Banned words.......how many are there?

Originally posted by JonJParr

Perhaps they should devise another 'filthy' t-shirt that insults Allah and we'll see if the Islamic community find it acceptable.

Aye but look what happened to Burger King for their faux pas :rolleyes:

'Par for the course' would suggest that the antics that this band engage in are acceptable. I happen to think that they're quite unacceptable. Perhaps they should devise another 'filthy' t-shirt that insults Allah and we'll see if the Islamic community find it acceptable. If in fact it is par for the course then I'm sure we won't witness a fatwa being issued.

On a different but related note I do have my concerns about feeding this teenage 'anger'. Given that they're the future generation of this country shouldn't we be trying to instill the right values and not trying to stir up all the wrong ones?

You can bet your life that no one will be brave enough to insult Allah and his peace loving followers on a t-shirt (but lets not open up that particular can of worms).

By "par for the course" I wasn't implying that t-shirts of this nature are acceptable. I meant that these bands and their followers thrive on shock value, that's all.

As for the teenage angst, every generation has to take it one step further in order to offend their elders.

Gone are the days when TV filmed Elvis from the waist up so as not to show his "offensive" hip gyrations to the world.

No longer will a ripped t-shirt and a safety pin in the ear cause apoplexy down at the Bluebell tea rooms

These days it takes a Jesus Is A **** t-shirt to even raise an eyebrow in the older generation.

What about the poor residents of Scunthorpe and Penistone - I'll be shocked if the 'filter' allows these ;)

and I'm not even going to attempt Cockermouth :)

Originally posted by liamfh

I dont see anything wrong with that Jesus tshirt. Its not serious and who cares??? Is it any worse than all the Chav girls (not aimed at anyone so I assume its all right), who wear tshirts with bitch or slut on?

no one complains about them.

The difference is that the females concerned are wearing T-Shirts that debnegrate tehmselves.

The Jesus T-shirt is being worn with the deliberate intention of offending people of a certain religion.

Joe

the pesron wearing it was probably a catholic or proestant so it makes it ok.

We couldnt wear an offensive Allah tshirt because of the reprisals but in a free country you should be able to. But it would be different, if a muslim man wore a tshirt mocking Allah who are we to tell hime he shouldnt?

the pesron wearing it was probably a catholic or proestant so it makes it ok.

<sarcasm>Yeah, the protestants and catholics I know have a habit of randomly saying 'Jesus is a c***'. It's one of those buzz-phrases, like the Lord's Prayer.</sarcasm>

Or perhaps you were being funny and I didn't get it? I dunno.

I read in the Metro this morning that a young lad was arrested and given a fine & community service for having the phrase, "Jesus is a c***" on a t-shirt. Even if I weren't religious I'd have the sense to know that if I paraded such a phrase on a t-shirt it would anger people. This t-shirt apparently by 'Cradle of Filth' [to me the name says it all] is a clear and direct attempt to evoke a response! The aforementioned idiot was charged under the new incitement to religious hatred laws that came into force recently.

[/b]

This proposed (and dreadful) legislation (incitement to religious hatred) has not yet been enacted and is currently receiving its second reading in the Lords, where, as predicted, it is receiving very short thrift. With any luck the government will be forced to radically alter, or better still abandon, the bill. Even the former archbishop of Canterbury, said that he was: “troubled by the Bill before us and feel it would weaken the social fabric of our society. It has the potential to drive a wedge between Muslim communities and the rest of us.”

http://www.parliament.the-stationery-office.co.uk/pa/ld199697/ldhansrd/pdvn/lds05/text/51011-04.htm#51011-04_head3

I'd agree that wearing a t-shirt with strong swear words on should draw the attention of the law (I don't want my four year old asking me what a c*** is) and that any attempt to put this as a civil liberty issue would be farcical (though would actually probably succeed due to European human rights legislation) but simply offending a religion is no basis for civil punishment. Yet.

Well, having looked at the site, including the various t-shirt designs on offer and listened to a couple of tracks...

All I can say is: Come back "The Osmonds", all is forgiven! ;)

We couldnt wear an offensive Allah tshirt because of the reprisals but in a free country you should be able to. But it would be different, if a muslim man wore a tshirt mocking Allah who are we to tell hime he shouldnt?

If a Muslim wore a t-shirt offensive to Islam, he could expect to be treated as an apostate and, under sharia law (which thankfully we don’t suffer here), face death.

That said, newspaper cartoonists in Denmark recently faced death threats for printing a cartoon which was seen be some Muslims as offensive to their religion.

http://www.jp.dk/english_news/artikel:aid=3318352/

And Dutch film maker Van Gogh was murdered in the street by a Muslim late last year who claimed that Van Gogh’s work was insulting to Islam.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3974179.stm

Bit more than community service isn’t it?

No wonder there isn’t a Muslim equivalent of the Life of Brian, Father Ted, Vicar of Dibley, et al. More importantly, wonder what the world would be like if there could be Muslims versions of the Life of Brian, Father Ted, Vicar of Dibley, et al….

I read in the Metro this morning that a young lad was arrested and given a fine & community service for having the phrase, "Jesus is a c***" on a t-shirt. Even if I weren't religious I'd have the sense to know that if I paraded such a phrase on a t-shirt it would anger people. This t-shirt apparently by 'Cradle of Filth' [to me the name says it all] is a clear and direct attempt to evoke a response! The aforementioned idiot was charged under the new incitement to religious hatred laws that came into force recently.

Does anybody know anything about this 'Cradle of Filth'? What do they do? Someone in my office suggested to me that they were a band of some description. My question to them would be: what has the previously mentioned flammable phrase got to do with your music exactly? I'm guessing the answer is nothing and that they're simply trying to be controversial. What sad little cretins.

If the story is even true, I hope he appeals. He (if he believed what the t-shirt said) was expressing a valid opinion. Saying that I think the pope is an ass isn't inciting anything, it's expressing an opinion.

Saying (and i'm not, so don't call the police) that you should hate catholic people because they follow the pope and he's an ass, that would be inciting something.

Originally posted by Cyclone

If the story is even true, I hope he appeals. He (if he believed what the t-shirt said) was expressing a valid opinion...

I suggest that you visit the C of F site, take a look at the slogans on the t-shirts that are for sale, including the reverse design on the one discussed on here and then come back and tell us all about his right to express a valid opinion.

The majority are intended to appeal to morons... Evidently they've got a lot of their fans sussed... ;)

EDIT: 'the' right, altered to 'his' right... my error...

Originally posted by Pseudonym

I suggest that you visit the C of F site, take a look at the slogans on the t-shirts that are for sale, including the reverse design on the one discussed on here and then come back and tell us all about his right to express a valid opinion.

The majority are intended to appeal to morons... Evidently they've got a lot of their fans sussed... ;)

EDIT: 'the' right, altered to 'his' right... my error...

we aren't talking about all their other t-shirts. Just this one and the story from the metro.

I might agree that deliberately vulgar or offensive t-shirts shouldn't be allowed, existing public decency laws might cover that issue anyway.

Using laws to stop incitement to hatement on religious grounds to stop what is in effect religious critisism (albeit rather low brow) sets a worrying precendent.