Sheffield Pubs - decent beer in a proper pub?

First of all, lay off students, they're still people like you. As for good pubs, try the Red Deer off West St, also further up The Bath Hotel, down by the railway station the Sheffield Tap, also have a look at The Old Queens Head near Ponds Forge.

---------- Post added 10-09-2016 at 00:30 ----------

What does 'Sheffield born customers' have to do with being a good pub?

I think I mis-stated myself there, and thank you.

Agreed Devonshire Cat is decent

:thumbsup:

Ah! Well I see your problem. For the type of pub you are looking for I can only suggest the "The Lescar", or possibly the Banner Cross (nice quiet snooker room).

A bit further afield is "The Vine" on Cemetary Road, but I've a feeling that that may be a bit too "studenty" for your liking.

Happy hunting

Nomme

The Vine closed down about 4 years ago.

---------- Post added 14-09-2016 at 13:24 ----------

The Cremorne on London Road do a nice Black Sheep on draught, and Tetley's. There's also the Red Lion round by the Stoddart Building (Hallam Uni) - over the road from the Yorkshire Grey and that one opposite that used to be the Roebuck, but I've lost track with the name changes! (Tho' these 2 might be a bit too studenty).

You could also try the pubs off the Moor; The Pump, Moorfoot Tavern. And there's the Devonshire Arms at the very bottom of Ecclesall Road.

Here's a good link: http://www.sheffpub.co.uk/pubs/index.asp

And this looks to be the latest version of sheffield camra: http://www.u26camra.f9.co.uk/

The Pump was demolshed about 10 years ago, The Moorfoot Tavern has been arestaurant for at least 2 years and The Devonshire Arms was bulldozed about 5 years ago.

The Vine closed down about 4 years ago.

---------- Post added 14-09-2016 at 13:24 ----------

The Pump was demolshed about 10 years ago, The Moorfoot Tavern has been arestaurant for at least 2 years and The Devonshire Arms was bulldozed about 5 years ago.

This thread is 13 years old though.

Fair point.

I notice the Devonshire Cat has been mentioned a few times with the rebirth of this thread.

It's being completely refurbished and making lots of changes in the coming months. Lots of the same beers on but losing its traditional edge. May disappoint some people but excites lady drinkers like me!

I notice the Devonshire Cat has been mentioned a few times with the rebirth of this thread.

It's being completely refurbished and making lots of changes in the coming months. Lots of the same beers on but losing its traditional edge. May disappoint some people but excites lady drinkers like me!

It's about time - it looked dated when it opened with all that pine furniture. The bar is too small for the size of place. It's too echoey which makes it far too noisy when full.

It's about time - it looked dated when it opened with all that pine furniture. The bar is too small for the size of place. It's too echoey which makes it far too noisy when full.

Especially with Friday after work blokes crowds. Not wishing to generalise but.....a'holes usually.

Awful place The Dev Cat, they can't possibly make it worse so this news to be welcomed. Not sure anything about it could be described as traditional either.

I got all excited reading about £1.30 pints until I realised the post was from 2004.

One of my friends has recommended somewhere she thinks was called The Bear around the city centre. Does that exist and is it any good?

It's a Sam Smith's pub (Think that's right) so most stuff is their own made brands which varies in reviews I've seen it. I do like the cider they do though. It is called The Brown Bear and backs onto Tudor Square. The atmosphere can feel a bit "local". Some folks each and every time you go in, generally of an older demographic.

Glad it's a real place. I'll give it a go and see if I like it.

What should I expect to pay for a pint in Sheffield? So far I've only been to the Tap and that was a little pricier than I'd expected, but still cheaper than I'm used to.