Pollards coffee shop

It was mentioned on Radio Sheffield this morning that business had dropped from 700 customers a day to under 70. It seems that if a few more folk who now claim they loved the place actually used it things might have been different.:huh:

They have more than seventy customers per day, ive been in on a Saturday morning when its been completely full,well around sixty customers & within 1hour they have left and been replaced by the same amount then there is the afternoon customers to count, I think the footfall means people going PAST the shop.

It's a shame, my Grandparents and their generation love it in there, it seems to have once been a Sheffield institution and up to recently was a beacon for many of the City's senior community, where they might see a familiar face and perhaps bump into someone they knew.

The problem is that they didn't invest in themselves enough. Their strengths that they didn't emphasise was the quality and variety of their fresh products. Their weaknesses were their stuffy image, not all ages want to sit down in a less than bright atmosphere with a "frothy coffee" and eat from a menu which hasn't changed in the last 10 years. They didn't re-vitalise their image or keep their outlook modern. they used an "ain't broke - don't fix" mentality and eventually the core customers are dying out and new customers aren't being attracted.

That's business unfortunately.

When is it to close, does anyone know? I've only recently moved to Sheffield and have wanted to visit since I've been here but i've been too busy.

(I know that's probably the excuse that's driving them out of business...!)

When is it to close, does anyone know? I've only recently moved to Sheffield and have wanted to visit since I've been here but i've been too busy.

(I know that's probably the excuse that's driving them out of business...!)

Tomorrow Im afraid.

Went there at lunchtime, people are queuing up buying up all the tea, very sad sight. :(

Tomorrow Im afraid.

Oh no! Was this only announced today? If so...that's so sudden :(

I regularly use to frequent Pollards in Sheffield but as i visit the city centre less than once a year during the daytime my business disappeared. I always used the one at Meadowhall until they closed that one,perhaps it may reopen.

Always went in when in city, proper tea served with strainers in teapots, not a bag in a mug. Jacket spuds a must for lunch. However they are still able to supply tea and coffee I think as a friend of mine sells coffee machines and they are his suppliers and he said he will still be able to get this.

This is a damn shame - and yes, I say that as someone who goes in there at regular intervals. With the old photos on the wall it felt like one of the few places left that had a tangible connection to the city's (and its own) local history. Very sorry to see it go.

This is a real shame. The best place in town for tea and coffee; I bought all mine there. Is there anywhere else which will grind it for you? The cafe was great value, too.

Just been in with Dozy for our last coffee there. Very sad to see it go.