Banned words.......how many are there?

Originally posted by Cyclone

we aren't talking about all their other t-shirts. Just this one and the story from the metro.

My post was in response to your own and in your post, you were talking mainly about an individuals' right to express a valid opinion.

If you've done as I suggested, you'll have realised that the t-shirt in question, along with most of the others on sale there, is designed purely to shock, offend, irritate and annoy people.

I wonder what religion it was inciting hatred to?

as Jesus is an important figure in Islam as well, dont know about the Jewish faith.

And about the Islam mocking films, there is an Iranian film called the Lizard which didnt even mock the religion but was a sought of nuns on the run, it was banned??

I seem to have opened a can of worms here that I did not wish to. My first point was that I felt wearing a t-shirt that was designed to offend was wholefully unnecessary. My second point of contention is that I understand that an individual has a free right to express an opinion [as made by Cyclone] but that the individual should also exercise a degree of sensitivity in labouring whatever point that may be. Whether in work, school or at home we all face situations everyday where a mixture of sensitivity, tolerance and common sense should be employed. The CoF t-shirts [though probably just a marketing gimmick designed to 'appeal' to 'angry' teens] exercise no sensitivity to the feelings of Christians, no degree of tolerance towards the Christian faith and absolutely no common sense in that it will stir up ill-feeling.

I feel there are opinions that should be shared and there are opinions that should not be shared. Adults exercise common sense and manners in deducing which should be shared and which should not. To those who would argue that teenagers buying these t-shirts are merely expressing a viewpoint I would pose the question - if this is true why did they not then write it on a t-shirt themselves? The idea for such a flammable phrase was not their own - therefore it is fair to draw the conclusion that it was not their opinion to be shared. It was merely another example of insensitivity and idiocy pushed forward by those who should be in a position to know better.

I'll concede that perhaps my link between it being a crime under Incitement to Religious Hatred was incorrect but as I pointed out above my point was far more to do with how I felt it was completely unacceptable. There may be those out there who applaud such 'in your face' and 'outrageous, bold' statements but you should know that what CoF have done isn't big and it isn't clever. Even as someone who isn't that religious common sense dictates that as an adult I should know better.

Originally posted by JonJParr

I'll concede that perhaps my link between it being a crime under Incitement to Religious Hatred was incorrect [/b]

Sorry to labour the point, but it's not 'perhaps'; the proposed legislation is NOT law and thus you are in error.

Just crossing 'i's and dotting 't's...hang on a minute...

Originally posted by withnail

Sorry to labour the point, but it's not 'perhaps'; the proposed legislation is NOT law and thus you are in error.

Just crossing 'i's and dotting 't's...hang on a minute...

Seeing as you wish for things to be crystal clear I shall point out yet again that I have conceded my point about Incitement to Religious Hatred was incorrect. Would you like me to bold and underline it?

CoF are of course a commercial entity and will do whatever is within the bounds of the law that makes them money.

Appealing to their common sense isn't likely to achieve very much.

There are laws regarding common decency though, I'm not sure if offensive words on personal property would be in breach of them.

CoF are of course a commercial entity and will do whatever is within the bounds of the law that makes them money.

Appealing to their common sense isn't likely to achieve very much.

Yep, I agree with you... makes a nice change, eh? ;)

Appealing to something that this outfit evidently doesn't posess, i.e. common-sense, the lack of it exemplified by one of the more repeatable slogans that they offer, "Dead Girls Don't Say No"... Would doubtless be a waste of time & effort...

It's slightly disturbing that there are dopes out there that think this kind of trash is 'cool' though! ... But hopefully, given time (And maybe a hefty fine if seen by the Fashion-Police, wearing this garbage in public :D) most of them will grow up and grow out of it...

"dead girls dont say no", thats brilliant!!!

might have to buy that tshirt myself.

You miss the point, this stuff winds up stuffy old grumps like yourself, and younger people know and play on that.

Do you think they care what you think? of course they dont. The question is who is to blame? You have to blame the older generations for not bringing their kids up correctly.

And you will find the group have a lot of common sense, they are sitting on a marketing goldmine and the fact they have made the press and have people bitching about them on forums will just increase their standing amonget potential fans.

Originally posted by liamfh

...You miss the point, this stuff winds up stuffy old grumps like yourself, and younger people know and play on that.

Do you think they care what you think? of course they dont. The question is who is to blame? You have to blame the older generations for not bringing their kids up correctly.

And you will find the group have a lot of common sense, they are sitting on a marketing goldmine and the fact they have made the press and have people bitching about them on forums will just increase their standing amonget potential fans.

Winds up stuffy old grumps like myself? Believe me, sunshine, it takes a great deal more than some ignorant kid wearing a t-shirt with an offensive mesage on it to wind me up...

That some reprehensible outfit should profit from exploiting their ignorance, does irritate me slightly though...

Originally posted by Pseudonym

Winds up stuffy old grumps like myself? Believe me, sunshine, it takes a great deal more than some ignorant kid wearing a t-shirt with an offensive mesage on it to wind me up...

That some reprehensible outfit should profit from exploiting their ignorance, does irritate me slightly though...

are they being exploited? and is it ignorance, or is rebilliousness that's being exploited if anything is?

after all, we all have to wear t-shirts, do we consider it exploitation by gap or wherever you prefer to buy them?

are they being exploited? and is it ignorance, or is rebilliousness that's being exploited if anything is?

after all, we all have to wear t-shirts, do we consider it exploitation by gap or wherever you prefer to buy them?

Just remembering the line from The Clash's 'White man in Hammersmith Palais' about 'turning rebellion in to money'. :)

Joe

Certainly they're being exploited, 'ignorance' was a catch-all word to cover the fact that they're exploited in numerous ways, until most of them 'wise-up' to the fact.

Teenagers have massive spending-power and the market is well aware of this, hence they are made to feel important and catered for possibly more than any other single age-group... And being relatively gullible, they're easily parted fom their money... ;)