the OP and others don't like it, it remains true.

edited post

Edited by Wroughton

I am interested but the link in the op does not work.

I know because they have been to clubs I've been at and were useless the first time they were against a man in a mock attack.

I said before, they were told there would be no physical contact or any danger but they still cowered the first time. We got then used to a man coming at them. When they stopped flinching, we started training them how to damage him long enough to run away.

That's without fancy kicks or strikes that are unlikely to be effective. Relax, do the dirty on the git and get away works far better.

You can train against all the lasses you like but it's sod all like being attacked by a bloke.

Anyone that claims different is wrong. Simple as that.

'upinwath' is obviously an 'expert' in these matters so there is no point in trying to argue with him. I suspect he is an expert in all martial arts and self defence and there is nothing he doesn't know in the art of self protection. We should be thank him for 'imparting' his years of wisdom.

As he says anybody who claims different to him is wrong simple as! with logic like that how can you fault him!

'upinwath' is obviously an 'expert' in these matters so there is no point in trying to argue with him. I suspect he is an expert in all martial arts and self defence and there is nothing he doesn't know in the art of self protection. We should be thank him for 'imparting' his years of wisdom.

As he says anybody who claims different to him is wrong simple as! with logic like that how can you fault him!

Please quote me saying that anywhere on this or any other forum. That or sod off with your lies.

I know in this case because I've seen it and seen how badly it works so many times. Essentially, women only classes for self defence are crap because they give no training in how to defend against the most likely attacker.

That goes for anything. You can't expect a student of anything to manage a lot without training in that subject.

That's not a subject with similarities but that specific subject.

That's what we are being asked to believe. A woman can defend against a man when only trained against a woman. It's just not the same.

edited post

Edited by Wroughton

It is hard to recreate the conditions of a real attack but you can do a far better job with more realistic conditions.

Are you saying a woman can replace a man in a simulated attack?

Is there any argument against my suggestion that a woman is most likely to be attacked by a man?

A woman would be much less intimidated by a simulation using a woman in the attack role. It's simply not realistic. An aggressive man emits a far greater quantity of Androstenone than any woman and that has a major effect on the situation before you even consider the physical difference.

PS - That 8 stone man line was a pile of BS. Not even close to an argument.