Which is better - Kindle or Sony e-reader?

Sorry that wasn't very clear.

No. The Kindle does not have backlighting. Which for me personally is the better option.

Agreed. Anything backlit must be LCD rather than e-ink, which makes them much less pleasant to read (IMHO anyway, t'wife is happy reading books on her iphone).

I can only compare the Kindle with an i Pad. The Kindle is a much better reading experience.

The Kindle looks very nice but for me its a case of style over substance.

I much prefer the look, feel, smell and price of my books (mainly second hand).

I purchased a Sony PRS600 touch screen over a year ago and am really pleased with it. It is a nice size and light enough to hold comfortably, really slim and quite stylish in its brushed silver finish.

Ebooks are easy to purchase and download from stores such as WH Smiths and Waterstones and there are many sites which supply a large choice of quality free books.

The internal memory is enough to hold more than enough books but storage size can expanded via the two memory card slots provided.

Books can be stored/sorted in either the default title or author mode or you can create your own criteria.

The screen is not backlit because it uses e-paper technology making it easy on the eyes and text size is changeable from small to extra large making text easy to read. Some critics say the screen is dull and can be difficult to manage in poor light - but surely the same can be said of real books.

I find the on board dictionary useful and is easily activated by tapping the word twice using the supplied stylus or a finger nail. You can even use the stylus to write your own notes/comments, highlight text etc and then choose to hide or display these until you require them again . Useful for students etc.

Battery life is pretty impressive so far and charges from a PC via the supplied USB cable taking a couple of hours from completely drained.

Other file types such as doc, pdf and txt are supported.

OK the kindle has a wireless connection and the Sony does not but I wanted to purchase a book reader and have the laptop and mobile to access the web. I don't really need the book reader to connect to the web.