Banned words.......how many are there?

How come that certain words seem to bring out the worst in forum posters ?

I only ask in view of the fact that using the C word (Chav I meant not the one you were thinking of) seems to suddenly bring out a flurry of abuse and even threat of a ban, yet using such words a numpty and idiot and fool rarely get a mention, even though they are equally as abusive.:confused:

Originally posted by Don_Kiddick

Twonk.

I Like that word. :thumbsup:

I ought to report you for that insult...you Twonker :D

Apart from the obvious words (most of which are now in the swear filter) it's really more a case of the intent.

Certain people are sensitive to certain words or implications so we try to keep things on an even keel without letting people bait each other. It's not so much us that creates the situation or problems with 'certain words' its the members. We just react to what happens.

Various people have history that isn't always obvious - but the Mod Team has a long memory ;)

I read in the Metro this morning that a young lad was arrested and given a fine & community service for having the phrase, "Jesus is a c***" on a t-shirt. Even if I weren't religious I'd have the sense to know that if I paraded such a phrase on a t-shirt it would anger people. This t-shirt apparently by 'Cradle of Filth' [to me the name says it all] is a clear and direct attempt to evoke a response! The aforementioned idiot was charged under the new incitement to religious hatred laws that came into force recently.

Does anybody know anything about this 'Cradle of Filth'? What do they do? Someone in my office suggested to me that they were a band of some description. My question to them would be: what has the previously mentioned flammable phrase got to do with your music exactly? I'm guessing the answer is nothing and that they're simply trying to be controversial. What sad little cretins.

There was the recent "upset" about the American company that produces "Spazz chairs", they didn't see anything wrong with the name but they got loads of complaints from the UK.

Different words have different meanings in different countries, you have to be carefull.

I dont see anything wrong with that Jesus tshirt. Its not serious and who cares??? Is it any worse than all the Chav girls (not aimed at anyone so I assume its all right), who wear tshirts with bitch or slut on?

no one complains about them.

Originally posted by JonJParr

I read in the Metro this morning that a young lad was arrested and given a fine & community service for having the phrase, "Jesus is a c***" on a t-shirt. Even if I weren't religious I'd have the sense to know that if I paraded such a phrase on a t-shirt it would anger people. This t-shirt apparently by 'Cradle of Filth' [to me the name says it all] is a clear and direct attempt to evoke a response! The aforementioned idiot was charged under the new incitement to religious hatred laws that came into force recently.

Does anybody know anything about this 'Cradle of Filth'? What do they do? Someone in my office suggested to me that they were a band of some description. My question to them would be: what has the previously mentioned flammable phrase got to do with your music exactly? I'm guessing the answer is nothing and that they're simply trying to be controversial. What sad little cretins.

I'm sure the forum's very own Filthfan would take issue with you there.

Seriously, CoF are just another in a long line of Goth/thrash metal bands whose raison d'etre is to shock.

Their puerile lyrics and laughable artwork appeal to "angry" teenagers who hate the world and everything in it. You know the sort of thing.

The t-shirt you describe is par for the course for this type of band.

If you fancy a laugh, check out the CoF website:

http://www.cradleoffilth.com/cof/index.php

Originally posted by JonJParr

[/b]

The Tee shirt should have read " I am a C##t" but i find it far sadder that 1 person cpmplained to the Police. Couldn't the Mary Whitehouse, Save the lesser spotted gerbil supporter not have just treated it with the contempt it deserved? of failing that, given him a good slap?

Originally posted by nick2

There was the recent "upset" about the American company that produces "Spazz chairs", they didn't see anything wrong with the name but they got loads of complaints from the UK.

Different words have different meanings in different countries, you have to be carefull.

Not to mention all the posh folk who proudly display SMEG accross their chiiler cabinets! :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

Originally posted by mojoworking

I'm sure the forum's very own Filthfan would take issue with you there.

Seriously, COF are just another in a long line of Goth/thrash metal bands whose raison d'etre is to shock.

Their purile lyrics and laughable artwork appeal to "angry" teenagers who hate the world and everything in it. You know the sort of thing.

The t-shirt you describe is par for the course for this type of band.

'Par for the course' would suggest that the antics that this band engage in are acceptable. I happen to think that they're quite unacceptable. Perhaps they should devise another 'filthy' t-shirt that insults Allah and we'll see if the Islamic community find it acceptable. If in fact it is par for the course then I'm sure we won't witness a fatwa being issued.

On a different but related note I do have my concerns about feeding this teenage 'anger'. Given that they're the future generation of this country shouldn't we be trying to instill the right values and not trying to stir up all the wrong ones?

Originally posted by Don_Kiddick

Not to mention all the posh folk who proudly display SMEG accross their chiiler cabinets! :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

Thankfully, I believe they are no longer making those dreadful F.C.U.K t-shirts