'Female only' Traditional Goju Ryu Karate class

Female only class with female instructor, follows exactly the same curriculum and standards of our mixed class but offers ladies the opportunity to learn and develop in a less daunting environment.

Goju Ryu is not competition based, it is a practical defence art. By training in Goju Ryu you can gain many positive attributes such as the ability to defend yourself, strength and fitness/health.

Female students are more than welcome to train in the mixed classes on other nights. Check out the website to learn more http://www.sheffieldgojuryu.co.uk/ladies ;)

a less daunting environment

What crap. All that means if they learn bugger all about what happens should they be attacked by some bloke.

Load of rubbish that should be avoided.

What crap. All that means if they learn bugger all about what happens should they be attacked by some bloke.

Not at all - but I understand where your opinion is coming from. This isn't a half-assed class. I train with men 10 hours a week in a full contact environment where there is no gender. I've been asked to pass on knowledge to women who don't want to train amoungst men. If you are a male you are more than welcome to pop down on a Tuesday or Thursday night when it's a mixed class to have a look. If you are a women, drop down on the Monday. Thanks.

edited post

Edited by Wroughton

Another thing you need to remember is that a lot of women might want to train in a women only environment for cultural or religious reasons as well.

Not rubbish at all. Surely training in karate , be it women only is better than not doing it at all.

It's a shame you are so close-minded.

Not closed mined, more realistic.

The OP said

By training in Goju Ryu you can gain many positive attributes such as the ability to defend yourself

Women training with other women will learn sod all about how to defend themselves. I did full contact for many years and nothing prepares you for that first hit you get except the first hit.

They train to a pretend black belt but get raped by the first git who punches them in the nose because they've never experienced what it's like to be confronted by a man.

I'm not saying they should experience full contact but, to learn the qualities needed to defend, they have to have experienced the threat.

Sod all chance of that in a women only class.

I used to help with free self defence classes for women. We used to warn them of exactly what we were going to do, then do it.

Even though they knew there was no danger and there would be no contact at all, every one would duck and be in a submissive pose the first time.

All we did was approach aggressively and shout. That's the problem with single gender classes. They simply don't work in the real world.

If defence is a selling point as the OP claims, it's a crap one because it won't work.

Another thing you need to remember is that a lot of women might want to train in a women only environment for cultural or religious reasons as well.

Not rubbish at all. Surely training in karate , be it women only is better than not doing it at all.

I can see how culture or religion may restrict a lady's ability to train in a mixed class. That much is fair comment but we both know, if it comes to a fight, that training will be about useless.

How many students have you seen back off the first time they try full contact.

It's usually a shock to them unless they've experienced a few cracks in training.

Same goes for this. Never experienced what it's like to be confronted by an aggressive man, the vast majority will forget the training and lose the confrontation big style.

In fact, I'd venture to suggest the training may be worse than not doing it at all. A false sense of confidence that melts when the crunch comes may get them into a far worse scrape than no training at all.

If it's for fitness or fun, it's fine, but to claim self defence is bull.

edited post

Edited by Wroughton

This class will be very good, trust me on that one upinwath.... its no use commenting on something you have not seen ...

I think that a female only class is a good idea it will act as a gate way into martial arts for woman who are put off training with men but I do think it wise that as soon as they gain the confidence/skills they should train in mixed classes as well. Anyway good luck

This class will be very good, trust me on that one upinwath.... its no use commenting on something you have not seen ...

Rubbish.

For fitness or fun, I'll agree.

For self defence, forget it. It's a total waste of time and is likely to get the students into more trouble than if they did nothing.

Seen such classes before and none have been any good. Easy as that. You don't give the students experience of a threatening male and the vast majority will simply fall to pieces the fist time they get attacked for real.

Add to that, most of these things teach fancy kicks and strikes that take years to be effective. I can't comment on this class but most seem to.

Again, for sport/fun, OK but forget defence.

If you want to teach self defence to a small lass confronted with a big bloke, teach her the simple and nasties first.

That starts with how to make it hard for him to chase her if she can't run away without doing anything at all.

Women training with other women will learn sod all about how to defend themselves.

What a bizarre thing to say.