Road closures & public transport disruption for Lib Dem conference

Does any know of any planned road closures in the city centre for the Lib Dem conference (11th - 13th March)?

I know that buses that normally run along Pinstone Street will be diverted to Arundel Gate - will there be any more diversions or road closures? Can't see anything on the city council website or on TravelSouthYorkshire.

Thanks.

Nobody heard anything? I'd be surprised if, with the level of police preparation and predicted number of protestors, nothing has been put in place. Would be really helpful for me to know in advance if there will be any closures, thanks.

I know they're closing Balm Green off and they've said they're hoping to keep Leopold Street open unless there's an 'emergency'.

Other than that I'm not sure if they're planning to close any other roads off.

I'm sure we'll give them all a warm sheffield welcome

From the Travel South Yorkshire website regarding bus services:

Sheffield - Liberal Democrat Conference

The above is to take place from Friday 11th to Sunday 13th March.

The event will see a complete closure of roads surrounding the City Hall (not West Street) and a legal order to close Pinstone Street and Leopold Street could be implemented by SY Police at any time.

As such, buses will not serve Leopold Street on 11th, 12th or 13th March. The only service that will continue to use Pinstone Street is the Freebee and the Sheffield Night buses (N1/N2/N3)

The following routes will be subject to the following diversions;

Townhead Street services (11, 12, 81, 82, 83, 85, 88, 88A) – Angel Street stop (not 11/12) as normal then Castle Street, Haymarket and Arundel Gate (temp stop outside Adsetts Centre) and normal route.

West Street inbound services (30, 40, 44, 51, 51A, 52, 95, 120, 123, 505, 714, X30) – Carver Street, Charter Row, Moor Foot and Arundel Gate (not the 51 and 40).

High Street/Church Street outbound via Leopold Street (10A, 20, 20A, 22, 25, 25A, 42, 44 eve/sat/sun 49, 75, 76, 79, 87, 97, 98, 123 eve/sun, 798 – diverted via Arundel Gate. Temporary stopping arrangement on Arundel Gate (Freebee stop except the 42/44/49 which is the normal stop outside TJ Hughes).

Sheffield Freebee – normal operation using Norfolk Street, Surrey Street and Pinstone Street. In the event of a closure of Pinstone Street, Norfolk Street will be closed at the junction of Arundel Gate. The Freebee will divert via Arundel Gate and not serve two stops (Norfolk Street & Pinstone Street).

Sheffield Night buses – normal operation. The only stops used are outside All Bar One and the top of Fargate. Departures are at 01:00, 02:00 and 03:00 on the Saturday and Sunday morning.

http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/News/Changes+and+Disruptions.htm

Businesses in the city centre are closing on the Saturday when the demonstration is going to take place. I can't help but think it'll kick off big style when Mr Clegg comes on Saturday, he's not exactly Mr Popular around these parts is he?

LibDem website now says

Some roads in the immediate vicinity of the City Hall will be closed in the daytime on all three days (7am to 7pm but times may vary). Further temporary closures may be made.

...and judging by the "ring of steel" that's being erected around the City Hall, this has already started!

tell the spa on division st not to throw the rotten tomatoes away.

pure profit.

Does anyone know which businesses are closing on the Saturday.

tell the spa on division st not to throw the rotten tomatoes away.

pure profit.

id rather they lost the tomatoes, i hear (see) that John Lewis must include 'becoming part of the **** throwing anti-protester brigade' as part of their job descriptions.

There will be some full/partial road closures in place in the immediate vicinity of City Hall. These will be in place between 7am and 7pm on all three conference days.

Additional parking restrictions will take place in the City Centre, with a number of on street parking bays taken out of use all weekend. There will be no parking throughout the weekend on surrey Street, Trippet Lane and Carver Street.

During the daytime, the taxi rank in Barkers Pool will be relocated to the bus stops on Pinstone Street.

Public information will be published via South Yorkshire Police website and facebook page as well as on twitter at SYPTweet and InspJForrest.

Thank you