Help needed with laptop

hi i have a dell laptop which i am selling but i need to set it back to original settings so all my files /data etc are erased thing is i dont know how to do this i have looked but i havent got a clue any help would be grateful thanks

It will hopefully have a hard drive based recovery partition, to access this, start tappin F8 immediately after turning the laptop on, untill you reach Advanced boot options, then choose repair my computer...wait for it to load, select united kingdom from the first list, then at the next box log in, then you should be presented with some recovery tools...the bottom one being Dell factory image restore, click that and then its a case of clicking next a few times and roberts your mothers brother ;)

Edited by sidbobs

Whats the model of the laptop? Do you get the 'Repair my computer' option?

no i dont get that its a dell latitude d600

no i dont get that its a dell latitude d600

Try tapping CTRL and F11 on boot.

try this on boot up keep tapping CTRL+ F11

Oh see you done that

hi i have a dell laptop which i am selling but i need to set it back to original settings so all my files /data etc are erased thing is i dont know how to do this i have looked but i havent got a clue any help would be grateful thanks

What OS are you using XP?

I think it's just F11 not Ctrl + F11 but make sure that as soon as the laptop turns off and comes back on again, you have to keep tapping none stop until you get into the recovery mode, when you first got your laptop you should have been supplied recovery disks or advised to create these when you first turned the laptop on.

If you have these then pop it in the cd/dvd drive and follow the instructions.

You may need to go into the BIOS and mahe sure the system boot up order goes to the CD/DVD drive in the first instance.

Hope this helps

u probs need to formatt it with wipe drive if ur selling it. so no one can get ur info back..then just put a system back on

your best of just reinstalling xp as i dont think that model came with the recovery partition as it is quite a few years old now. has it still got licence key label on bottom of laptop? and do you still have disk? if you do you might have to check which service pack it is as it can be a complete nightmare installing all service packs and updates if it is sp1