3D or not to 3D?

Do you think it makes a difference for your viewing experience? Enhance it or does it take away from the story?

Absolutely loathe 3D. It's a gimmick and I can't fathom how it's suddenly become vogue to have it in just about every movie ever!

Done well it makes the film an even more immersive experience. Done poorly and it becomes a distraction.

Went to see the green hornet in 3D a few weeks back. The best 3D part about the film was the end credits. Seen a few in 3D and all have been disappointing, barring one i expected to be crap. G-Force

After seeing a few (mostly with the kids), I'd agree with Natureboy. The best I've seen was Monsters v Aliens. The worst by far has to be Clash of the Titans.

I'm saving my money, and not bothering with any more 3D versions (last was Toy Story 3). It became too much of a distraction as we found we spent too much time moaning about the effects to enjoy the movie.

Only works well with certain films. Personally, i thought it worked really well for "Monsters vs Aliens" and "Tron Legacy".

But to be honest i don't think it works for everything.

Only works well with certain films. Personally, i thought it worked really well for "Monsters vs Aliens" and "Tron Legacy".

But to be honest i don't think it works for everything.

I thought 3d worked amazingly well with final destination 4 and my bloody valentine, only two ive seen in 3d and i was very impressed, then again i did get to see jensen ackles so close i felt i could touch him:love::love::love::love:

I got bored after about half an hour into Avatar with the 3D. Sometimes you just want to sit back and watch a film. For me 3D had me having to process the image rather than simply watch it. Christopher Nolan has said similar about why the new Batman film won’t be 3D. Don't get me 3D has its place for some films but not others. Can you imagine a 3D The Godfather!! Aaaaarrrggghh!

I respect Nolan standing away from 3D, viewing The Dark Knight and hopefully The Dark Knight Rises in IMAX will be my best 2 cinema experiences.

I enjoyed Avater in 3D at cinema though I also enjoyed it normally, aslong as it's filmed in 3D properly to work with it and not just filmed normally then adapted to 3D.

Transformers: Dark of the Moon will probably be decent experience in 3D, but saying that I always try to stay away from it.

I read an interview with Cameron when Avatar had just come out.

He pointed out that this was the 3rd 3D revolution, each coming at a time when Hollywood proffits were droping (this time due to piracy) and it was a way of boosting share prices in a downturn.

He said what is different this time is that the technology is so brilliant that 3D can be used not just as a gymick, but to add depth to a film.

He talked about seeing a vista in 3D, looking into the screen, but he also said that he knows that this 3D revolution will fail just like the others because directors just cannot resist using the tech to create a cheap shock. By having axes fly out of the screen or pirhanas jumping out at the viewer. This unimaginitve use of the tech completely removes the illusion of involvment, as with lazy direction which has characters and props in the forground going off the edge of the screen, leaving the viewer with a blury image that just doesn't work.

I agree completely, and what I like most about Avatar (thought there's plenty I don't like) is that the 3D was used perfectly.

I don't really like 3D, the specs do my head in, and are constantly mucky and impossible to clean well; but also I think the image on screen looks funny, the way light hits sweaty skin in two directions always makes me wonder why I'm bothering.

I don't mind 3D, although I do object on principle to Cineworld's policy of charging an extra £1.50 for 3D films even if I'm already carrying a pair of 3D glasses, especially when I already pay them £14.99 a month for the Unlimited card.

im not into 3d films i spend half the film ajusting the 3d glasses over my normal glasses trying to get them to stay on my nose is a real pain