Starting a business in cleaning?

now that my children are at school, im hoping to start a cleaning business.. 7 days a week if possible.. i have worked at Northern General Hospital and other cleaning companies, i really need this to work out so if anyone with info to help me, would be brilliant

many thanks

A very competitive business to go into...easy to set up; but so it is for everyone else too.

Without wanting to be obvious, you need to find customers, which means marketing your company.

you will need to:

1. Get a website sorted

2. Get you Search Engine Optimisation sorted

3. Get flyers done

4. Spend hours knocking on company doors offering your services (as well as finding out what your competitors are charging/offering etc); make sure you contact student landlords, they're always having to get cleaning done in their properties

Running your own business is hard work and needs 100% commitment, but worth the effort (or at least trying).

Have you thought about the challenge you will have regarding your children; most professional cleaning jobs are done after hours which is when your children will be at home.

The best of luck to you in your venture.

I wouldn't make a website and SEO top of my list unless you have plenty of start up money available. SEO takes time so you wont appear for the best keywords in a hurry, so concentrate on the other things stsve suggest like flyers and door-knocking. Also put ads/flyers up in local shops and post offices who will let you (they dont all allow it).

If you have enough money but not loads, just get a nice wordpress website up - they can be done for a low cost whilst not looking homespun and unprofessional like a lot do. Then get it listed in Google Places (Maps).

Also you can list in in some free online directories but we warned, the likes of touch local, thomson and yell will call you up to 'verify' your listing...fine....but will try and flog you an upgrade. Just tell them you will see if the free listing performs and if you get enquiries through that, you'll know its worth the next upgrade and will contact them. If they nag you, just be blunt with them and ask what part of the word no dont they understand, and they will back off. You do have to be blunt to most of these telesales folk unfortunately.

Here is a list of some free business directories - I would highly recommend listing in Freeindex (link is on that page) as its always free, and doesn't have paid upgrades. You rise in the listings by getting testimonials added by your customers.

The point steve raises about time is also very valid - for commercial, you cannot clean offices and other work places during the day when your kids are at school, it has to be done either early morning before 8am or twilight ie after 5/6pm or weekends. Commercial cleaning is rarely suited to working around your kids however if you stick to domestic cleaning during school hours then that's your best bet. Peopledo want their houses cleaned whilst they are out at work.

Also, you wil need public liability insurance as a minimum to cover you.

Make sure your electrical equipment if you take your own, eg hoover, is PAT tested, check about the use of cleaning fluids at individuals houses. ie what is safe to use on what. You need to know what you can use on differnet types of surfaces.

Work out your overheads based on if you are using their cleaning materials or your own, it may differ for each customer. Include your travel time from place to place, especially since fuel is now £6 a gallon, plus your own time going back and forth.

If you are a keyholder you will need somewhere safe at home (like a safe) to store such keys. Not one of those small ones either....our burglar stole one of those type from my sons bedroom which had jewellery and passport in it. Also do not identify those keys to their property in an obvious way, so if you lose them or they got stolen someow, they dont have the owners address or other identifiable details on them. A bit obvious I know, but when you might have 10 or 20 sets of keys or more, you will need to know which is which without them being marked up like that. Can't think of anything at this moment. But good luck and keep us posted on how your business is growing.

Edited by indizine

Do not forget that time is limited and needs to include some spent on organising/selling the business as well as on cleaning. The crunch may be whether you can charge a rate for the hours you have available for actual cleaning that will make the whole thing worthwhile. Of course you can hire staff to help but I have known businesses in cleaning that got into trouble by 1) Using casual labour without any PAYE records, and

2) Losing sight of overheads.

I am not suggesting the idea can't work, simply that it needs to be thought out. Good luck.

If it`s personal House Cleaning then just get some flyers printed and put them in the post office windows you will get between £7-£10 per hour doing a private clean.

My wife currently does private cleaning for a company from this forum, they do all the leg work and get you the clients you you get £7.00 per hour and if your willing to work a 8hr+ day x that by 7 it`s not a bad living, hardwork but very rewarding and you can get all your cleaning solutions from likes of pound land and B&M so the startup costs are low and if you have a small car which you will need to make it cost effective then you will be sorted.

If you are wanting to get some jobs cleaning just look on this forum, theres a guy called Barry runs his own cleaning business and he gets you the clients, if you want his telephone number if you cannot find it on here just PM me and ill give you his number.

Thank you all for your advice I REALLY DO APPRICIATE IT !!!

Hello Raynor,

I just set up my own business in november so have a few non-babbling tips for you:

1. Set a page up on facebook, its completely free and get all your friends to like it and spread the word. Word of mouth is a fantastic thing.

2. Get some posters up in your local post offices (there is one on sharrow vale road that gets lots of people walking past), it usually only costs £1 a week to put a poster up in them

3. Add a signature to your SF profile

4. Visit Business Link They run lots of free courses for people setting up their own business which is SO helpful. Courses about accounting, taxes, setting up, being self employed etc... Theres also loads of articles and helpful links on there too. I've been to a few of the courses and its a great way to network and hand out your business cards.

5. Get a good logo and business cards. Hand your business cards out everywhere! Leave them on pub/cafe tables and give them to everyone you meet. If you ever need a logo/business card designing drop me an email ([email protected]) as I'm sure I can help :)

6. If you're budget stretches to it, get a website up!

7. Invest in a good accountant. They are massively helpful in all aspects of setting up a business, even with things you wouldn't have even thought of.

Good luck!!

Becky x

Don't forget you will need insurance for anything you break.

We have had cleaners in the past who were great to start off with but after 12 months their standards drop, corners are cut, they get bored of doing the same routine and eventually they leave. Remember to be consistent; is today's clean as good as the day you started and wanted to impress.

now that my children are at school, im hoping to start a cleaning business.. 7 days a week if possible.. i have worked at Northern General Hospital and other cleaning companies, i really need this to work out so if anyone with info to help me, would be brilliant

many thanks

Hello Raynor,

The fact the you are looking to set up a business in an industry that you have previous experience is brilliant. It means that you know what to expect on a day-to-day basis and what it's like and what it takes to do the job. Will you be looking to work in peoples homes or are you interested in taking on commercial contracts like offices for example?

7 days a week worth of work means that before to long you will need to be taking on staff - I work for a business insurer and the main cover you will need is public liability insurance which protects you if you cause damage to someone property. If you employ people you will need to have employers liability.

If you have any questions or queries regarding business insurance please feel free to send me a message.

Kind Regards

Tim

Simply Business

Hello Raynor,

4. Visit Business Link They run lots of free courses for people setting up their own business which is SO helpful. Courses about accounting, taxes, setting up, being self employed etc... Theres also loads of articles and helpful links on there too. I've been to a few of the courses and its a great way to network and hand out your business cards.

Forget Business Link; they're on their way out. All the best people have either left or are in the process of leaving (I know, they've all been in touch asking for references!).

All the advice you need has been posted here...from some of us in business and those working in your sector...the very best of luck to you if you go ahead.