Road closures & public transport disruption for Lib Dem conference

so disabled people are not allowed to protest?

Thank you for twisting my words.

OK, its for one week, and if ANY non-protesting person, either disabled or non-disabled is mad enough to go near the place this weekend, then they cant expect normality.

That better??

Some cities would seek to move forward but I see that you are quite happy to remain in the ghetto.

No ghetto's in Sheffield, we are generally a happy city where everyone tends to get on ... basically, butt out you are very irritating. :suspect:

Wednesday1, the whole of the open area in Barkers Pool is fenced in. Only the delegates will be able to get in or out.

There's even what looks like a "kettling pen" across the front of John Lewis, with gates, top and bottom so there's no way anyone can pass down the front of JL.

I'm disgusted with it all. The dropped/tactile kerbs have been obstructed, so anyone with a mobility problem, or visual impairment has difficulties way-finding to get from one side of Barkers Pool to the other. there's no direct clear route, and to get from one side of JL to the other you have to detour right round - no good at all if you can't walk very well.

Clearly any disabled person wanting to protest will be able to get in the pen with everyone else. If they want to get through to the other side of the pen to do some shopping they will get directed around it like everyone else.

It looks from the pictures on telly last night that there will be more than one 'kettling' site around the City Hall.

Interesting times with cuts to public services but plenty of money for police protection for Liberal Democrat delegates (2 million pounds for three days!!) I suspect that this sum will be exceeded by the cost of the heavy police presence outside Clegg's Sheffield Office when he is in town!!

If the coalition lasts for 5 years how much will it cost us all as Sheffield taxpayers to 'protect' the Deputy Prime Minister. All those guys and gals in tasteful high vis jackets sitting in police cars outside the plumber's yard must cost a few bob!!!

It looks from the pictures on telly last night that there will be more than one 'kettling' site around the City Hall.

Interesting times with cuts to public services but plenty of money for police protection for Liberal Democrat delegates (2 million pounds for three days!!) I suspect that this sum will be exceeded by the cost of the heavy police presence outside Clegg's Sheffield Office when he is in town!!

If the coalition lasts for 5 years how much will it cost us all as Sheffield taxpayers to 'protect' the Deputy Prime Minister. All those guys and gals in tasteful high vis jackets sitting in police cars outside the plumber's yard must cost a few bob!!!

They are not just protecting lib dem delegates they are protecting the general public and businesses. Some people are determined to be indignant. Blame the rioters not the libdems!:hihi:

Just been informed by the Police Mounted Unit that Rockingham street Broadlane end could be closed at any time today. This could cost money if I cannot get any collections and deliveries in today. What a farce

That's a pretty narrow minded view. I would have thought any potential jobs would be welcomed as they take pressure off the rest of the jobs market and tend to attract other business in their wake.

10 years ago no one wanted to move into Belfast when they thought there was a prospect that their investment might be burned down. Since the troubles ended it became a bit of a boom town.

And regarding disruption to public transport and businesses having to close. Company scouts look at that as well.

What???

How on earth can you compare the situation in Belfast, which was ongoing for years, with bombs and shootings, with Sheffield having a few days of legitimate protest?

Because we are entitled to demonstrate peacefully against things we don't like, even if it does upset the politicans.

Most of the protesters will be doing just that - peacefully carrying out their democratic right to tell Nick Clegg what they think of him.

I can't see "company scouts" deciding Sheffield is an unsafe place based on an isolated event.

Will Cleggy be bringing Compo and the rest of the comedy act with him?

If so expect big crowds.

What???

How on earth can you compare the situation in Belfast, which was ongoing for years, with bombs and shootings, with Sheffield having a few days of legitimate protest?

I wonder if Liz remembers this waste of money ?

The company had originally intended to build the factory in Puerto Rico but changed their plans when the Northern Ireland Development Agency offered £100 million towards it, despite an assessment by consultants hired by the NIDA that the business had only a 1-in-10 chance of success.
Edited by Grandad.Malky

So...

When and where are we meeting for this protest then?

(I for one intend to exercise my civil right to peaceful protest about something I feel strongly about, Liz.)

As this conference goes on to Sunday. I wonder what provision has been made for those who may be making their way to Church? I believe there is a legal right to worship on a Sunday and not be obstructed from it.

My post disappeared, but does anyone know if Ecclesall Road will be affected and the best route. Travelling from Rotherham.

Thanks for any help.